2014 Ram VS Tundra Consumer Reports - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2014 Ram VS Tundra Consumer Reports

So im deciding to join the tundra family this September up here in Alaska, excited would be an understatement. I have always loved the tundra since Gen 1 and will take a good look at the 14 body style when I can see it in person.

At work today I read this article fresh off the press from consumer reports on the new 1500 Ram. Up here in Anchorage the tundra family is strong I would say I see them everywhere, but rams are popping up quite a bit. My coworker drives a new Laramie 1500 and wow it's a nice truck. But looks to me is not as important reliability and we all know thats what Toyota is really known for, but this article states otherwise..

Im a firm believe in trying out the competition and Sept I will drive the ram line and take a good strong look. I will also take a good look at the 14 and if Im not a fan of the body style of the 14 Platinum and interior i will get a great deal on the 13. One way to look at it is I'm in a great situation for the truck I've been waiting for in whatever my decision is. Any insight on this link below?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...180410736.html

"If the link makes you register just type 2014 Tundra into google NEWS and hit time of a day "24hr" and you will see it on the wall street news"

Last edited by Tundra2014; 07-16-2013 at 01:38 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tundra2014 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (07-16-2013), wacked (07-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 AM
"Seahawks Hater"
Premium Member

Thanked 4,667 Times in 2,250 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Have to be a member to read article.

However, I'd agree that ram probably hot right now but it's just a phase. Just like when the tundra came out, the Eco boost. And all these cosmetics ram is doing. Depreciation and questionable reliability will always hang around ram
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tundrakountry For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013), harvickman29 (07-16-2013), Ironmanjay (07-17-2013), Mr. Creosote (07-16-2013), sanchez (07-17-2013), wacked (07-16-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 5,710 Times in 2,358 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
I can't really accept any sentence with the words "Ram" and "top" in the same sentence unless said sentence also contains "failure." I have a bad track record with Dodge and would drive a Prius before I bought another one.

Simply my opinion

Supercharged 2012 5.7 CM TX Edition Silver Sky
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RyteSyde For This Useful Post:
dansto82 (07-17-2013), FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013), kstateskier (07-30-2013), morser77 (07-17-2013), Mr. Creosote (07-16-2013), thetastelingers (07-16-2013), wacked (07-16-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:54 AM

(Thread Starter)
That is what i wanted to get out of this thread to hear the track record of Ram. As stated in my original post I'm excited to join the tundra thread. But there is nothing wrong with comparing the competitor towards the Tundra. When buying anything at this high of value I feel like it's a necessity to check other brands. I'm just wondering where consumer reports comes up with this data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyteSyde View Post
I can't really accept any sentence with the words "Ram" and "top" in the same sentence unless said sentence also contains "failure." I have a bad track record with Dodge and would drive a Prius before I bought another one.

Simply my opinion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tundra2014 For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013), wacked (07-16-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
my 2005 ram with 54k on it costed me more in maint. costs than my tundra has in 75k... in 54k, i replaced a rear end, front diff, transfere case, a wheel bearing, lower right ball joint, and both upper control arms. not to mention 3 egr valves, all the lifters, and timing chain guides, AND brakes front and rear twice.

the tundra on the other hand has had 2 air filters, oil changes, and i am putting brakes on it when i get home for mid tour. it also had worse fuel economy than my tundra. so dollar for dollar the tundra has saved me money long term.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakec2789 For This Useful Post:
cueto (07-30-2013), Db8typer (07-20-2013), FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013), wacked (07-16-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 AM

The hemis pull like a freight train in high rpm, but not low rpm, the transmissions are an embarrassment to the truck world, compared to fords SD trannies with the fully manual mode. "Not the only reason they are better for hauling purposes" First gear is very high "or low depending on how you look at it. But coming off a stoplight you might as well be in second gear. I have hemis, cummins, and all other sorts of truck at work, that I drive daily. And for hauling heavy loads the dodge hemi setup has left out some key factors. Especially the tow/haul mode which has become very important nowadays. I would throw money at a ford before dodge any day, simply for ease of operation and functional purposes. Please take a good hard look at the hemis before you commit. There's nothing worse than supporting a brand that doesn't best serve the more functional purpose of a truck at the end of the day. ie, low rpm torque, proper gearing for the tranny, suspension that doesn't feel overwhelmed by moderate loads. Good luck with your search!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Remember, We do it nice, because we do it twice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AKtrd For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013), Swampthing (07-20-2013), thetastelingers (07-16-2013), wacked (07-16-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanked 3,695 Times in 1,880 Posts
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrakountry View Post
Have to be a member to read article.

However, I'd agree that ram probably hot right now but it's just a phase. Just like when the tundra came out, the Eco boost. And all these cosmetics ram is doing. Depreciation and questionable reliability will always hang around ram
Quote:

Simply my opinion
What about?? The ram had a set of horns on top of his head.

Silly Ram's 5.7L's are for Tundra's
magnaflow / 2" leveling kit / airlift loadlifter 5k / TRD CAI with afE pro dry s / TRD rear sway bar / XSP LED DRL's
Rockwarrior club member #45
The Following User Says Thank You to j_fuggin_t For This Useful Post:
wacked (07-16-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM

Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,052 Posts
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I like the body styling of the Ram. It was my first choice of pickup, but the Tundra was less expensive, so I went with the 'smart' buy. I didnt even test drive one after seeing the sticker price.

I've never owned a Ram, or a Dodge for that matter, so I have no frame of concept for reliability. All I 'know' about them is the bashing they get here.

Yahoo!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ponyuk For This Useful Post:
Molinocasper (05-21-2014), wacked (07-16-2013)
#9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 5,710 Times in 2,358 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fuggin_t View Post
What about?? The ram had a set of horns on top of his head.

The ram had a set of horns on top of his head but j_fuggin_t missed the shot so his right of passage into manhood was a failure.

^^^ True story bro

Supercharged 2012 5.7 CM TX Edition Silver Sky
The Following User Says Thank You to RyteSyde For This Useful Post:
j_fuggin_t (07-16-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM

in all fairness the 2013 RAM is a completely different animal.. It's true that the previous RAM's have been pretty shite when it came to reliability.. But Transmission to suspension.. everything is different about the RAM.

We talked about it here in Test Drove a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie

So I wouldn't write off the current gen RAM based on previous ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to kriskmk For This Useful Post:
Breathing Borla (07-17-2013)
#11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just make sure when you read that thread you also look at post like mine...Guys who have had the "new" RAM and also an 06 Dodge Power WAgon....I had terrible issues also stated in that thread....I was once also hardcore RAM and thought it was the best truck on the road, that was until they both started falling apart beforem 20k miles...If your looking for a truck to keep a year or the RAM is okay at tops...ANything you want over 20k miles on I wouldn't dare buy one....I HOPE I'm wrong but I have a deep feeling those ole boys on that thread will find out before long just what I'm saying...No way so may people have SO many problems with those trucks...It's funny because I was looking at alot of trucks when I bought the 06 and this guy at the lot told me " Fair warning stay they hell away from Dodge/Chrysler/RAM" boy should I have listened, not once but they got me twice...I have bought houses boats ATV's had my home burn down, just saying I have dealt with alot and I PROMISE you no experiance in my life has been worse than dealing with those 2 trucks. Forget the fact that they don't hold up, but when you have so many issues every dealer in your area say you need to get Chrysler in on this and then Chrysler's advise is to sell it or get a lawyer AND I still have bumper to bumper warranty, you know there is an issue! PLEASE BE AWARE OF RAM....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvickman29 For This Useful Post:
ColoradoTJ (07-17-2013), FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013)
#12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM

T2014, I'm leaning Tundra, but like you, I will give them all a good test, and keep reading on all these forums trying to get an idea of problems owners are having with all brands. Frankly, I'm not seeing much difference among different makes regarding what owners are complaining about. In spite of some individual owners' problems with Dodge/Tundra/F150/GM, they are all seeming like pretty good trucks to me. When a person has a problem, man, that's BAD! And they squeal, as I would too. So far for me, I might just buy based on which dealer I like the best. I still haven't checked out a new Tundra. Only Ford so far. I've got time though... Good place to be.

That old man, he don't think like no old man.
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to GuyGene For This Useful Post:
Breathing Borla (07-17-2013)
#13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Thanked 3,695 Times in 1,880 Posts
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
The ram had a set of horns on top of his head but j_fuggin_t missed the shot so his right of passage into manhood was a failure.

^^^ True story bro
Lmfao!!

Silly Ram's 5.7L's are for Tundra's
magnaflow / 2" leveling kit / airlift loadlifter 5k / TRD CAI with afE pro dry s / TRD rear sway bar / XSP LED DRL's
Rockwarrior club member #45
The Following User Says Thank You to j_fuggin_t For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013)
#14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvickman29 View Post
Just make sure when you read that thread you also look at post like mine...Guys who have had the "new" RAM and also an 06 Dodge Power WAgon....I had terrible issues also stated in that thread....I was once also hardcore RAM and thought it was the best truck on the road, that was until they both started falling apart beforem 20k miles...If your looking for a truck to keep a year or the RAM is okay at tops...ANything you want over 20k miles on I wouldn't dare buy one....I HOPE I'm wrong but I have a deep feeling those ole boys on that thread will find out before long just what I'm saying...No way so may people have SO many problems with those trucks...It's funny because I was looking at alot of trucks when I bought the 06 and this guy at the lot told me " Fair warning stay they hell away from Dodge/Chrysler/RAM" boy should I have listened, not once but they got me twice...I have bought houses boats ATV's had my home burn down, just saying I have dealt with alot and I PROMISE you no experiance in my life has been worse than dealing with those 2 trucks. Forget the fact that they don't hold up, but when you have so many issues every dealer in your area say you need to get Chrysler in on this and then Chrysler's advise is to sell it or get a lawyer AND I still have bumper to bumper warranty, you know there is an issue! PLEASE BE AWARE OF RAM....
Heheheeee, Harv, I think we must have been typing at the same time today! Now, after reading how Chrysler and dealers treated you, man, I'm gone from them! That's the reason I'm here! Those bad experiences can really hurt a company! They told you to get a lawyer? Wow. Just plain out old - shoot, that ain't nary good.

That old man, he don't think like no old man.
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
#15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Some great info here on this forum. I'm so surprised to here some of these reports, my buddy who owns a new ram knows about these problems and purchased the bumper to bumper warranty and boast about it. Looks like from reading this blog people still have problems even when they purchase the warranty, that's not a good way of doing business. The ball is in my court come September, I'm excited.

Because we are on the subject of warranties i know its comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper with the tundra i believe. Are people purchasing extended warranties with these?

Thanks for all your replies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tundra2014 For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (07-17-2013)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion