Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

FFV Owners...your help and experience needed!

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  AbsolutGT 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

Okay, so it's been a minute since I've been back on here since I traded in my DC, but I remember some of the guys with FFV's having issues...I don't recall what, but I do remember, that S/C is out of the option unless you want to pay big bucks...no biggy, don't plan on one.

How has maintence been? any big things I need to look out for or be aware of what I'm getting into?

a dealer north of my parents just threw a pretty good deal on a 2014 MGM Crewmax 4x4 5.7FFV...I never plan on running ethanol as it's not really locally found around here

Has Toyota worked out the issues that were first reported? I just remember the FFV guys in the last gen model complaining about the truck dying or surging, and some other issues, I might be off, but I just remember FFV was brought up alot.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Same as stated. Zero issues, no SC in the future planned. Oil changes are every 5K miles as opposed to 10K. Not sure if that is good or bad. I have E85 here, never ran it, don't plan on it. Just didn't care enough to go looking for a non-flex.

I have about 11K miles now. Mileage is the same as my 11 and 12 which were both non-flex.

Reactions: AbsolutGT
#4 ·
Holy Hell! you got a new truck!!

Don't know if you remember me, but I was the guy that got burned on those knockoff wheel spacers a few years back, and you hooked me up with yours!

Anyways, every 5k, eh? 0w20? I guess that's not too horrible of a deal, because that was the freq I was changing my oil in my old truck anyways...something about 10k for an oil change never sat right with me.

#6 ·
Just wait some one will chime in and shame anyone that buys a FF truck. I have a 2013 FF 5.7 16000 miles no issues never will ever put e85 in my truck and will never have a problem. Just go buy the damn truck and don't let anyone tell you other wise. Especially if you are not wanting a super charger. Enjoy and F them people that tell you not to buy one. You ll be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
I bought a Tundra back in May, and it never occurred to me to even check if it was a FF. I kinda assumed that they pretty much all are, so I didn't care either way.

I have not had a single issue other than having some smoke at startup for a couple of days, which I pretty much ruled was due to bad gas. It only did it with one specific tank, which was Shell oddly enough. I ran that tank out and it's been fine since.

I did a fair amount of research prior to purchasing, and I didn't see anything to scare me away from a FFV. If they were troublesome, it would be a widely known issue- it isn't. I think the whole FF vs. non-FF is really propagated by those that are paranoid or just want to feel like they got a leg up on other owners by being savvy.

#8 ·
Tundergas, things are going! Still chugging along with Uncle Sam! On a side note, I started my own custom design tshirt company!

Wyo, personally I don't give two flips what anyone thinks or says about what i own, unless they are making payments for me, I take most everything with a grain of salt.

Coolslice, thanks buddy! Actually you just brought it up!! I now recall that a few of the 12-13 FFV owners talking about smoke on cold start ups! It's not that I care what non FFV owners say, I just wanted to make sure I was getting a solid truck, bc whatever I get, I'm gonna have to keep it for awhile bc I'm losing my ass on buying new vehicles and then getting rid after two years!

Anyways, this is one of the trucks a dealer has been pushing pretty hard, and to be honest, it's really reasonbly priced! It's a 4x4 sr5 non trd with a dealer installed toytec leveling kit with diff drop,wheels and tires. Not a huge fan of the wheels, but warrantied truck! I know, I know, plenty going to say they would rather build it than buy it...it was just an option that's out there

Attachments

#14 ·
I know, I know, plenty going to say they would rather build it than buy it...it was just an option that's out there
Putting a lift/level on a truck and wheels/tires/stereo isn't "building" a truck, it's throwing parts at it.

I've built cars and trucks, it starts with a bare frame and ends wherever you or your wallet say so. I'd buy that truck in a heart beat, save me the trouble of messing with it myself and it's warrantied.

That said, I've got 19k on my 12 FFV without a single issue, mpg ranges from 10.6 to 16.8 depending on how and where I'm driving or what I'm towing.

Of all the things I strongly can't stand about a Tundra, the engine/drivetrain isn't one of them and it's performed flawlessly.

#11 ·
Just curious, but I just purchased a sweet 2014 metallic blue TSS with the flex fuel option. The owner's maintenance schedule that came with the truck stated that if you run ethanol 50% of the time or more that the oil changes are every 2500 miles otherwise every 5000 miles. When I had my 2010 FJ Cruiser the manual said every 5000 but the dealer said every 10000. I had a platinum contract on it to make it easier on my wife to get her truck serviced and I held them to the 5000 miles like the book called for.

#12 ·
FFV here with not one issue. I do not run E85 or ever plan to run E85.

#15 ·
I have a 14 FFV and have 15k on it already without a single engine issue. I will say I wish I could change the oil every 10k vs 5k that would be a big savings over the life of the truck. The dealer should have told me that. I only run the 87 octane, I have not tried any E85 and I probably won't. Truly gas mileage is my only complaint about the truck, I rarely ever get more than 15mpg... Buy the truck it's awesome....

#16 ·
Well that sucked.

Went to Carmax yesterday to get appraisal on my wife's car since the dealer said they'd probably only do 13k, Carmax offered 14k so dealer matched the appraisal and I was planning on getting off work early today and making the 2hr trip to go see it and more than likely purchase it...well, it was sold last night by another salesman.

My salesman said his dealer network has 0 magnetic gray crewcab's 4x4 anywhere in the state that's not a 1794 or platinum, well crap. Back to looking

#19 ·
No. I think most 4X4s are FFV, but some are not. I'm fairly certain that some regions however, only get the FFV, while non-flex are available in others. If you are in that situation, you can still get a non-flex if your dealer is willing to do a trade with another dealer, or if you are willing to travel to buy elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.