Review of my Tundra, what I like and what I hate - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Review of my Tundra, what I like and what I hate

FWIW and for those lurking and reading here while shopping for a new Tundra I am starting a review thread that I'll try to keep updating as time passes.
No intention on bashing or anything of that sort. It is my first Tundra and I am learning as I go.

Third week into ownership, got her with 27 miles on the odometer.

It feels heavy and gives me the feel of a well constructed truck. The ride is decent for a truck, idk why people expect a car-like ride in a truck. If you want a smooth ride then buy a car, this is not for you.
The 5.7 has a lot of power, probably more than I'll ever need for my everyday driving and my sporadic towing.
Towing and hauling capabilities are fine for what I need, however I am already considering an Air Lift to reduce the squatting, no biggie, it is a 1/2 ton truck.
Transmission is very smooth and overall shifting is great. Love the hill descent braking.

One of the best features to me are the so called "nannies" that most ppl seem to hate. I am 41 and have 2 kids. I'd rather have safety than fun in my truck. I don't need to do donuts or skid in snow, that's out of my system by now. So A+ for the nannies!!!
The 3 times I drove in snow felt like it was glued to the pavement.

The engine/exhaust is quiet enough to not interfere with phone calls and music and yet under acceleration still reminds you of the nasty V8 under the hood, in a nice way.

The sheet metal is paper thin, not crazy about that but hey, it is a Toyota and they've been doing that for ever.
THE CHEAP PLASTIC INTERIOR... WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??? If you look at this crap the wrong way it scratches like nothing. The bottom of my door panels are more scratched in three weeks than my Ram in 6 years. This is the biggest bull crap I have found so far and it is driving me nuts. For Toyota to not have fixed that in a 7 year run is simply not acceptable and it would definitely hold be back when the time comes to buy a new truck. I am 100% anal when it comes to maintaining my vehicles and taking care of them. No, I don't baby my trucks, I keep them clean and in good shape and that is a big part of re-sale value.
I sold my Ram at 64% of the OG price when new and it was in big part thanks to that.
So I find myself bitching and moaning about the door panels every day and have been for the last few days trying to device a plan to cover that part that we all kick when getting in and out of the truck. Would eventually cover it with either carpet or something that prevents the nasty scratching from happening but it has to look the part. IDT I'll ever get used to this
Yes, that crap really is bothering me.

Limited package that comes with no fender flares or nerf bars? Yes, I knew this when I was buying but I still think is cheap not to include them in the limited package. Also the exterior R/V mirrors. Same looks and features on both limited for Crew Max and double cab and yet Toyota saves like $5 by not installing the puddle lights on the double cab, crew max gets them

I like the seats so far, think they are comfortable. Mine are leather and 10way power adjustable. No complain there.

JBL 10 speaker navigation system that barely gives a decent sound. $4K upgrade? Really? Glad I didn't pay anywhere near full price for this truck. My $500 Pioneer DVD sounded better and louder with out the sub and with the paper cone infinity factory speakers in my last truck. This is not a upgrade worth paying for.

Love the amount of storage in this truck, amazing! For me this is a big deal, you can never have too much storage in a vehicle.

The rear view mirrors are great, love the autodim feature. They are fine for towing my 8x16 enclosed trailer while looking in proportion to the size of the truck. Again limited edition but no puddle lights, probably saves Toyota a whopping $5

The cockpit offers great visibility 360 degrees, I have read that some ppl complain about that but to be is great compared to my latter truck.

So far I like the Tundra and would recommend it to anyone considering one. Aside from the bull crap cheap plastic interiors that scratches like nothing, the Tundra is everything I expected.

As of today I have driving her 1635 miles. More to come as the miles pile up

By the way, the dash IS sinking against the A pillar on the pass side like everyone else's. Will wait for the first service to get that done.

CURRENT
2014 RAM MEGACAB 3500 DIESEL LARAMIE 4X4 6 SPEED MANUAL
2005 MERCEDES E320 DIESEL
1965 VW BEETLE
2007 KEYSTONE COPPER CANYON 298RLS

SOLD
2011 TUNDRA LIMITED DC 4X4
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 65aircooled For This Useful Post:
chode (02-16-2013), Mr. Creosote (02-16-2013), SD Tuna (05-22-2013), signaltwenty (05-23-2013), YetiMagic (05-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,828 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Nice.

Some people think fender flares with stock wheels (and no wheel spacers) looks stupid (wheels tucked in), maybe Toyota understands that. Since its a $500 part, I'd assume it would be pretty easy to negotiate some free flares, on a $50k truck purchase

I thought the puddle lamps only come on the LTD's that have memory seats or something like that? My powerfold ltd mirrors have puddle lamps, and they came off a double cab
#3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanked 5,174 Times in 2,274 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
We have the JBL in the wife's '12 Camry. She is fine with it. She likes loud music but is not really an audiophile. I find the bass to be muddy, boomy, and sloppy. But because it that creates the illusion of more loudness it sounds awesome to anybody who doesn't know what good audio should sound like. I am glad I did not waste money on it.

One of the first things I noticed about my Crewmax was how solid it felt going down the road. I got the sensation that I was barreling down the highway in a tank.

The cost of fuel to operate a 6000 pound 400 horsepower half ton that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds is kind of like the price of oil changes for a Porche 911. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
chode (02-16-2013), sanchez (02-17-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Thanked 1,004 Times in 466 Posts
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

if you think the Tundra plastic is cheap than you have never owned a Frontier. that stuff blows! instead of carpet, why not opt for a 3M clear adhesive to cover those panels when you get in/out of your truck for a cleaner look. i also upgraded my head unit with a Pioneer deck and could not believe how much improvement it was with stock speakers still intact.

pimped to perfection!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chode For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (02-16-2013), sanchez (02-17-2013), signaltwenty (05-23-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,595 Posts
OP you want to keep the door panels from getting scratches quit kicking them. I had my 07 since 07/07 and I have no scratches on my door panels. Just one scratch I did by the window remote buttons on driver's door. Fender flares and mirrors come with certain pkgs and all others it's optional. Unless I wanted to pay more I could have got those done but I didn't want them. As for the instrument panel being cheap you can say that for all the trucks which use cheap plastic for their dash boards. I see nothing special about the rest of them that makes them better than any other manufacturer. It's opinionated. JBL comes with a 12 speaker on a CM. It's part of the pkg of a limited. Doesn't state a price on invoice. Maybe an optional price. I do beg to differ in the sound you state. Again it's opinionated. I don't have the sinking pillar dash case so don't include me in that. As for the mirrors I didn't get the tow mirrors because I have no need for them and I prefer the auto dim on both mirrors along with the heated version I have. It depends on the pkgs and wehat you can get with them. Yes I have a limited but I didn't get a nav with mine. It didn't come with a backup camera but I got one off ebay and installed it. Limits are wired for all the gizmo's. Cosmetics are up to the beholder. Everyone has a different opinion about it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey For This Useful Post:
chode (02-17-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
OP you want to keep the door panels from getting scratches quit kicking them. I had my 07 since 07/07 and I have no scratches on my door panels. Just one scratch I did by the window remote buttons on driver's door. Fender flares and mirrors come with certain pkgs and all others it's optional. Unless I wanted to pay more I could have got those done but I didn't want them. As for the instrument panel being cheap you can say that for all the trucks which use cheap plastic for their dash boards. I see nothing special about the rest of them that makes them better than any other manufacturer. It's opinionated. JBL comes with a 12 speaker on a CM. It's part of the pkg of a limited. Doesn't state a price on invoice. Maybe an optional price. I do beg to differ in the sound you state. Again it's opinionated. I don't have the sinking pillar dash case so don't include me in that. As for the mirrors I didn't get the tow mirrors because I have no need for them and I prefer the auto dim on both mirrors along with the heated version I have. It depends on the pkgs and wehat you can get with them. Yes I have a limited but I didn't get a nav with mine. It didn't come with a backup camera but I got one off ebay and installed it. Limits are wired for all the gizmo's. Cosmetics are up to the beholder. Everyone has a different opinion about it.
If you don't like my post don't read it. Go find something that suits you better.
I am not married or madly in love with Toyota Tundra like to not be able to see the flaws that in my opinion the truck has. If the Tundra is a perfect truck in your eyes, then good for you. I for one am not blind nor stupid.

I didn't mean to hurt your sensitive feelings by including you in the list of ppl that have suffer the sinking dash. Mine has been on the road for three weeks and it has it and apparently is common enough that there is a TSB on it.

if something smells like crap and looks like crap that's what I call it CRAP. I don't kick my door panels anymore that I did the ones in my Ram, Silverado, or any other truck or car that I've owned. The 2013 CM I test drove and had less than 50 miles at the same Dealership had scratches on the Drivers door panel
Cheap instrument panel? Are you smoking dope? Where is that in my original post? Does it bother you that much that I see flaws in your precious little truck?

Fender flares don't come with any package, in fact there is no direct part # from Toyota for them.
I realize that the CM comes with a 12 speaker sound system but I have a DC, which comes with 10 speakers and I doubt the sound is any better than mine.
And yes, everyone has their own opinion and I happen to be expressing mine and I am not to candy coat anything. If the plastics scratch easy then that's what I'll say, they are cheap. Maybe your current truck is the only one you've had and have nothing to compare it to. Me on the other hand have had many in the past and I am simply comparing the good and bad of the present truck with the ones in the past.

I am not bashing, just writing my own review. No need to get your panties in a bunch

CURRENT
1965 VW BEETLE

SOLD
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 65aircooled For This Useful Post:
chode (02-17-2013), Hydrex (03-11-2013), Jonny Phresh (03-08-2013), Redzone (03-11-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,062 Posts
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I think I may be one of the only people that actually likes the interior of my truck. For a short time I had a 2013 Explorer with ALL the bells and whistles. You know what I found out? I actually LIKE to drive not play on my dash computer. Fancy that huh? (my only 'itch is the lint attracting black seats!)

I will agree with the stereo. Owned Toyota since I was 15 and still have not heard a good one, 'cept in a Lexus.

I am glad the nannies are there for when the fam is in the truck, but I like that I can turn them off and actually DRIVE. There is something about kicking out the back end and counter steering. Ah the days of complete control...or lack there of...

It's also okay for a member to not agree and post differences to your opinion...esp. when it's a moderator. Just sayin'

2014 SR5 CM TRD 4x4 2.5/1 level, Fuel Maverick 18x9, 305 65R18 Falkens, TRD sway, Color matched Handles/Caps, Partial Debadge, Tinted.

Last edited by Tundergas; 02-16-2013 at 10:41 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tundergas For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (02-16-2013), chode (02-17-2013), Ed Zeppeli (03-12-2013), Relentless (02-17-2013), sanchez (02-17-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
Nice.

Some people think fender flares with stock wheels (and no wheel spacers) looks stupid (wheels tucked in), maybe Toyota understands that. Since its a $500 part, I'd assume it would be pretty easy to negotiate some free flares, on a $50k truck purchase

I thought the puddle lamps only come on the LTD's that have memory seats or something like that? My powerfold ltd mirrors have puddle lamps, and they came off a double cab
Good point on the flares and btw, I just receive my painted flares so may have to use your spacer idea

CURRENT
1965 VW BEETLE

SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to 65aircooled For This Useful Post:
chode (02-17-2013)
#9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chode View Post
if you think the Tundra plastic is cheap than you have never owned a Frontier. that stuff blows! instead of carpet, why not opt for a 3M clear adhesive to cover those panels when you get in/out of your truck for a cleaner look. i also upgraded my head unit with a Pioneer deck and could not believe how much improvement it was with stock speakers still intact.
Thought of the 3M specially because I will be doing the font of the truck after installing the fender flares. Only thing is it may not stay on as the surface is not smooth like the body panels and it may allow for dust to get in there.

CURRENT
1965 VW BEETLE

SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to 65aircooled For This Useful Post:
chode (02-17-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 PM

Thanked 3,494 Times in 2,131 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Re: Review of my Tundra, what I like and what I hate

I agree that the door panels can scratch pretty easy but on my 07 being 5yrs old it hasn't got that bad n I wear steel toes. I was thinking of doing mine in fabric just to change it up a lil, if u do go with fabric/carpet pls post pics. If u can get 64% back on a dodge I'm pretty sure u can do better with the tundra if u keep it in as good of shape as the dodge. When I first got my 07 I didn't like somethings either but the power n reliability stole my heart n made me not notice so many things after. I'm a little younger n like to drive fast but I love the nannies when it rains

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doubleds65 For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (02-16-2013), chode (02-17-2013)
#11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleds65 View Post
I agree that the door panels can scratch pretty easy but on my 07 being 5yrs old it hasn't got that bad n I wear steel toes. I was thinking of doing mine in fabric just to change it up a lil, if u do go with fabric/carpet pls post pics. If u can get 64% back on a dodge I'm pretty sure u can do better with the tundra if u keep it in as good of shape as the dodge. When I first got my 07 I didn't like somethings either but the power n reliability stole my heart n made me not notice so many things after. I'm a little younger n like to drive fast but I love the nannies when it rains

I don't hate the color, the texture or the lay out of the interior. I actually like it a lot, I like the fact that is somewhat simple. Though I have the Limited with a few more bells such as climate control don't care too much for it and is one of those things that I can take or leave. The Sound system sound quality is not horrible, just not the best for a "premium" one and is not a deal breaker specially because I paid 32.5K which was basically the best price I could get an for (in my area) SR5 TRD (2013) but I like a bit of pampering so the limited package was indeed a plus for us.

The one thing I left out is the cell phone integration and music streaming via blue tooth which I love and think is the best I've had so far. I like to keep things simple and this thing does just that. No messy wires or phone hanging from the dashboard. My Pioneer premium head unit which was 7 months old wasn't that strong n that area. My JBL gives me actual control of the iPhone both for calls and music including Pandora via Bluetooth including fast forward, skip, volume etc. and it displays all the music info on the screen.
As far as re-sale value on the Tundra vs the Dodge I could not agree with you more. Hard to beat Toyota re-sale value. My big selling point on the dodge was most definitely the Cummins engine. Had it been a hemi the story and the numbers would have been different.

CURRENT
1965 VW BEETLE

SOLD

Last edited by 65aircooled; 02-17-2013 at 12:09 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 65aircooled For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (02-17-2013), sanchez (02-17-2013)
#12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,828 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
I dunno about 64% on a dodge

Well, mine wasn't a diesel though or 4x4..
'04 quad cab 2wd 5.7 hemi stickered at almost $30k, financed $22,500 (with a little negative trade equity on the 03 dodge ram I traded in) for it in October 2003, sold it at 6 years old (dec 2009) with about 75k miles, got $10,500, and I was lucky to get that. I was trying to sell it for about 2 months, started at around $12.5k asking, didn't start getting bites til I lowered price to $11k. Ended up selling it to a used truck dealer, who took a bath on it when they eventually sold it (from what they told me a few months later, when I asked them what would they give me for my wifes expedition)

Didn't do too bad on the expedition. '03 eddie bauer with 5.4, bought used for $13.5k in '07, sold it in 2010 for $11.5k (in 100's )to a private party.

Back on topic. Toyota started skimping on the 2010+ trucks, so when guys are chiming in with 2007-2009 trucks and claiming less issues, or no issues, they aren't lying . Love my '07

And I'll never have a p.o.s. dodge again, cracked dash, ruined tranny, failed diff and all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (02-17-2013), Ed Zeppeli (03-12-2013), jakec2789 (02-17-2013)
#13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 AM

Thanked 3,494 Times in 2,131 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Re: Review of my Tundra, what I like and what I hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
I don't hate the color, the texture or the lay out of the interior. I actually like it a lot, I like the fact that is somewhat simple. Though I have the Limited with a few more bells such as climate control don't care too much for it and is one of those things that I can take or leave. The Sound system sound quality is not horrible, just not the best for a "premium" one and is not a deal breaker specially because I paid 32.5K which was basically the best price I could get an for (in my area) SR5 TRD (2013) but I like a bit of pampering so the limited package was indeed a plus for us.

The one thing I left out is the cell phone integration and music streaming via blue tooth which I love and think is the best I've had so far. I like to keep things simple and this thing does just that. No messy wires or phone hanging from the dashboard. My Pioneer premium head unit which was 7 months old wasn't that strong n that area. My JBL gives me actual control of the iPhone both for calls and music including Pandora via Bluetooth including fast forward, skip, volume etc. and it displays all the music info on the screen.
As far as re-sale value on the Tundra vs the Dodge I could not agree with you more. Hard to beat Toyota re-sale value. My big selling point on the dodge was most definitely the Cummins engine. Had it been a hemi the story and the numbers would have been different.
U said u can c what your phone is streaming on your radio screen, is that a nav screen or no?

#14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
Fender flares don't come with any package, in fact there is no direct part # from Toyota for them.
wrong again the 13 XSP i test drove yesterday had ultra wheels, predator step bars and bushwhacker flares from the factory... it was on the invoice... try again?
The Following User Says Thank You to jakec2789 For This Useful Post:
Mickey (02-17-2013)
#15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
I dunno about 64% on a dodge

Well, mine wasn't a diesel though or 4x4..
'04 quad cab 2wd 5.7 hemi stickered at almost $30k, financed $22,500 (with a little negative trade equity on the 03 dodge ram I traded in) for it in October 2003, sold it at 6 years old (dec 2009) with about 75k miles, got $10,500, and I was lucky to get that. I was trying to sell it for about 2 months, started at around $12.5k asking, didn't start getting bites til I lowered price to $11k. Ended up selling it to a used truck dealer, who took a bath on it when they eventually sold it (from what they told me a few months later, when I asked them what would they give me for my wifes expedition)

Didn't do too bad on the expedition. '03 eddie bauer with 5.4, bought used for $13.5k in '07, sold it in 2010 for $11.5k (in 100's )to a private party.

Back on topic. Toyota started skimping on the 2010+ trucks, so when guys are chiming in with 2007-2009 trucks and claiming less issues, or no issues, they aren't lying . Love my '07

And I'll never have a p.o.s. dodge again, cracked dash, ruined tranny, failed diff and all!
Really? I bought an 05 4.7 4wd in december '07 for $18200 with 19000 on the odemeter. Traded it on the tundra in feb 11 with just over 54000 on the odemeter, and a pretty harsh wreck and recieved a trade in allowance of $14600 on it. In fact, my Tundra has more miles, but dollar to mileage ratio, with no wrecks on it has depreciated faster than my ram did...

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion