Review of my Tundra, what I like and what I hate - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 AM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 18,119 Times in 7,039 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Dez over at Tundra geeks has powder coated door sill protectors for a fair price.
He will even make you a deal on the air dam to cover the foam piece between the radiator and radiator support that is going to deteriorate in a couple of years.

I will try to take a pic of the door sill protectors. I made Toyota repaint mine and they put that plastic protective strip down but it still marked. The door sill protectors are unscuffed after several months.

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (02-17-2013), signaltwenty (05-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 AM

Thanked 1,003 Times in 465 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am pretty sure your 3M film will hold up on the nose provided you clean it well before laying it down. my 08' has sporadic paint chips in the hood and would have been useful in the beginning.

pimped to perfection!
The Following User Says Thank You to chode For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (02-17-2013)
#18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakec2789 View Post
wrong again the 13 XSP i test drove yesterday had ultra wheels, predator step bars and bushwhacker flares from the factory... it was on the invoice... try again?
LOL, those are aftermarket parts, I was talking about OEM flares which according to my dealer there are non.

2011 DC LIMITED 4WD

#63 Radiant red club
1965 VW Beetle #'s match import
The Following User Says Thank You to 65aircooled For This Useful Post:
AKtrd (02-18-2013)
#19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,595 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
If you don't like my post don't read it. Go find something that suits you better.
I am not married or madly in love with Toyota Tundra like to not be able to see the flaws that in my opinion the truck has. If the Tundra is a perfect truck in your eyes, then good for you. I for one am not blind nor stupid.

I didn't mean to hurt your sensitive feelings by including you in the list of ppl that have suffer the sinking dash. Mine has been on the road for three weeks and it has it and apparently is common enough that there is a TSB on it.

if something smells like crap and looks like crap that's what I call it CRAP. I don't kick my door panels anymore that I did the ones in my Ram, Silverado, or any other truck or car that I've owned. The 2013 CM I test drove and had less than 50 miles at the same Dealership had scratches on the Drivers door panel
Cheap instrument panel? Are you smoking dope? Where is that in my original post? Does it bother you that much that I see flaws in your precious little truck?

Fender flares don't come with any package, in fact there is no direct part # from Toyota for them.
I realize that the CM comes with a 12 speaker sound system but I have a DC, which comes with 10 speakers and I doubt the sound is any better than mine.
And yes, everyone has their own opinion and I happen to be expressing mine and I am not to candy coat anything. If the plastics scratch easy then that's what I'll say, they are cheap. Maybe your current truck is the only one you've had and have nothing to compare it to. Me on the other hand have had many in the past and I am simply comparing the good and bad of the present truck with the ones in the past.

I am not bashing, just writing my own review. No need to get your panties in a bunch
You put the post out there. You can't take the criticism then it's all on you. Like I said all what you don't like (flawed) is opinionated. I didn't say that the Tundra was perfect. I prefer real guages not C-H or L-H guages. It is what they use so we take it with a grain of salt and go ahead. I prefer GM's version of heated seats compared to the Tundra. Like I said it's not viewed as flaws but more of my personal dislikes. No I'm not sensative as the way you are going off on my post. Far from being my first truck. Maybe read your own last statement might help you.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
#20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakec2789 View Post
wrong again the 13 XSP i test drove yesterday had ultra wheels, predator step bars and bushwhacker flares from the factory... it was on the invoice... try again?
The 07 XSP model came with them also.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
#21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
"Seahawks Hater"
Premium Member

Thanked 4,652 Times in 2,238 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Seems like A ram would suit you better. They are like Mercedes when it comes to interiors. Less power, more MPG.
#22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrakountry View Post
Seems like A ram would suit you better. They are like Mercedes when it comes to interiors. Less power, more MPG.
Actually I am happy with the power my 5.7 makes. My latter truck (a Ram) didt have a loy of "amenities" however it had 325 HP and the torque was rated 610 @ 1400 rpms and the mpg wasn't bad but no miracle either

