Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

5.7 oil filter relocation?

12K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  restosud 
#1 ·
I've found some kits out there for this, but they look like they are "universal" kits. Does anyone know of a specific one that will work on a 2011 5.7? Will the Amsoil one work?

#4 ·
I would bet it is because of the skid plate. That seems to be about 75% of the bitching about oil changes with this truck and the other 25% bitching is the cartridge filter. To some, that extra level of difficulty is well, difficult for them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Screw that man....for an extra $25.00 I can sit in a warm waiting room and have someone else do it.

I did my own oil changes for years. I actually still do one or two a year just so I know I have had my own eyes on it. But I always do those in the warmer months ;)

For less than $100.00 a year I don't have to crawl under there on my back, drop skids, make a friggin mess pulling the filter, refill, replace skids, clean up, dispose of the used oil. Easy decision in my book.

I save that much 5 times over by washing/waxing/detailing the truck myself...

#10 ·
And have your engine destroyed when the "tech" forgets to put oil in, puts the wrong oil in, doesn't remove the old filter, puts the filter gasket in the wrong groove resulting in massive oil loss within a mile or two, strips your oil plug, forgets the oil plug, forgets to put the filler cap back on, etc. All of these things have happened and have been posted on this forum. I'll keep changing my own oil until I'm too old and can't get back up off the floor.

#17 ·
I used some loctite on my drain plug, ez-on off. Never thought using it made sense for me. Not turning the housing completely seated likely isn't an issue due to oil leaks. it could affect the bi-pass spring tension though allowing some oil to slip by the filter ends if not completely seated.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#20 ·
I've got no problem changing my own oil - I just haven't done it for years (given that I used to live in Asia, no garage and sometimes no car!)

Now that I am back in the US - I might start doing my own. I had my VW oil change done by Valvoline the other day and I stood right in the bay and watched the tech. He showed me everything - and had me confirm oil level after replacement etc. Ok, I didnt get under the vehicle to check sump plug and oil filter - but I was convinced they did an acceptable job.

#21 ·
My solution

I have owned an '07 Double Cab, a '10 Crewmax and just purchased a 2014 Double Cab. On the first oil change I will remove the skid plate and cut about a 5"-6" hole to give me future access to the filter. I sand down the edges as to not cut myself in the future. I have done this on the last two Tundras and have never had a problem. It takes it back to being a 15 minute oil change. Unless you are doing some serious off roading, having the whole there is no big deal.....IMO

#22 ·
I haven't done my first oil change, but it sounds like I'm going to be missing the conventional oil filter. So simple, just twist off and go. I guess there's a reason for this type of oil filter??

#24 ·
Actually it's a great idea, poorly executed.

On my vw I can get to the filter topside; I put a shopping bag next to the filter and drop the works into it. Then vacuum out the oil thro the dipstick. No catch pan used, no crawling on the ground. Simple, easy.

#29 ·
My 2005 Tacoma V6 had the neatest on top of the engine screw on cartridge oil filter. Open the hood and unscrew filter and put in new cart. So simple but my 2016 Tundra with the 5.7 and skid plate and the plastic cart with element is just a throw back idea that really makes me question Toyota any more. If anyone comes across a relocation kit for the 5.7 Tundra engine let me know... I will put one on in a minute. Someone with the tools could really make some money creating a kit for us?
Let me know if you see one.... bob anderson, Albuquerque, NM citizen@comcast.net

#31 ·
Thanks Ben,

I hope someone comes up with a whole kit and not too expensive. My back does not allow me at my age anymore to get under the truck like I used too. I need simple solutions like this.

I wonder why Toyota went to all this effort to make it hard for us owners to change out own oil - an old American tradition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.