Local shop wrecked my truck! - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,067 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Why does that look like waaay more than scraping a service bay door? Someone was in a hurry. I'll keep my opinions to myself and hope that the shop can "erase" that boo boo

2014 SR5 CM TRD 4x4 2.5/1 level, Fuel Maverick 18x9, 305 65R18 Falkens, TRD sway, Color matched Handles/Caps, Partial Debadge, Tinted.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tundergas For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013), Powertechn2 (01-06-2013), riccnick (01-03-2013), wacked (01-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would be so pissed right now. Just dont bring your baseball bat down there
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tundra Hunden For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013), Powertechn2 (01-06-2013), riccnick (01-03-2013), wacked (01-03-2013)
#18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM

X2 on the diminished value. I was rear ended last year and got 1k of diminished value money from the insurance company. Of course I WOULD NOT HAVE gotten that money if I didn't argue for it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flippindrew For This Useful Post:
#19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 18,659 Times in 7,360 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
About all you can do is take it where you want it to get it fixed and make them pay for a pickup rental until it is done.

Sucks but you can't kill people for having accidents. That's what my lawyer tells me anyway.

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-04-2013), dikkie (01-04-2013), Powertechn2 (01-06-2013), Siltundra (01-06-2013), wacked (01-03-2013)
#20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippindrew View Post
X2 on the diminished value. I was rear ended last year and got 1k of diminished value money from the insurance company. Of course I WOULD NOT HAVE gotten that money if I didn't argue for it.
X3. Providing it shows up on carfax or auto check it could make it harder to trade in and or harder to sell outright. I would go to who ever will give the best no question warranty. Maybe a Toyota recommended shop? At a minimum 1K for diminished value that is three panels damaged. Rental of "equal" abilities. 4x4 and able to haul while repaired.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cu52 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013), Powertechn2 (01-06-2013), wacked (01-03-2013)
#21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Thats not that much damage at all. They told you they would pay for it. Tell them straight out they can pay cash to the body shop and it wont be reported thus not diminishing your vehicle reports, or they can put it through thier insurance and you'll be going for the diminished value on top of repairs.

There isnt much body work there to be done looking at the pics. Any good shop will easily fix it 100% and all it will say on the report in the future is hit fixed object, sometimes if minimalist enough it wont show on the report at all.

08 Tundra DC 5.7 SR5 TRD

ReadyLift 3/2 kit
295 70 18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
The Following User Says Thank You to snowtoy8 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013)
#22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,831 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
I'm not sure if that is correct or not. Ive received 2 different insurance claim checks from 2 different vehicles. One was from my insurance, the other was from walmarts insurance. Neither vehicle went to a repair shop. I repaired one myself, and didn't repair the other. Both had clean carfax when I went to sell them.

As far as I know, it is the repair shops responsibility to report damage, not insurance company. Unless things have changed. (And not all shops will report, so keep that trick up your sleeve)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013)
#23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It sucks, but we all make mistakes. Have it fixed to your satisfaction, and try not to let it bother you. I would politely ask the dealership for free Maintanence for as long as you own the truck. You would be money ahead instead of asking them to give depreciation money. Have a one on one sit down with the GM. I worked at numerous dealerships years ago, and when something like this happens, every dealer I ever worked for was very sympathetic and accommodating when an accident happened. They don't like lawsuits and headaches
The Following User Says Thank You to toyot@tundr@ For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013)
#24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM
Premium Member

I would just make sure it is in writing. I would be surprised if it shows up on a carfax though- MIght as well argue for the money anyways- their fault after all.

2008 Tundra 5.7 DC 4X4
Tow Package
Stock
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmccoy386 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013), Powertechn2 (01-06-2013)
#25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I will have to argue for the diminished value from the insurance company. Does anyone have any tips, or should I basically stick to the Car Fax point, and that it's not as good as new. I"m sure the insurance company is going to argue that it was repaired back into the same condition. But in my opinion, it's damaged and repaired, not in the same as it was before they wrecked it.

I have an appointment with the body shop on Monday to get an estimate.

2011 Double Cab SR5 4x4 - Spruce Mica, bed liner, deck rails, Homelink mirror, Stainless N-fab bars, TonnoPro tri-fold, Pioneer AVH-8400BH, JL Audio speakers all around, Bilstein 5100s in front on the top setting, diff drop, Coachbuilder +3" shackles with all poly bushings in the rear, and 285/75R18 Toyo Open Country AT2s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eddiemeddiem For This Useful Post:
#26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
As far as I know, it is the repair shops responsibility to report damage, not insurance company. Unless things have changed. (And not all shops will report, so keep that trick up your sleeve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyot@tundr@ View Post
I would politely ask the dealership for free Maintanence for as long as you own the truck. You would be money ahead instead of asking them to give depreciation money.
Bad Dad is correct. From my experience, the repair shop is the one who reports the repairs to CarFax. And, as stated, not all shops will report depending on their... ehem, "practices". I rear-ended a car in an SUV I owned a while back. I had it repaired at a local shop and one of the hooks the shop used on me to gain the business was that they would not report it if I went with them. When I traded in the SUV, no mention was ever made to me about it's history or accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemeddiem View Post
I will have to argue for the diminished value from the insurance company. Does anyone have any tips, or should I basically stick to the Car Fax point, and that it's not as good as new. I"m sure the insurance company is going to argue that it was repaired back into the same condition. But in my opinion, it's damaged and repaired, not in the same as it was before they wrecked it.
Keep in mind when you speak with the insurance company... THEY will not volunteer the deminished value point to you. In fact, they will probably transfer you to this department then to that department in hopes of shaking you off. However, once you hook up with the right rep, there shouldn't be much of a fight. THEY know what it is you are referring to and they know the insurance company's responsibility is to bring the car back to the condition it was at before the accident. After repairs, it may LOOK like new but they know it is not new due to its value has declined. That's why they should not argue the point. They may try and low-ball you on how much payout you get though. But, not much you can do on that without having a baseline for reference.

All just my opinions based on my experience... hope that helps.

2012 SilverSky CM Limited: TRD Shifter, aFe CAI, BedRug, Leer 550 Tonneau, TRD Sway Bar, V-LED interior, BAMuffler, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Pro Comp 2" Level, 305/55 Terras on 20" Boosts. (slowly but surely)

Next: Grill, Bullbar (maybe), ....

Last edited by Vipor; 01-04-2013 at 04:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vipor For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-04-2013)
#27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM

What sucks about the diminished value is that to try to get as much info as I could, I went to a local Toyota dealer and told them I wanted to trade to get a trade in value. They told me my truck was worth 2500-3000 less because of the diminished value of having a Car Fax Report on my truck. Insurance co. would only give me 1k because the stupid @$$ stealerships would not give me a written trade offer without ACTUALLY purchasing a new truck. When I was rear ended, the repairs came to around 5K.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flippindrew For This Useful Post:
#28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,067 Posts
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
this - "But in my opinion, it's damaged and repaired, not in the same as it was before they wrecked it."

I've driven from the repair shop to the dealer and traded the vehicle in the same day. I know, not everyone nor every time can a person do that, but at that point I had good equity and moved before things went south

2014 SR5 CM TRD 4x4 2.5/1 level, Fuel Maverick 18x9, 305 65R18 Falkens, TRD sway, Color matched Handles/Caps, Partial Debadge, Tinted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tundergas For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-05-2013), Powertechn2 (01-06-2013)
#29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 AM

Someone is getting fired lol

2009 Silverado ECSB 5.3L
8" Fabtech // 3" Zone // King Coilovers // Fabtech Dirtlogic rears // 37x13.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers // 20x9 Ballistic Jesters // 4.88s // TrueTrac // Volant // EFILive by Blackbear Performance // Dumped true duals with Dynomax bullets // 4300K Lows and Fogs // One-off Grille Guard //
The Following User Says Thank You to OBXSharker For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-05-2013)
#30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 AM

Thanked 7,897 Times in 3,867 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtoy8 View Post
Thats not that much damage at all. They told you they would pay for it. Tell them straight out they can pay cash to the body shop and it wont be reported thus not diminishing your vehicle reports, or they can put it through thier insurance and you'll be going for the diminished value on top of repairs.

There isnt much body work there to be done looking at the pics. Any good shop will easily fix it 100% and all it will say on the report in the future is hit fixed object, sometimes if minimalist enough it wont show on the report at all.

Umm, I guess "isn't much bodywork" is in the eye of the beholder... although the door skin and the bedside are replaceable panels, what about the rear cab corner?? Are they gonna do filler, or cut and weld... That is a major issue, once you pass doorskins and bedsides you get into what is not minor bodywork... And it can easily just be filled, which is great for a year or few, till it pops out... And as for the carfax, it is all up to the shop... My steppops backed into my truck in 2004/5ish, I took it to the shop of my choice, I asked them, they said once the vin is recorded that it automatically goes into carfax... Then again, that was years ago, nowadays carfax isn't as good as it used to be due to people trying to avoid it... My truck was able to be fixed without paint work, just dent removal and buffing and new flare... was still 5-600 bucks... from a prius lol. I told them to not record my vin... they were cool with it, especially cause it was a cash job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSharker View Post
Someone is getting fired lol
Honestly, likely no one got fired, unless they were already a shitty employee... Realistically shit does happen, everywhere, whether it be dealers messing up wheels or someone cutting a corner too close and not adjusting mirrors and seating position to properly view the sides of said vehicle... I know that I tend to try not to move mirrors and what not on vehicles I bring in or out, sometimes you have to, but in general I just am cautious and nothing has happened so far with me. I know that if I messed up something I would still have my job lol. We have had a truck fall off the hoist, hoist arm brakes didn't work correctly... No one got in trouble other than the person that ordered the cheapest hoist they could find... We fixed the issue as best as we could, customer got new bedside, paint, full detail, and lions tickets to the sweet we have... and it was a work truck with salter and plow... they got the better end of the deal.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (01-06-2013)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.