Train horn - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 1,137 Times in 637 Posts
Train horn

I'm looking into getting a train horn and wanted to see if anyone else wants in. I can talk to the seller and see if we can get a group buy if we can get enough people in on it. Or if anyone can get a better discount with one of our vendors on here. Let me k ow here is the one i was looking at. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1358350264.714588.jpgImageUploadedByAutoguide1358350288.786793.jpgImageUploadedByAutoguide1358350302.295824.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

White 2007 toyota tundra 2WD crew max 5.7L

mods

too many to list lol!!!!
Tundras_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,669 Times in 760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundras_rock View Post
I'm looking into getting a train horn and wanted to see if anyone else wants in. I can talk to the seller and see if we can get a group buy if we can get enough people in on it. Or if anyone can get a better discount with one of our vendors on here. Let me k ow here is the one i was looking at. Attachment 31901Attachment 31902Attachment 31903

what kind of money are we talking here?
33" Fierce Attitude M/T
Husky Weather Beaters
Soft Tonno Cover
jerryvt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

What is the point of these train horns? I have seen the videos.. I've even heard a few in person. I guess I don't get it.. Only time I ever see them used is to freak people out, and to get attention as they are cruising through downtown ft worth or Dallas.

IMO Tundra drivers have a little more sense than that haha.. I could see some of these Chevy guys doing that though!
KRAZYK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KRAZYK For This Useful Post:
Swampthing (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Occasionally I have used it like the horn when it looks like someone might hit me. More often than not I use them to get animals /vultures out of the road. Got a few people's attention on the job site and in a plant.
Klein 220 Horns
Expedition 1 Rear Bumper
screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

That would be kinda fun but I think I will have to pass for now. Would rather save up for the .50 cal mount. No need for horns then.
BigRed2007 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminz2002 View Post
Occasionally I have used it like the horn when it looks like someone might hit me. More often than not I use them to get animals /vultures out of the road. Got a few people's attention on the job site and in a plant.
Train horns may have the exact opposite effect, you may startle someone so much they are slower to respond.

FYI - they are also illegal in Texas.
ponyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I haven't encountered anything different then making someone stop in their tracks which is the correct effect. The only thing the law says is unreasonably loud so if your abusing it you will probably end up with a ticket. Otherwise there is nothing illegal about having it on the truck.
Klein 220 Horns
Expedition 1 Rear Bumper
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanked 1,883 Times in 916 Posts
Garage
I'm interested. Nothing like a loud horn to remind all the inconsiderate drivers out there that they are not the only ones on the road.

How much does the one your looking at cost? I didn't see a price in the description.

08 5.7 DC Super White w/ tan interior, RCX 6in lift w/ CB1 +3 shackles & blocks, 18in Ballistic Jesters w/ 295/70 Terra Grapplers, Colormatched Bumper & grille w/ T-Rex mesh insert, BHLM w/Plasma Halo's and HID's, BAmuffler dumped, 5% rears 25% fronts, LED Tails, Pioneer AppRadio 3 w/ DVD bypass & Andriod MirrorLink, 2 Cerwin Vega 10's, Sound deadener, LED interior, Plasti-dip everywhere, Black Weathertecks, N-Fab 6 steps, AVS in-channels, lots not listed and more to come!!!
jgoin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jgoin For This Useful Post:
Tundra315 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Im interested in a 2 horn set up
-westin ultimate bull bar
- Chrome XD Hoss rims
-305/55 20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
-Sportsman Camo Seat Covers
-True Dual Power Stick Mufflers
-3D floor mats
- Interior V-Leds 6k white & red foot well strips
012crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super Loud Blast 145nu llUnivers alDu alChro meTra inHor nsCompresso rsK itS | eBay
08 DC 5.7 Debadged, K&N drop in, 18x9 Raceline Raptor wheels, 305/65/18 Falken Rocky Mountains, alpine HU, alpine door speakers, alpine amplifiers, kenwood shallow subs, Dual Exhaust (no mufflers), Color matched front and rear bumpers, Rancho quicklift coilovers, AAL spring w/ skyjacker rear shocks
jeffhrb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
I haven't encountered anything different then making someone stop in their tracks which is the correct effect
What about any other people/vehicles that also stopped in their tracks because they happened to be nearby, was that also the correct effect?

Quote:
The only thing the law says is unreasonably loud so if your abusing it you will probably end up with a ticket.
'not abusing it' is not a defense to prosecution.
If you sound it just once, a cop hears you, and decides to cite you for violating Sec. 547.501 of the Texas Transportation Code, then good luck convincing a judge that a train horn does not "...emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound....".

You may be lucky, and not get a ticket. You may be unlucky and cause an accident.
The last thing I want is some jackass sounding a train horn when I'm trying to get some sleep on my drive to work.
ponyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyuk View Post
What about any other people/vehicles that also stopped in their tracks because they happened to be nearby, was that also the correct effect?
Yup, still the correct effect. Maybe it prevented them from being hit by the same person. I know when I hear a fire truck sounding air horns I don't immediately slam on my brakes causing a 10 car accident. Its probably safe to say that one that isn't as loud from being mounted under the truck is going to have a similar effect. Same goes for dump trucks, tractor trailers, and anything else that uses an air system for brakes. You hear a lot about these types of wrecks in your neck of the woods?

Quote:
'not abusing it' is not a defense to prosecution.
If you sound it just once, a cop hears you, and decides to cite you for violating Sec. 547.501 of the Texas Transportation Code, then good luck convincing a judge that a train horn does not "...emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound....".
Depends on the cop and the situation I guess. If I just saved a line of kids from getting run over my chances of getting a ticket are probably pretty slim. On the other hand anything up to the cops discretion is just that. Judges seldom let you off for anything thats left open to interpretation anyway. Exhibition of acceleration comes to mind.

Quote:
You may be lucky, and not get a ticket. You may be unlucky and cause an accident.
The last thing I want is some jackass sounding a train horn when I'm trying to get some sleep on my drive to work.
Oh bless your little heart. I could also prevent several accidents from some jacknut sleeping on the drive to work.. The best thing is I will tip my hat to you and offer a friendly wave for offending you personally.

And just to add something more constructive to the thread instead of derailing it with opinions.. Don't skimp on the compressor. You can use it for a lot of other things besides the horn for not much more money. Lockers, airbags, tire inflation etc.
Klein 220 Horns
Expedition 1 Rear Bumper
The Following User Says Thank You to screaminz2002 For This Useful Post:
Tundra315 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well the horn right now is 219.95 with no discount!

mods

too many to list lol!!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYK View Post
What is the point of these train horns? I have seen the videos.. I've even heard a few in person. I guess I don't get it.. Only time I ever see them used is to freak people out, and to get attention as they are cruising through downtown ft worth or Dallas.

IMO Tundra drivers have a little more sense than that haha.. I could see some of these Chevy guys doing that though!
It's just for fun.

mods

too many to list lol!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tundras_rock For This Useful Post:
TxTundra46 (02-18-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 16,829 Times in 6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYK View Post

You answered your own question.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
OkSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion