TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Tundra General Discussion (http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/)
-   -   Tundra to tow Space Shuttle (http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/113605-tundra-tow-space-shuttle.html)

ebone3 10-14-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundrakountry (Post 912497)
Or one of those covers on the hitch that displays, '' Remove to tow space shuttle''

I'll proudly display that on my hitch when not towing

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Powertechn2 10-15-2012 12:14 AM

I can't believe ( well, I guess I can...) how many people are bitching saying it's fake, saying it is being pushed, saying it is being hydraulically powered...

They apparently can't and won't read up on something saying it towed it across a bridge where the normal dolly/tow rig couldn't go over.

People are stupid.

eph em.

128,000 feet skydive would be ephing SIKKKKKKKKK
24 miles up... someone will say that is fake too... Terminal velocity over 700 mph...

hit 833 mph

Not thread humping, but it is also a great feat... No one else has done it, just like a pickup towing a shuttle...

Need-GM-Diesel 10-15-2012 07:50 AM

Ok, I did some digging. Actual weight is mentioned many times as being in the 300,000# range.

I spent a lot of time looking at the trailer. It's 16 axles (8 sets of 2), with 4 wheels per axle, for a total of 64 wheels. They appear to be standard 11R22.5 lowpro semi size tires.

At 300,000# that 4687# per wheel - within their ratings - here in Ontario we can put 20,000# on a single axle (in some configurations) split between 4 wheels, so they're actually hauling a few hundred more pounds..

Zero pounds are transferred to the towing vehicle because of it's configuration, so it's all riding on the trailer axles giving the 4687# figure.

So, I've personally hauled loads in the 150,000# range before, although only in a 8 axle Super-B train configuration. Total number of wheels, 30. I pulled it with a class 8 tractor, of course. Rolling resistances are huge - launching from a dead stop...you'd BETTER be in dead low and come into the launch gently.

So, getting back to the Toyota situation. I watched all the videos. They did all their homework and actually did test this ahead of time with dummy loads in the 300K range..but the actual video of the "launch" is lacking. The only video I see that appears to (Maybe, it's not even clear) show the launch is filmed under the truck, showing the driveshaft and dif torquing up. However, there's no corresponding outside shot. It might be sped up since it seems like it launches WAAAAAY too quickly with little hesitation or delay. For all we know it's not even filmed while it was pulling the 300K, but something much less. When they flip to one of the outside shots, further to that, it appears that the trailer is loaded with a lot less weight than they show putting on it in earlier videos.

At no point do they show anything to do with braking. 300K will stop pretty easy on it's own with just rolling resistance of all those tires on flat land, but get it on even a slight grade, and hold on. I'm sure there was someone there controlling a separate system for the trailers air brakes.

BUT, there are a LOT of strings left dangling, and I can't help but think that there is a lot of trickery going on with the video footage.

All that said, it doesn't appear that there is any outside power being applied from the trailer itself...but I'm still having a hard time believing that the 1/2 ton did this all by itself. Heck, a big diesel 1 ton would be huffing and puffing IMHO - GEARING (!!) is the big issue, not power...and anything less than a class 8 tractor just doesn't the gears to make this sort of thing workable in my opinion without literally beating the crap out of the vehicle forcing it to try to get it rolling.

FWIW, I hadn't considered that it was a 4X4 and surely in low range which multiplies torque many times, but I'd sure like to see some RAW unedited video footage of the truck launching the load from a dead stop, start to finish. We may all have to eat crow, but until I see REAL footage that debunks ALL the possible scenarios that are making this scenario questionable, I won't start eating.

Need-GM-Diesel 10-15-2012 07:56 AM

this is a job for mythbusters to de-bunk this

Need-GM-Diesel 10-15-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powertechn2 (Post 913324)
I can't believe ( well, I guess I can...) how many people are bitching saying it's fake, saying it is being pushed, saying it is being hydraulically powered...

They apparently can't and won't read up on something saying it towed it across a bridge where the normal dolly/tow rig couldn't go over.

People are stupid.

eph em.

128,000 feet skydive would be ephing SIKKKKKKKKK
24 miles up... someone will say that is fake too... Terminal velocity over 700 mph...

hit 833 mph

Not thread humping, but it is also a great feat... No one else has done it, just like a pickup towing a shuttle...

hey you are a moron you and i both know no 1/2-1ton is not gonna pull 300k from a dead stop....hell a class 8 tractor would have a hard time pulling the shuttle even if the truck is in deep reduction and in 1st gear:rolleyes:

BigNuge 10-15-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need-GM-Diesel (Post 913414)
hey you are a moron you and i both know no 1/2-1ton is not gonna pull 300k from a dead stop....hell a class 8 tractor would have a hard time pulling the shuttle even if the truck is in deep reduction and in 1st gear:rolleyes:

I see you have spent a lot of time thinking about Toyota Tundras...........

Mission complete :D

In all honesty, I'm sure there are devices in place that help the truck have a mechanical advantage against rolling resistance. I'm also certain that Toyota would not make such a case out of a test that wasn't really a test.

Bottom line, Toyota makes a better truck than the big 3 (this is coming from a GMC man until I bought my Tundra). Toyota stands behind their product better, AND builds it better. That's a combo that GM/Ford/Dodge have NEVER done right!

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

Wrider 10-15-2012 09:07 AM

Keep in mind if the Tundra was a manual, chances of it pulling this off would be either minimal or nonexistent.

The big difference here is that the tranny is automatic. That gives you the advantage of not having to worry about slipping the clutch or engaging it into gear. The torque converter does all the work for you and makes it possible to get started towing a whole lot more than you would otherwise be able to.

Sleepin 10-15-2012 10:22 AM

BigRed2007 10-15-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepin (Post 913485)

I printed this photo out, and will be giving it to one of the guys in the fire department that is a die-hard Ford guy. He thinks his Ford is more american made than my built in Indiana Tundra. Telling him the statistics are meaningless (fingers in ears shouting "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!")

firefighter238 10-15-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRed2007 (Post 913517)
I printed this photo out, and will be giving it to one of the guys in the fire department that is a die-hard Ford guy. He thinks his Ford is more american made than my built in Indiana Tundra. Telling him the statistics are meaningless (fingers in ears shouting "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!")

BIGRED2007,
Just do what I did at my firehouse. I let em drive mine all over the place. We now have FOUR Tundras on my shift! :D

dikkie 10-15-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepin (Post 913485)

i posted this pic on my facebook, together with the great comment junior07 made..!! :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/Tundranl.nl

:D dikkie :D

toyotaholic 10-15-2012 12:43 PM

Tundra pulls the Endeavour

Here's the story from AutoBlog, video below:
There are publicity stunts, and then there's using a Toyota Tundra to tow the 145-ton Space Shuttle Endeavour across interstate 405 in Los Angeles. That's exactly what happened Saturday night when Toyota lent a hand pulling the retired spacecraft over a bridge en route to the California Science Center. As it turned out, the Manchester Boulevard Bridge couldn't stand up to the weight of both the shuttle and the traditional tow vehicle, which sent organizers searching for something a little lighter to cover the five-minute drive across the bridge. As a 20-year sponsor of the science center, Toyota stepped in to help out.

The company developed a special tow dolly with Sarens Group, an engineering and heavy-lifting firm, just for the effort. A bone-stock 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 did the deed, though something tells us this little stunt greatly exceeded the machine's tow rating.

KCBRUIN 10-15-2012 02:19 PM

For those of you wondering how it stopped the trailer, here's a pic of the air compressor in the bed that was used to control the dolly's brakes.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...e6342eaac1.jpg

The guys at Jalopnik said it was on the up and up, and they were looking for any shenanigans that might be taking place. They spoke with Toyota engineers on how it was possible.
http://jalo.ps/I4egaW

StevenD 10-15-2012 02:22 PM

Ummm.... Im pretty sure thats just a weight for traction.

KCBRUIN 10-15-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenD (Post 913611)
Ummm.... Im pretty sure thats just a weight for traction.

Motor Trend said there was an air compressor there. It's their pic, didn't look like an air compressor to me. I looked at the tweet again, and someone commented on how it's a weight there, but MT didn't respond. I'm guessing there is an air compressor somewhere, and that's where they got the idea.