Couldn't get the filter cannister off... - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,824 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
I don't understand how you had 1/3 quart of oil drain out after you used the nipple to drain the oil out of the housing? I've never had any extra oil come out after draining the housing

Also, my '07 is 2wd and I have a skidplate...all TRD models come with one

Also, please don't ruin your truck by taking it to jiffy lube that will get you banned around here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lessons learned the hard way are why I do it myself now! Used to take it to the quick lube until I got wise to crap they were pulling...

Take a look at Amsoil or some of the other synthetics. If you don't like changing your oil so frequently, there are some options on extended filters/oils. I change mine once a year and am done.

2008 5.7 CM SR5 TRD 4x4 in Slate; TRD dual exhaust; TRD Shifter; ReadyLift 3/1; XD HOSS 18x9 (+30); Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65/18; BHLM; ORACLE blue/white SMD halo's; ArmorThane liner; Raider Nomad II cap; tint; stainless Toyota steps

TWACC Member #44
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome14 For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (11-14-2012)
#18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Banned
Premium Member

I agree with what you said Jerome, except for the "extended filter" part. I did quite a bit of research trying to decide which filter to use, and all my reading led me to the $5 OEM filters. I use good synthetic oils (currently Amsoil, and going to German Castrol next), so I can extend my oil change intervals, while getting better protection. I'm sure the oil filter will last just as long as the oil, but I just change my oil filter halfway through anyway. It costs me $5 for the filter, and a few bucks for the oil that I'm adding back in. Takes 20 minutes to replace the filter, and add some oil back in. I am changing my oil filter at 5k miles, and changing the oil at 10k miles.
#19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,954 Times in 2,189 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchhooker View Post
about a 6" piece of hose that fits over the nipple of the drain tool makes the job MUCH easier and cleaner.

I feel spoiled, mine being 2WD, i don't have a skidplate to deal with.
I had a 2008 grade level 2wd NON TRD and now have a 2012 SR5 2wd non trd. They both have the same skidplate that must be removed to get to the filter. Sounds like someone has removed yours to simplify things. It probably only adds a couple minutes, it's not that big of a deal to remove.

-
(From WOT to WOW Wide Open Throttle to Wide Open Wallet)

- I'm Ken and I approve this message -

2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - TRD SS Steps - 20" Ultra Mammoth Wheels - Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/55-20 - CST Spindles - +2 Shackles - Rear 5100s -
Tint - Ventvisors - Sport Shifter - Line X Premium - Access Loredo Tonneau - White Dash LEDs - BHLM - Oracle Halos - Dirty Deeds BAMuffler SS Exhaust....
Details in My Garage

Frequent Yamaha AR230 Jetboat Attachment!
#20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
DJW

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again all. I was only kidding (due to high disgust level) about Jiffy lube.

My 2wd TRD has the skid plate- a small drag to get on and off- but I'm glad it's there.

I did use a rubber hose, right into a sterile can. I left it there about 15 minutes, but when I removed the bannister, there was still about 1/3 qt running down my arms.

And yes, I always use synthetic oil- this truck is really only a tow vehicle for the airstream, so things can get hot.

Oh well, I've recovered now and won't have to face this again for awhile- and I'll know more about how to do it.

Also, I don't get the mid-oil change filter replacement. Unless your engine is shedding metal, or you live in a dust bowl, it's hard to imagine the filter would get clogged half way thru an oil change. Standard procedure with the old BMW motorcycles I play with is to change the filter every OTHER oil change.

Don

Last edited by DJW; 11-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJW For This Useful Post:
kcarel (11-17-2012)
#21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just as an update I followed the above link and ran into a link that he sells the item on ebay. The tool also comes with the metal filter housing. Link below:

Toyota Lexus Scion Special Oil Filter Wrench Tool V6 V8 Filter Cap 15620 31060 | eBay

2014 F250 KingRanch CCSB - 6.7L PSD - 3.55 Locker - Bak Roll-X - Hybrid RhinoLined - Airlift 5000 series
Sold - 2013 FX4 EB Supercrew
Sold - 2012 Tundra Crewmax Platinum 4x4
#22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
the tool I'm linking below looks to be a far better option IMHO and is the one I've been using for the last several years on 2 vehicles - the biggest concern I have about the tool in the previous post is stripping/rounding out the square hole when trying to loosen a filter cap that the dealer overtorqued (happened to me twice, thanks ToyotaCare!)... a single cast piece will handle a lot more punishment

Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus : Amazon.com : Automotive Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus : Amazon.com : Automotive

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 DC 4x2 5.7 Tow Pkg
Super White/Black "Dog Hair Magnet" Cloth

SAP Resin Bumper Swap, 2010 Sport Grill Conversion, Rostra Backup Camera, Homelink/Autodim, TRD 18's, DDM HID Lows, Venza Oil Filter Housing, Michelin LTX M/S2 255/70/18, Motor Trend Dog Hammock

2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White/Black
#23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime81 View Post
Just as an update I followed the above link and ran into a link that he sells the item on ebay. The tool also comes with the metal filter housing. Link below:

Toyota Lexus Scion Special Oil Filter Wrench Tool V6 V8 Filter Cap 15620 31060 | eBay
I'd contact CivicFerio on TS instead of buying it from him on ebay. It was worth the effort for me.
#24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Tundra noob here. Just attempted my first oil change and what a joke this whole filter concept is. Mine is an 07 and yep the plastic hex cap is rounded down. Will have to get the tool as well. When I went to walmart to get the filter I got a paper filter cylinder. Did not see a screw-in metal filter that I was expecting (like for every other vehicle in this world). This is my first truck so maybe it's a truck thing? Now, this paper filter is the only oil filter, right?

Also, since we have to take the whole cap off, why is there a smaller metal cap with a square hole in the middle? Is this a drain? When I took this off, I barely got anything out of it (literally like 2 drops). Is anyone replacing the o-ring for this too?

I cant believe I have to ask these noob questions about a filter. In the 15 years I've worked on cars, I've done everything to a vehicle from a heater core to transaxle to clutch to an entire engine transplant and I'm having to ask questions about a silly oil filter. LOL.

Thanks for the info on the tool, that has helped tremendously. I'm not as crazy as I thought I was getting.
#25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarel View Post
Tundra noob here. Just attempted my first oil change and what a joke this whole filter concept is. Mine is an 07 and yep the plastic hex cap is rounded down. Will have to get the tool as well. When I went to walmart to get the filter I got a paper filter cylinder. Did not see a screw-in metal filter that I was expecting (like for every other vehicle in this world). This is my first truck so maybe it's a truck thing? Now, this paper filter is the only oil filter, right?

Also, since we have to take the whole cap off, why is there a smaller metal cap with a square hole in the middle? Is this a drain? When I took this off, I barely got anything out of it (literally like 2 drops). Is anyone replacing the o-ring for this too?

I cant believe I have to ask these noob questions about a filter. In the 15 years I've worked on cars, I've done everything to a vehicle from a heater core to transaxle to clutch to an entire engine transplant and I'm having to ask questions about a silly oil filter. LOL.

Thanks for the info on the tool, that has helped tremendously. I'm not as crazy as I thought I was getting.
Yes, it is a paper filter. It should come with two o-ring rubber gaskets and a white plastic drain tool as well.

Yes, removing the metal cap itself does very little. It has a valve inside that has to pushed in order for the oil to flow out of the filter cap. This is what the plastic drain tool is for. Also, one of the gaskets that came with the filter is used for this o-ring.

There is a DIY oil change thread here and over at TS that might help explain things better. One trick for the plastic drain valve is to use a wine bottle to give you some extra leverage.

DIY: 5.7L Oil Change
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveAustin For This Useful Post:
kcarel (11-17-2012)
#26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned
Premium Member

Yes, the small cover with the square is to keep oil from leaking out of the drain hole. The o ring should be replaced. The oil filter should have come with a plastic drain tool. You jam that up in the hole, and the canister is drained of all the oil. Then you take the big cap off and replace the paper oil filter. I ordered 10 oem filters off ebay for $45, and it came with the small and large o rings, and plastic drain tool.

I actually prefer the canisters over spin ons, less messy imo. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong though, because everyone complains about how messy it is, but I have not made 1 mess ever, since I started changing the oil in my tundra

I believe there is a DIY write-up on the oil change. Read it, and you'll get it.

Edit- lol, steveaustin beat me to it.

Last edited by Bad Dad's Camrys; 11-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
kcarel (11-17-2012)
#27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys. I was wondering what the person was saying about the wine bottle and all that jazz, now I understand. I never even THOUGHT there'd need to be a write up on oil changes, so sorry I never checked there. having read it, I can see why. lol. crazy. I'll have an opinion on paper vs. screw on very soon. lol now it's work time.
#28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned
Premium Member

I was nervous about doing my own oil change after reading so many bitch sessions about it. After I completed my first one, I was like, WTF's the big deal? Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Ditchhooker (11-17-2012)
#29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM

I hear ya. When you're expecting a plug and screw on filter then see you got an underbody cover, o rings, special tool inventions and a plastic cap with locking mechanism and what I'm anticipating is going to be an armful of oil I can see why. Believe me I'd rather do this than say a heater core. I used to have a couple Mr2s and the clutch slave cylinder was just awful. Toyota has certainly done worse in designs LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to kcarel For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (11-17-2012)
#30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
thanks for the heads up on the skidplate. mine is a non TRD, but i will look to see of there is any signs of one formerly being on there, next time i am under it of course.

05 Avalon XLS
07 Limited 5.7L 2WD DCRB - billet grille, folding rear seat backs, LED frame strip lamps, BAmuffler
10 Forest River Salem 25S TT
Tundra Campers Club #35

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion