Driving to Texas in 2 weeks - How should I prepare the truck? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driving to Texas in 2 weeks - How should I prepare the truck?

Hello,

I'm driving my Tundra to Dallas, Texas in 2 weeks, from Maryland. 2600 mile round trip. I'm very excited for the trip. The truck has 135,000 miles on it, and I'm wondering what I should do besides normal maintenance to prepare.

I already have the basic maintenance finished...

Oil change
Air filter
Tires Rotated, brakes checked.

Getting serp belt changed this week, the one on the truck now is the original!

Any other recommendations. I have never done a trip this far before in any vehicle, let alone my truck.

Thanks!
Austin

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
2007 Black TRD SR5 4x4 DC
5% tints all around. XDI intake.
295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
8000k HID's in headlights and foglights.
Dual 2.5" x 26" Powersticks/QTP Electric Cutouts
Hornblasters 540 Kit
Low Range Offroad 3/1 Leveling kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 955 Posts
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
put a gun in it...

2007 Tundra DC SR5, Kansas City, MO
LRO 3 front spacer
Coachbuilder +3" Shackles
Coachbuilder Air Ride spacer
Firestone Ride Rite Rear Air Bag kit
Bedliner
TundraPart.com Fog Light Kit • Anytime-Fog light Mod
DDM HID - 55w5K lows, 35w4300K fogs
20" Toyota Limited 5 Spoke Alloys
275/65/20 BFG ATKO
Advent OEM Nav, Hertz components
TonneauPro HardFold Cover

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
4dailyrunner (01-30-2013), Bad Dad's Camrys (01-28-2013), dothedeww (01-28-2013), marcialm (01-28-2013), Puckrobber (02-19-2013), totex (01-30-2013), upgrayedd (01-30-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
put a gun in it...

Good answer...except I'd be too afriad to get pulled over in another state where they aren't so kind to people carrying guns (i.e. Maryland (bleh))

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
Hornblasters 540 Kit
The Following User Says Thank You to dothedeww For This Useful Post:
4dailyrunner (01-30-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,824 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Check your spare tire for pressure, and keep a tire plug kit in your glove box, right next to your gun Make sure your lug wrench and jack are available/working.

$300 cash in 20's, flashlight, cell phone, spare set of headlight bulbs and tail light bulbs, small tool kit with all the necessary tools, wet wipes, paper towels, tissues, diapers (oh wait, nevermind), jumper cables, etc. Check the torque on your lug nuts just before leaving, and tire pressure of course. Crawl up underneath it and spot check bolts, nuts, etc, mainly anything doing doing with your suspension.

Oh, and if you aren't armed on a road trip, you are insane, especially if you are planning on doing any night driving. I have a couple experiences in mind, that I'm glad I was armed (nothing happened, but shit coulda got ugly).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Cedillo (02-27-2013), dothedeww (01-28-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
Check your spare tire for pressure, and keep a tire plug kit in your glove box, right next to your gun Make sure your lug wrench and jack are available/working.

$300 cash in 20's, flashlight, cell phone, spare set of headlight bulbs and tail light bulbs, small tool kit with all the necessary tools, wet wipes, paper towels, tissues, diapers (oh wait, nevermind), jumper cables, etc. Check the torque on your lug nuts just before leaving, and tire pressure of course. Crawl up underneath it and spot check bolts, nuts, etc, mainly anything doing doing with your suspension.

Oh, and if you aren't armed on a road trip, you are insane, especially if you are planning on doing any night driving. I have a couple experiences in mind, that I'm glad I was armed (nothing happened, but shit coulda got ugly).

Thank you, very detailed. I will be packing my "Bad Dad driving bag" soon. I have 2 spares ready to go, plug kits, and the onbaord air compressor from Hornblasters to pump up the flats.

I will definitely do the spot checks this week, 64 degrees on Wednesday in January!!

And I will be doing mostly day driving, as I want to see as many sights as possible. I would definitely feel more comfortable being armed, but with tints, open headers, HID's, and other odds and ends, I am asking to get pulled over. I would be too paranoid carrying a gun (but my application for concealed carry is filed and should be approved within 120 days if nothing goes wrong!)

Thanks!

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
Hornblasters 540 Kit
The Following User Says Thank You to dothedeww For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-28-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 955 Posts
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine that designates a person's abode (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as a car or place of work) as a place in which the person has certain protections and immunities and may in certain circumstances use force, up to and including deadly force, to defend against an intruder without becoming liable to prosecution.[1] Typically deadly force is considered justified, and a defense of justifiable homicide applicable, in cases "when the actor reasonably fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to himself or another".[1] The doctrine is not a defined law that can be invoked, but a set of principles which is incorporated in some form in the law of most states.

Translation - you have the right to keep a firearm in your vehicle for protection just like it was your own home.

2007 Tundra DC SR5, Kansas City, MO
LRO 3 front spacer
Coachbuilder +3" Shackles
Coachbuilder Air Ride spacer
Firestone Ride Rite Rear Air Bag kit
Bedliner
TundraPart.com Fog Light Kit • Anytime-Fog light Mod
DDM HID - 55w5K lows, 35w4300K fogs
20" Toyota Limited 5 Spoke Alloys
275/65/20 BFG ATKO
Advent OEM Nav, Hertz components
TonneauPro HardFold Cover

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
dothedeww (01-28-2013), Toxarch (01-31-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't forget a couple of bottles of Tums to help with the aftermath of all the BBQ y'all are gonna chow down on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TundraOnTheTundra For This Useful Post:
dothedeww (01-28-2013), kstateskier (01-30-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine that designates a person's abode (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as a car or place of work) as a place in which the person has certain protections and immunities and may in certain circumstances use force, up to and including deadly force, to defend against an intruder without becoming liable to prosecution.[1] Typically deadly force is considered justified, and a defense of justifiable homicide applicable, in cases "when the actor reasonably fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to himself or another".[1] The doctrine is not a defined law that can be invoked, but a set of principles which is incorporated in some form in the law of most states.

Translation - you have the right to keep a firearm in your vehicle for protection just like it was your own home.
Wow. Thank you.

And I will keep plenty of Tums.

Anyone have a recommendations of places I should stop or see while I am down there? I will pass through nashville, knoxville, and arkansas, and be staying in dallas. Sadly, 5 hours from the san antonio plant, I was hoping to visit it while I was down there.

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
Hornblasters 540 Kit
#9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Garage
You should come down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras!!!! you want regret it ;

BLACK TUNDRA CLUB MEMBER 199!
L.T.O.G.M. #18
2013 Black Tundra DC 4x4 Louisiana Edition 5.7L V8 FFV
-2008 KTM XCFW 250
Racing Accomplishments to date:
(2011 1st overall Novice Off Road Cup, 2009 LACC Novice Lites Champion and 2007 SERA 4 stroke C Champion)
GeauxTigers!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to reineduro For This Useful Post:
dothedeww (01-28-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reineduro View Post
You should come down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras!!!! you want regret it ;

Haha. I am a huge Ravens fan and was hoping to leave a couple days earlier to stop by New Orleans for some superbowl tailgating. Tickets are too expensive but I would be content just tailgating in the lot.

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
Hornblasters 540 Kit
#11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothedeww View Post
Haha. I am a huge Ravens fan and was hoping to leave a couple days earlier to stop by New Orleans for some superbowl tailgating. Tickets are too expensive but I would be content just tailgating in the lot.
Dude if you know anything about louisiana and football, you know we are the kings of tailgating to bad you couldnt make it, but Mardi gras is just as fun!

BLACK TUNDRA CLUB MEMBER 199!
L.T.O.G.M. #18
2013 Black Tundra DC 4x4 Louisiana Edition 5.7L V8 FFV
-2008 KTM XCFW 250
Racing Accomplishments to date:
(2011 1st overall Novice Off Road Cup, 2009 LACC Novice Lites Champion and 2007 SERA 4 stroke C Champion)
GeauxTigers!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to reineduro For This Useful Post:
dothedeww (01-28-2013)
#12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Banned
Premium Member

lol. You can spend about 30 minutes on the internet and learn the laws of the states you will be driving through, as they pertain to transporting a firearm. You don't need a CWP just to transport a firearm in your car, and also to transport it from your car to your hotel room. Some states are more lenient than others, but as far as I know, all states fall under the federal "18 U.S.C. 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms", including Maryland, which means you can:

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)
A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited
from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

Florida is a little lenient. You can keep a loaded gun in your center console, with the lid closed, or glovebox, etc., even without a CWP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
dothedeww (01-28-2013)
#13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
lol. You can spend about 30 minutes on the internet and learn the laws of the states you will be driving through, as they pertain to transporting a firearm. You don't need a CWP just to transport a firearm in your car, and also to transport it from your car to your hotel room. Some states are more lenient than others, but as far as I know, all states fall under the federal "18 U.S.C. 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms", including Maryland, which means you can:

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)
A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited
from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

Florida is a little lenient. You can keep a loaded gun in your center console, with the lid closed, or glovebox, etc., even without a CWP.

Thats pretty awesome. I will definitely consider it. I am only 22 so still learning the rules!

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
Hornblasters 540 Kit
#14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Banned
Premium Member

I wouldn't test that theory in Maryland They do not recognize the castle doctrine

" *Right of Self-Defense: no NRA-model castle doctrine, duty to retreat in public areas"

Maryland is one of those states that is nearly "total prohibition" on firearms

Maryland

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
dothedeww (01-28-2013)
#15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I wouldn't test that theory in Maryland They do not recognize the castle doctrine

" *Right of Self-Defense: no NRA-model castle doctrine, duty to retreat in public areas"

Maryland is one of those states that is nearly "total prohibition" on firearms

Maryland
Yeah it really does suck here. And the cops love to pull you over for the smallest things. My neighbor has a ticket for going 67MPH in a 65MPH zone. no joke. Yes, he won in court, but still, a cop really wrote a ticket for that.

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
Hornblasters 540 Kit

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion