Rant about the " Free 2YR 25K Service" - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
"Resident Crackpot"

Thanked 9,591 Times in 4,317 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
My road-side assistance is covered under the additional warranty that I purchased.
The maint is free (for 2 years).
If you have a 5.7 (non FFV) and they tell you the oil gets changed every 10k or 1 yr (whichever comes first), it's because it came with synthetic oil and there's no reason to change it at 5k, because synthetic oils made NOW, aren't like the oils made 20 yrs ago and the 5.7 in a late model Tundra, is not like the 350 in your '86 Suburban.
So, regardless of what you've been told all your life about oil, if they say 10k, it's because the oil is good for 10k.
There's no need for them to throw oil away, twice as often as necessary. It's a waste of money. It's not because they want to fukk anyone.
Why would they skimp on $70 worth of oil and take the chance of having to buy you a new engine?
They wouldn't.
Even new conventional oils are good for over 5k.
Which, if your Tundra came with conventional oil in it, they will continue to use conventional and they will change it every 5k or 6 mo. (whichever comes first).
If you have a FFV, they will change the oil more often, regardless if it's conventional or synth. (not sure on the details, 'cause I don't have a FFV).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
My road-side assistance is covered under the additional warranty that I purchased.
The maint is free (for 2 years).
If you have a 5.7 (non FFV) and they tell you the oil gets changed every 10k or 1 yr (whichever comes first), it's because it came with synthetic oil and there's no reason to change it at 5k, because synthetic oils made NOW, aren't like the oils made 20 yrs ago and the 5.7 in a late model Tundra, is not like the 350 in your '86 Suburban.
So, regardless of what you've been told all your life about oil, if they say 10k, it's because the oil is good for 10k.
There's no need for them to throw oil away, twice as often as necessary. It's a waste of money. It's not because they want to fukk anyone.
Why would they skimp on $70 worth of oil and take the chance of having to buy you a new engine?
They wouldn't.
Even new conventional oils are good for over 5k.
Which, if your Tundra came with conventional oil in it, they will continue to use conventional and they will change it every 5k or 6 mo. (whichever comes first).
If you have a FFV, they will change the oil more often, regardless if it's conventional or synth. (not sure on the details, 'cause I don't have a FFV).
I agree -I used to manage several Jiffy Lubes back in the days. CNG used to require a different motor oil and that was from Pennzoil (was on the bottle) not to use on CNG vehicles- but heres a pic of the Toyota care I got for my 2012

Synthetic oils manufactures always would say there oils can go the extra miles - it was just till recently that the car manufactures agree with them and the warranty has been adjusted for this. I know someone here will remember hearing "oil rep says there syn oil is good for 10,000 miles before changing it do the filter every 5k-just don't tell you dealership because they may void you warranty"

Black Tundra Club Member #178
2012 5.7 DC Black on Black SR5-tow-off road.
N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
V Series A.R.E cap with Yakima roof rack
Yakima MegaWarrior with extension
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
#33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,138 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage
I plan on have an oil analysis done at my next 5000 mile oil change. They should tell me that there is plenty of additive in my oil and I can extend it before the next oil change. Then I'll do the next one at 7500 miles and send in a sample again. If it all looks good, I'll go for 10K miles. Then have it analyzed again. Even though I use Mobil One I'll probably not go over 10K miles no matter what they say. But I'll be confident the oil is good not just changing every 10K because Toyota said I could.

It's cheap and you find out good info on the health of your engine as well as how far your oil can safely go and still provide protection. Request a free test kit and be ready for your next oil change. It's 35.00 to have it analyzed. (25.00 for the base tests but an extra 10.00 to have the remaining amount of protective additives checked. Critical if you plan on extending your intervals)

Blackstone Labs

- I'm Ken and I approve this message -

2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - TRD SS Steps - 20" Ultra Mammoth Wheels - Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/55-20 - CST Spindles - +2 Shackles - Rear 5100s -
Tint - Ventvisors - Sport Shifter - Line X Premium - Access Loredo Tonneau - White Dash LEDs - BHLM - Oracle Halos - Dirty Deeds BAMuffler SS Exhaust....
Details in My Garage

Frequent Yamaha AR230 Jetboat Attachment!
#34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1980 View Post
4.6 is every 10k. 5.7 is every 10k, unless you have the FFV engine and then it is every 5k. If you run ethanol gas, they recommend every 2,500 but that is on your own dime. With the 5.7 (non-FFV) and the 4.6, it comes out to being 2 oil changes.
NO!!!!!

OK, your post is the "closest to being correct".
EVERYONE READ CAREFULLY.

1. 4.6 V8; SYNTHETIC ONLY! gets an oil change every 10k UNLESS under adverse conditions then you should do a 5k change

2. 5.7 V8 FFV DOES NOT MATTER Conventional oil used. 5w/20. OPTIONALLY you may use 0w/20 SYNTHETIC oil. THIS ENGINE GETS AN OIL CHANGE EVERY 5K REGARDLESS OF USE OF SYNTHETIC OR NOT Finally, IF you have a FFV and PRIMARILY USE E85 you MUST do an oil change every 2500 miles.

I HOPE THIS CLEARS IT UP. I have read SO SO much misinformation on this topic. if you have a 4.6 its synthetic only, if you have a 5.7 is conventional oil from the factory.

84 grand prix ROLLIN 3
86 Grand National LITLV6
2012 Camry SE V6
87 K-5, rust rust and more rust
2010 Crew Max Yota Platinum Slate Metallic. HEMI LOL
02 Ext. Cab Silverado with a Dirtymax (hers)
WESTSIDE LOWRIDERS C.C.
The Following User Says Thank You to HEMI LOL For This Useful Post:
riccnick (12-07-2012)
#35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well at least I know they rotated my tires by the evidence that they did not adjust the psi... 33 and 30 back/front was reversed from when I took it up there but ironically they stated that they DID adjust the air pressure BULLSHEET!!

2012 Tundra CrewMax 4.6 V8 w/tow-package. A.R.E. Z Series

TWAC # 74
WTC # 74

#36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM
"Resident Crackpot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI LOL View Post
1. 4.6 V8; SYNTHETIC ONLY! gets an oil change every 10k UNLESS under adverse conditions then you should do a 5k change

2. 5.7 V8 FFV DOES NOT MATTER Conventional oil used. 5w/20. OPTIONALLY you may use 0w/20 SYNTHETIC oil. THIS ENGINE GETS AN OIL CHANGE EVERY 5K REGARDLESS OF USE OF SYNTHETIC OR NOT Finally, IF you have a FFV and PRIMARILY USE E85 you MUST do an oil change every 2500 miles.

I HOPE THIS CLEARS IT UP. I have read SO SO much misinformation on this topic. if you have a 4.6 its synthetic only, if you have a 5.7 is conventional oil from the factory.
I agree with everything in this post. Especially the misinformation/confusion part.
However, I believe you're incorrect about the 5.7.
Yes, mine came with conventional and intervals are 5k.
But, if I had the dealer switch to synth on the next change, the rcommended intervals go to 10k.
You can change it or have it changed as much as you like, if you pay for it, but they recommend 10k for synth.
If I'm not mistaken, the 2012 5.7 started coming from the factory with synth and the intervals are 10k.
#37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

'12 5.7 ffv came from the factory with synthetic and they change it for free (with synth.) every 5K or 6 months.....up to 2 years or 25K. Just had my 2nd one done. jeeeesh

'12 DC 5.7 4X4 TRD SR5 virginal white
bushwacker pocket flares, n-fab nerf bars, line-x, access Larado cover, BAmuffler, de-badged, charcoal filter delete, 18x9 +25 off. ultra gauntlet, 285/65/18 Nitto Trails, Bilstein 5100-top notch
#38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM

I do mine by time. Cause if i had to wait 10000 miles it might be almost 3 years! I never had any problems with Toyota care or my dealer. Had 2 oil changes so far in the year and 4 months i have it with 4500 miles on it.

2011 CM Rock Warrior
#39 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI LOL View Post
NO!!!!!

OK, your post is the "closest to being correct".
EVERYONE READ CAREFULLY.

I have a 2012 5.7 Synthetic oil in mine from factory......0W20 also states FFV engine type 3ur-fbe uses synthetic but gets changed @ 5k

I did find this on toyota.com/owners so you are correct on this-->
Quote:
t is considered a Special Operating Condition if the engine in a Flex Fuel Vehicle is run on E85 fuel more than 50 percent of the time. Under this Special Operating Condition, oil and filter changes are recommended every 2500 miles. The Toyota Care complimentary maintenance plan only covers normal factory recommended maintenance services at 5k, 10k, 20k and 25k miles. Oil and filter changes between these covered services are the customer’s responsibility. This information is also available in the Toyota Care Welcome Kit.

N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
AIP Failure on 12/30/12

Last edited by Bluewoo; 12-07-2012 at 09:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluewoo For This Useful Post:
riccnick (12-07-2012)
#40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
"Resident Crackpot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewoo View Post
I have a 2012 5.7 Synthetic oil in mine from factory......0W20.
also states FFV engine type 3ur-fbe uses synthetic but gets changed @ 5k
Yes.
I just wanted to point out and make clear that,
the non-FF 5.7's that come with synthetic from the factory, get 10k intervals.
Because it's synthetic oil.
Not because the dealer is screwing anyone and jipping you out of 2 oil changes.
And it has nothing to do with 4.6 or 5.7.
If it's synthetic, it's 10k. If it's conventional, it's 5k. Simple.
A lot of folks seemed to be confused on that.
FFV's have a whole different set of rules.
I wasn't debating FFV with anyone, because I don't own one or know anything about it and I didn't want to get away from the simple point I was trying to make.

Last edited by RRzxter; 12-07-2012 at 10:56 AM.
#41 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM

Roger that..

N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
#42 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewoo View Post
I have a 2012 5.7 Synthetic oil in mine from factory......0W20 also states FFV engine type 3ur-fbe uses synthetic but gets changed @ 5k

I did find this on toyota.com/owners so you are correct on this-->
Its interesting that you have put up materials that show you get an oil change every 10k........ This irritates me because its MY JOB to know this information! So, i will say this........ Up until VERY recently at every training event our Trainers from Toyota have preached 5k oil changes on the 5.7 REGARDLESS of oil type used....... Apparantly as your paperwork suggests they have now changed this and i never received info from the factory that this was changing so i stand corrected and i apologize that my info was incorrect. in my region (cincinnati) we dont see non flex fuel 5.7's unless they are 2wd. all 4x4's in certain regions cannot be ordered new without being a FFV 5.7. My personal truck however i dealer traded a dealer in rochester NY so my 4x4 2010 5.7 is non ffv. i just had a 2wd 5.7 double cab with the TRD sport package in black that still showed 5k oil changes and that truck was built in april of this year.

THANKS for posting the paperwork as i would have been hard pressed to believe it changed unless i saw it.

For everyone that doesnt have a REALLY new truck please dont change from 5k intervals unless you get confirmation from TOYOTA NOT YOUR DEALER that its ok to do so as you could void your warranty if something were to go wrong......

84 grand prix ROLLIN 3
86 Grand National LITLV6
2012 Camry SE V6
87 K-5, rust rust and more rust
2010 Crew Max Yota Platinum Slate Metallic. HEMI LOL
02 Ext. Cab Silverado with a Dirtymax (hers)
WESTSIDE LOWRIDERS C.C.
The Following User Says Thank You to HEMI LOL For This Useful Post:
Bluewoo (12-07-2012)
#43 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,138 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Same here...2012 4X2 non flex 5.7 10K synthetic from the factory.

- I'm Ken and I approve this message -

2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - TRD SS Steps - 20" Ultra Mammoth Wheels - Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/55-20 - CST Spindles - +2 Shackles - Rear 5100s -
Tint - Ventvisors - Sport Shifter - Line X Premium - Access Loredo Tonneau - White Dash LEDs - BHLM - Oracle Halos - Dirty Deeds BAMuffler SS Exhaust....
Details in My Garage

Frequent Yamaha AR230 Jetboat Attachment!
#44 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Not a problem HEMI LOL just passing on the info I have - glad to help without starting a fight. lol
Its always amazing how the ones who need the correct info are always the last to get it.

Glad we could help you out

N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
#45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Thanked 1,168 Times in 600 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pas Bon View Post
Okay I understand I should've known before I bought the truck but geesh what a load of crap.

They want you to bring it in to fill up the windshield washer reservoir and rotate the tires.

Then at 10K I'll actually get an oil change. They don't tell you up front that the deal is really only worth 2 oil changes and 5 tire rotations. Well maybe I'll get an air filter out of it. They told me today that the cabin filter wouldn't get changed until 30K.

Bottom line is it shouldn't be considered when deciding on a purchase....Because it ain't really worth much. I wish I would've tried to talk my stealership into at least a few more free oil changes.

I really wish I would have hung out here more before I bought it.

Okay I'm done.
Its 25k miles, you can only get so much done in 25k miles - not sure what the complaint is all about to be honest. I think I got 4-5 oil changes. I hit the 2 year mark sooner than 25k mark.

----
2010 CrewMax SR5 Slate Metallic 5.7L TRD
Mods: TRD Supercharged, TRD Sway Bar, N-Fab 4 step, Window Tint, Door Sill Protectors, debadged, WeatherTech Digital mats, V-Led Interior Lights - 4 LED High Power 6K, Bilstein 5100's in the rear

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion