Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Dashcam install/pillar removal question...

21K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  M3anBIMMER 
#1 · (Edited)
Dashcam install/pillar removal question [RESOLVED]

Hey all! I just picked up my 2014 CM 5.7L yesterday, and I am going to begin the process of installing my dashcam. In my FJ, I ran the wire up along the headliner, down the a-pillar, and into the appropriate fuses in the fusebox located in the cabin. It was a simple install in the FJ, and seems as if it will be, with my Tundra. I just have a few questions.

I have searched high and low throughout the web, and I cannot for the life of me, find pictures or explanations as to how I:
  • Remove the driver's side A-pillar trim piece
  • Remove the driver's side door sill and kick panel (I assume the former must be removed before the latter?)
  • Access the fuse panel up in the trenches of the footwell

With the A-pillar, there do not appear to be any bolts that would fasten the pillar to the pillar itself. Would it just pull off with a little bit of force?

If anyone has input, pictures (ideally), tips or tricks, it would be greatly appreciated. Again, I have a 2014 Tundra Crewmax.

I would be more than happy to post pictures and whatnot, during and after I do the install...I just need a little bit of help starting out.

Thanks guys!

--Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
Be wary of the airbag

#4 ·
Holy cow, thank you so much for this!!! Looks like I'll be installing my dashcam tonight!

I'll keep this thread updated.

#6 ·
I've run into a bit of a snag.

I am hardwiring the cam into the truck. One wire goes into the accessory fuse, and another one goes into a fuse that always receives power. I tried the "TAIL" fuse, however, the cam only turns on when the lights are all the way on.

Do you know of another fuse that I can use. Here's the panel.

#7 ·
Are the seats able to move without the key?

#11 ·
As promised, I will deliver :)

I know how valuable pictures for various and sundry mods can be for some folks. So here are some pictures of the steps I took to hardwire my dashcam :)

This is what the knee panel looks like when it's unmounted. Running across the top, and I think toward the hood lever, there are two 10mm bolts that need to be removed, as well as several push connectors (that's what I call them), and they pull straight out. There are four of them going across the top of the panel, all the way to the other side of the steering wheel, and I think there is one more on the lower left somewhere.

Here, I had to remove the door sill and footwell kick panel, to access the Godforsaken, irritating as f*ck to access, upside down fuse panel. I lost a 15amp fuse in the process...

Anyhoot, the door sill lifts and pops out; it takes a little bit of force to pry it up. Start from the right hand side, and work your way to the front of the truck. The strip overlaps the kick panel; you can remove the kick panel once you remove the door sill. The kick panel has one plastic screw/fastener thing that you can remove by hand, or with a star shaped screwdriver. Once the screw is removed, everything pulls right out, and now you have access to the Godforsaken, irritating as f*ck to access, upside down fuse panel...yay!

There it is, the Godforsaken, irritating as f*ck to access, upside down fuse panel...

Here is what it looks like from afar. Note, the A-pillar trim is removed.

A huge shout-out to @Azblue for pointing me in the right direction.

Here is a link to the page that contains a PDF (with pictures), that shows how to remove the A-pillar (so I can run the wire from the cam across the headliner, down to the Godforsaken, irritating as f*ck to access, upside down fuse panel).

I thought it would be a very similar process to my FJ's, but I wasn't 100% certain. Turns out that I was correct :)

I believe this is the correct picture of how I hardwired the cam into the truck. This may or may not be the one I took when I tried tapping into the tail lamps at first. I ended up tapping into the ACC (of course) and the front driver's power seat fuses. The ground I used was the bolt located right beside the hood lever.

There's my wire that I ran up through the dash, up the A-pillar, and across the headliner. It was a fairly simple step. And in the center, are my dashcam and its windshield mount.

A shot of the A-pillar all back in place.

Another angle, which shows that the wire is tucked in there pretty good.

And there we have it...dashcam installed!

I absolutely love driving with my Blackvue. It's very nice to have that extra sense of security while driving (heck, even while parked or stopped at a light).

Ta-da! I screencapped this from my camera's app, via wifi.

I have not had an opportunity to take the Tundra out yet today; here is a playlist of footage that was recorded when I had this camera in my FJ. Enjoy!

Link to my "Why I Have A Dashcam" playlist on my YouTube channel

If anyone has any questions, or would like more pictures, steps explained, or whatever, by all means, feel free to message me!

Now...to put a couple of my new decals on the rear window ;)

Have a great day guys,

--Jim

#13 ·
Thanks! Oh, the fuse panel? Of course it's easy to access! In fact, I could sit there on my running board all day long, swapping out fuses :liar:

Reactions: Azblue
#14 ·
DId the camera have a cigarette plug and you cut the plug off to get it to bare wire?

#16 ·
It came with a cigarette lighter plug, a ground wire, a wire to wrap around the ACC fuse, and a wire to wrap around a fuse that always receives power. No cutting was required.

#15 ·
Nice install, but Im sorry to say you did way more work than you had to. All the wiring you need to tap into is right there in the rear view mirror. That's where I'm running my Blackvue from. I tapped into the switched power (there is also constant power) and installed a 12v socket. Then I plugged the camera cable into it (I didnt want to cut the camera cable).

#17 ·
Thanks!

Someone earlier mentioned that I can tap into the mirror, but I wasn't sure as to how I'd go about doing that. I ordered the PowerMagic Pro with my Blackvue, because I wanted the camera to record for x amount of time when the truck's turned off completely, as well as all of the wiring to be completely hidden. I'll definitely keep the mirror power in mind for future reference, though!

#20 ·
I ordered everything from Amazon, along with a 64GB micro sd card, and PowerMagic pro, which enables hardwiring into the truck. A USB card reader comes with the camera, as well.

This is the one I ordered way back when.

And , which is definitely worth looking into.

#23 ·
I've got a 400HD that I was going to install in my car but never got around to it.

If someone is interested shoot me a PM. $200. It's brand new (NOT A REFURB) in the box and comes with the factory 16GB microSD (can go up to 32GB).

sorry to threadjack!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.