2011 DC LIMITED 4WD

#63 Radiant red club
#23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM

I bought a '12 in November. The truck now has 3995 miles and has been at the dealer 5 times for problem, including leaving me on the side of road. This is my first Toyota, and I loved it at first. I gotta say though, once you start having problems, the love fades fast! Whats f'ed is I had a Ram before this and that truck had far fewer issues. The differance though is that the Toyota dealer takes care of my problems without nearly as much of a fight that Dodge dealers did. Im up in the air on what to do.
#24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM

I have the 2012 platinum.. Like the few here.. I too like the simplistic interior... it's simplistic. but not primitive by any stretch. Bit large knobs.. very practically built.. nice and strong feeling in the interior. I don't like too many bells and whistles.. especially when the ODOMETER IS NOT CENTERED!.. I HATE THAT!.

The JBL is very good.. but I know there are better out there.. I am not a huge audiophile guy.. I mostly listen to talk radio and npr.

I had taken a 2000 mile round trip from sacramento to utah and back in heavy snow and plenty of uphill.. and I loved how the truck handled itself in 4wd and in the snow. It feels like a frigging tank!! safe and secure.

some of my complaints are not really complaints...the engine is too powerful sometimes.. I hate it when I am accelerating after a slow run.. it just jerks forward like a sports car and makes me look like an amateur LOL.

AFter 7000 miles, the shock absorbers are softened a bit and the ride is REALLY SMOOTH now. In the beginning I was a bit disappointed with the bumpy ride.

I am not a fan of the tailgate appearance when closed shut.. it looks like it has a big concave dent below the handle.. I know it's part of the design and I'm not a big fan of it. I like the 2014s design a lot better (except for the front grille).

anyho... best truck I've ever owned.. hands down.
The Following User Says Thank You to kriskmk For This Useful Post:
AKtrd (02-19-2013)
#25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
Dez over at Tundra geeks has powder coated door sill protectors for a fair price.
He will even make you a deal on the air dam to cover the foam piece between the radiator and radiator support that is going to deteriorate in a couple of years.

I will try to take a pic of the door sill protectors. I made Toyota repaint mine and they put that plastic protective strip down but it still marked. The door sill protectors are unscuffed after several months.
What is this air damn you speak of? Do you have one? sounds like a good idea.

Remember, We do it nice, because we do it twice.
#26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Thanked 5,078 Times in 2,791 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
If you don't like my post don't read it. Go find something that suits you better.
I am not married or madly in love with Toyota Tundra like to not be able to see the flaws that in my opinion the truck has. If the Tundra is a perfect truck in your eyes, then good for you. I for one am not blind nor stupid.

I didn't mean to hurt your sensitive feelings by including you in the list of ppl that have suffer the sinking dash. Mine has been on the road for three weeks and it has it and apparently is common enough that there is a TSB on it.

if something smells like crap and looks like crap that's what I call it CRAP. I don't kick my door panels anymore that I did the ones in my Ram, Silverado, or any other truck or car that I've owned. The 2013 CM I test drove and had less than 50 miles at the same Dealership had scratches on the Drivers door panel
Cheap instrument panel? Are you smoking dope? Where is that in my original post? Does it bother you that much that I see flaws in your precious little truck?

Fender flares don't come with any package, in fact there is no direct part # from Toyota for them.
I realize that the CM comes with a 12 speaker sound system but I have a DC, which comes with 10 speakers and I doubt the sound is any better than mine.
And yes, everyone has their own opinion and I happen to be expressing mine and I am not to candy coat anything. If the plastics scratch easy then that's what I'll say, they are cheap. Maybe your current truck is the only one you've had and have nothing to compare it to. Me on the other hand have had many in the past and I am simply comparing the good and bad of the present truck with the ones in the past.

I am not bashing, just writing my own review. No need to get your panties in a bunch
What you need is a blog where other comments are not allowed. I sorta just got on the thread and you sound like you got up on the wrong side of the bed.

2010 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7, TRD Off Road, Silver Sky Tundra Club #7, TWACC #100, RYRWDBTTBYCDI #7, Tri-State Club #21, Chrome Club #23

Toyota/TRD (Stepboards, Cat-Back, Intake, Hood Protector), Pioneer (AVIC Z140BH & ND-BC5), Clazzio, Tint, Wheelskin, Line X (Extra/Color Match), ValuGard (Undercoat & Rust Inhibitor), Husky WeatherBeater, Westin Ult BB & Lights, Moto Metal 961, BAKFlip F1, OME 614, LR UCA, UC SwingCases

Last edited by chphilo; 02-18-2013 at 09:43 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chphilo For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (03-03-2013), dikkie (02-18-2013), fosterelli (03-07-2013)
#27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM

(Thread Starter)
Update:

I have driven the truck almost 2K miles so far. I continue to enjoy driving it every day which is a big plus. I've purchased vehicles that I had driven for thousands of miles hoping they give me something to brag about but never do, my Tundra is definitely not the case. I still love the way it drives, has plenty of acceleration and overall pep and now that I have added a few thingamajigies to pimp it a bit I constantly find myself gazing at her after I parked her.

Though I still dislike the plastic door panels that scratch easily, I found that installing step bars was the best thing I could have done. The reduce the chances of kicking them by a lot. Though I still think a truck with a $47K price tag should not have to depend on you being really careful not to let your shoes come in contact with the bottom of the door panel.
Minor stuff I'd say now that I have owned the truck a bit longer.

Have driven in snow and heavy rain and love the feel of it. It feels like a really safe truck for that type of environment. As I have said before I have my two boys in the back seat constantly (they don't like the wife's sentra any more... comes to think of it I don't think the wife likes her Sentra any longer) and the weight, mass and safety features make me feel very comfortable on the road.
Truck handles great, pulls great and hauls great. Being a contractor I don't use this truck for fun but actual work and for what I do is better than perfect. Wish I could have a Crew Max because of the boys but the DC is not that bad space wise.

Heat works great, glad I don't have to wait a half hr for the engine to warm up anymore so I can get some heat in the morning. It also makes my wife happy as well thank you very much.
Heated seats not so much, they do take a long time to warm up, once they do they are great. My past trucks and cars usually warm up the seats A LOT faster, again, minor stuff and not a deal breaker.
Power folding mirrors are awesome and large enough for what I tow, love the autodim feature and the power folding feature.
Windshield wiper defrost, can't say enough good things about it. Based on what I've read here I wasn't expecting much but mine surpassed my expectations. Maybe we don't get enough snow and ice here idk.

The Bluetooth option on the Navy system works great for music but the calls get disconnected once in a while but I can't blame it entirely on the head unit, if you have an iPhone you can expect random audio disconnects, it comes back after a few secs.

I wish the headlights were brighter but I plan to get a HID setup so, easily solved.
So far a great overall truck, it was the right decision. I can easily see myself getting another Tundra in the future and I most definitely recommend it.

I'll will keep on posting here as the miles pile up.

2011 DC LIMITED 4WD

#63 Radiant red club
The Following User Says Thank You to 65aircooled For This Useful Post:
Tundergas (03-04-2013)
#28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm trying to "upgrade" my stereo without changing it. I like the stock look. So, have a digital sound processor on the way from Crutchfield and a small sub and amp to add. Hopefully this will do the trick. For me, this IS the one thing Toyota always seems to miss the boat on.

I will say, the blower for heat and A/C could be a bit more powerful. I'll keep looking for the updates.

2014 SR5 CM TRD 4x4 2.5/1 level, Fuel Maverick 18x9, 305 65R18 Falkens, TRD sway, Color matched Handles/Caps, Partial Debadge, Tinted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tundergas For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (03-06-2013), xma (03-04-2013)
#29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM

I usually use an Ipod Nano for extra music when XM doesn't satisfy my needs.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (03-06-2013)
#30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM

Im with you guys on the interior... I went from a Jeep to a 97' Ford Powerstroke to the Tundra..

Hands down the best interior I've had. Yes the knobs are big and things "look" chunky, but its a TRUCK and they're designed to be easy to press and move with gloves on when you're out in the field or camping.

Nannies are a new thing to me, they're great when I am going up I-70 and its a sheet of ice. I also like the fact that I can turn them off when I want to play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COCampfire For This Useful Post:
65aircooled (03-06-2013), AKtrd (03-04-2013)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion