User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking at buying a tundra

Hey guys new here and wanting some info of the 07-11 tundras. I'm looking at buying one at the fist of the year just wanting to know the pros and cons reliability issuses ect, what performance parts are avalible things to look for when test driving more or less real feedback from actual owners instead of magazines and comercials. I currently own a 04 tacoma and a 08 titan though the tacoma is great and has been issue free I need a fullsize hence the titan but after buying the titan and driving awhile i'm not convenced this thing is going to be as trouble free as the tacoma and one of my biggest complaints about the titan is the transmission it will not hold a gear in tow mode i've been to the dealer and on forums its just a useless botton if you ask me. I'm looking at buying a ext or crew cab 4x4 with tow package. Any advice would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Welcome to the forum... I am in the same boat debating between a Tundra and Ford F150.... I had a 2010 Prius and it has been issue free for 53K miles.. No trips to any repair shops or dealership at all except for the factory maintenance... I wanted to get a Pickup for a while now and have narrowed down my search to these two... Toyota Tundra has a lot of aftermarket parts and mods available.. The biggest one that i believe is the Supercharger which boosts the power to sports car like.... then their are brakes, lifts, headlamps and tailights, and bunch of other accessories as well... well the owners and the regular members will shed more light, i just thought of giving my 2 cents worth of knowledge to you....
#3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the in put. I see that you were interested in the f150 if you haven't already I'd checked their forums for problems especially the Eco boost I am not a ford fan but I was interested in the new eco boost and from what I read ford needs to work out some kinks before I'd consider one.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 AM
" Brokeback Breaker"
Premium Member

Thanked 8,944 Times in 4,652 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Garage
IMO the overall quality of the Tundra is better than the F-150 and it is CERTAINLY better than the Titan. Last I checked, the Titan was on Consumer Reports list of vehicles to avoid while the Tundra was on their list of most reliable vehicles. I think the F-150 has a more 'polished' interior than the Tundra but the Tundra will beat the F-150 in every power category and the Tundra only seems to suffer from a few reoccurring issues like the steering rack.

If you tow then you cannot go wrong with the Tundra 5.7 but I have heard several complaints about the 4.6 searching for gears. My travel trailer is only about 5000 pounds loaded so I cannot speak to heavier weights but I routinely pull it up Mount Lemmon which probably averages at least 7% grade the entire way up (@26 miles) and it is literally a joke for the Tundra.

The ecoBoost still has issues and is over-rated anyway, especially given the premium they want for it. With how much they are asking for that engine you may never recoup your money in saved gas.

AZTC #1 | BRC #77 |SSC #3
Smittybilt M1 Front & Rear Bumpers, Smittybilt XRC10 Winch, OME 612 w/ ½ in Spacer, CB +3 Shackles, CB Poly Bushings, OME Extended Rear Shocks, LR UCA’s,
Firestone Airbags w/ On-board Compressor, +35 Ballistic Wizards, 295/70/18 Trail Grapplers, BAMuffler, Clazzios, Grillcraft MX Grille, N-Fab Steps, Dashcam, UC Swing Cases
My Build Thread
#5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
I didn't see anything about the rack issues what's that about also does your truck hold gear in tow mode or does it shift as soon as it can my titan always tries to shift to the highest gear even when I put it in tow mode I have put it in manual mode to keep from goin in OD I understand it needs to go there a cruising speeds but at 35 it's trying to shift there
#6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM
"Thread Killer"
Premium Member

Thanked 12,083 Times in 5,359 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
The tundra will put a smile on your face every time you jump in and turn it on :-)
I also debated this purchase for over a year and looked into all the possible mods that are available... However, I feel that this truck really is perfect as it is, All of the mods that i've heard of or considered, i've read that most that have installed them have promptly removed them (CAI, Exhausts) because it actually lowers the mpg & the actual performance..
Hope you find the right tundra and that it serves you well.

