Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Weak Sheet metal?

10K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  supton 
#1 ·
After owning my truck a few months, I've actually found something that I don't like about it. The sheet metal is way too weak/dentable is areas that you would thing rigidity would be important. I ride dirt bikes and I'm constantly using the bed.....

First area is the tail gate, I closed my tail gate with the palm of my hands, perhaps it was a little harder than gently closing it, and the it slightly dented. Not a deep dent, but enough to have to go to a seamless dent repair shop and think WTF.

Second area is the actual bed fascia. Loading my bike, I reached over into the bed to grab something and the bed fascia flexed...It didn't dent, but it flexed enough for me to think it dented...was an tightening of the colon wall moment.

Fenders---I leaned against the fender, and it slightly dented.

Now I have to go spend $175 for paintless dent removal.

#3 ·
I agree..My bed is way dented up..sides, wheel wells are about caved in and the outsid of the bed has little dents all over from leaning on it. Its a 2013 with 15k all dented to fawk...not good

#4 ·
I have never caused dents in either of those scenarios. What, do you weigh 400 pounds and bench 500 and not know your own strength or something?

My reply to these kinds of issues remains pretty much the same. 40 years ago you could expect 12 mpg from a 3500 pound muscle car that had 400 hp and 400 pounds of torque.

Today you can expect 14-18 mpg from a 6000 pound 4x4 half ton with about 400 hp and 400 pounds of torque THAT IS NOT A WHOLE LOT SLOWER THAN THE 40 YEAR OLD MUSCLE CAR.

Something had to give. Thin sheet metal panels saves a lot of weight.

#5 ·
I agree with you, I also ride dirtbikes. First rule is never reach from the side of the truck into the bed, always from the back. I once took my '07 to a body shop and they told me I had 17 dings down just the one side.......17.....lol....wtf Still, I love my Tundra! Am now thinking about body armor in the future....

#6 ·
Yes, because of the government mandate on the mpg, automakers will utilize lighter and lighter material. I heard that some crazy automakers are going with aluminum in the near future. Since they already produce flawless vehicles, this new venture should cause absolutely no problem whatsoever. :D

Reactions: bbq247265
#8 ·
No dents on mine yet (knock on wood) ! I try to be careful not too lean too hard against the bedsides when I need to grab something in the bed. The Tundra has a very large, deep bed and it's not so easy to reach stuff in the middle. It's also not so easy to climb in the bed when it's full of stuff. I carry a step ladder with me to allow easier access from the sides and I am thinking about buying one of those cargo sticks that have hooks on the end that grab onto items. They probably won't work on large, heavy items though.

#10 ·
When I had a dent in the tailgate repaired on my 6 week old truck :banghead: the autobody shop said not to close the tailgate by pusing in the center below the handle because of the weak structure inside the tailgate. It only cost me $500 to gain this information. I am passing on to you for free.

#13 ·
I would be all for plastic...scratch the stuff..etc still black Dents pull right out. LIght...bring it.

#25 ·
My favorite are the private plow contractors the town hires to plow the back road/streets of a local town/city and they don't even bother to put the plow protectors right to the pavement because they don't want to damage it and buy new ones or they pull stunts like just plowing down the center of a one way street with plenty of snow on both sides to save time causing the homeowner to shovel 4' out into the street to get to the plowed section.

#26 ·
they pull stunts like just plowing down the center of a one way street with plenty of snow on both sides to save time causing the homeowner to shovel 4' out into the street to get to the plowed section.
Trying not to get to far off topic, but why do I understand this post..I have a home in MA.

Reactions: Jack McCarthy
#27 ·
I don't work my truck at all, treat it more like a car. One that gets lousy mpg but moves trash to the transfer station in better style.

What is with this tailgate thing? I only close my tailgate using one of two methods: hand on top of the gate, where it is Line-X; or right on the handle. Smudges the paint otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.