Can't Spell... Can't Type...
But I'm Going To Post Anyway!
#7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Garage
I have had my Tundra for almost 2 months. Did a little towing with it. If anything, it hangs onto the lower gear for longer than I would like. I hate gear hunting as much as the next guy, but this truck really holds onto them ( especially in tow/haul mode). Out of tow/haul Mode it does try to shift up pretty quickly if your foot isn't in it...

Also, from what I have read here the steering rack failures have been pretty much isolated to 07 and newer Tundras with suspension lifts. Not all of them, just a moderate percentage from my take. I only have 3200 miles on mine, but I will be installing a leveling kit soon so I guess I will see

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2012 Nautical Blue Tundra CM, Limited, 5.7, 4x4, TRD Off Road.
Leveled (RC 3" Lift up Front & CB1 +2 Shackles), Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, Tekonsha P3, Tonno Pro Lo-Roll, 4" SteelCraft SS Bars, Airaid TBS, Weathertech DF Mats...
New England Tundra Club Member #23
Tundra Campers Club Member #2
Save The Chrome Club Member #6

Last edited by BigNuge; 11-19-2012 at 11:12 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the replies sounds like the tundra should be as reliable as my Tacoma is. Does anyone know if the T-case is chain or gear driven and how to tell the difference between tow package and not
#9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM
" Brokeback Breaker"
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipedrope View Post
Thanks for all the replies sounds like the tundra should be as reliable as my Tacoma is. Does anyone know if the T-case is chain or gear driven and how to tell the difference between tow package and not
My previous truck was a Taco and while it is too early to tell, I really doubt that the Tundra will be as reliable as the Taco; nothing to back that up with except my gut but the Taco, for me at least, was flawless and in 3 years never had a single issue.

Regarding the tow package, GET IT! The tow package is the best money you can spend on your truck IMO even if you don't plan to tow b/c the vast majority of people shopping for a Tundra will want that package. It includes the hitch, both trailer connectors, larger battery, trailer brake pre-wire, larger alternator, tow-haul mode and switch and transmission cooler. If you want to tell if the tow package is present just look for the tow-haul switch either on the dash (non-bench seat model) or on the right shifter (bench seat model) and verify both trailer connectors are present.

Smittybilt M1 Front & Rear Bumpers, Smittybilt XRC10 Winch, OME 612 w/ ½ in Spacer, CB +3 Shackles, CB Poly Bushings, OME Extended Rear Shocks, LR UCA’s,
Firestone Airbags w/ On-board Compressor, +35 Ballistic Wizards, 295/70/18 Trail Grapplers, BAMuffler, Clazzios, Grillcraft MX Grille, N-Fab Steps, Dashcam, UC Swing Cases
My Build Thread
#10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks will do now I just got to wait till the first and see how bad they rape me for my titan
#11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
" Brokeback Breaker"
Premium Member

Garage

My Build Thread
#12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
Nice that's what I'm looking for I also agree Az heat is he'll lol
#13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM

go with the 5.7l

2008 sr5 4x4,trd, 4.7l dbl (traded)
2011 s5r 4x4,trd 5.7l dbl. Barcelona red, black ionic r/b's, black billet grill, avs rain/hood guards, bed rug, rugged cover, oem underseat box, volant cai, trd sway bar, tint, rockford spkrs, alpine mrp-f300, s/o b-8pt shallow bass.weather-tech liners, mbrp 304ss duels
#14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM

I wasn't planning on a truck. Just needed something for fun since I have a work vehicle. Was set on a jeep, but at 6'4 250, I felt cramped since I drive a f550 for work. Was looking at a Highlander for the wife, and fell in love with a modded Tundra they had. Tundra is hands down the best looking truck IMO, and that means a lot to me. Definitely get the 5.7, after that package is up to you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2012 DC RW 3" RC front, BHLM, PC beadlocks, NFAB Steps
Magnetic Grey Club #18
#15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
Oh there's no doubt I never understood why people but the smaller engine choices all to waste money trying to make them more powerful when for the same money you can buy the engine you want

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion