Post your Used Oil Analysis (UOA)!!! - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 375 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,468 Times in 2,143 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I go 10K on syth now.

08 RCSB B00STED
10 T4R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 375 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same here. It's good to know that our engines can handle oil changes at longer intervals.
I will still try to do it at around 5k miles but at least now I won't freakout if I go over that mark without oil changes. There's plenty of cushion there.
Thanks rockZ!
post #18 of 375 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
My UOA @ 25,000 miles (5,000 mile interval) performed by the dealership using Factory grade Toyota oil 5W/20. I suppose I'll stick with the factory oil until my Toyota Care service agreement expires. Nice having some peace of mind

-- ale

2010 Tundra CM 5.7L Platinum 4x4/King OEM/Camburg UCA/front sway bar delete/Revtek diff drop/Air Lift bags & compressor/Daystar cradle/Corsa Sport exhaust/WKO sliders/RW wheels/StopTech cryo rotors/Hawk LTS pads/Exp1 front & rear bumpers/PIAA 525/JW Speaker 6150 fogs/RIJon rocker panel
The Following User Says Thank You to aleaddict For This Useful Post:
BlackTundra52 (01-11-2013)

post #19 of 375 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,227 Times in 3,646 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Garage
I just requested my bottles. I'm going to start doing this for both vehicles and my twin engine jetboat.

I'm Ken and I approve this message -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<~~The Sarcasm is strong in this one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"
rac·ist ˈrāsəst/ noun 1. a person who is winning an argument with a liberal.
2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - A few upgrades.... (Sold 6-29-15)

post #20 of 375 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:27 AM

Garage
BDT --

I'm a little confused Your last reported UOA @ 4,794 miles was with Mobil 1 5W/20. Your first post stated that you were going to sample the Mobil 1 oil, change the filter and top off at the next 5,000 mile interval (10K miles total). When did you change to Amsoil SS? What made you change from running Mobil 1 to Amsoil SS over the last 5,000 miles?

I also want to send props to BDT and fosterelli...this is a great thread. I much prefer evidence based data over hype and/or branding. For those of you running factory Genuine Toyota 5W/20 (like me), you should be good for 5,000 miles between changes. My understanding of synthetics is to extend the miles between complete oil changes (hence, saving money while protecting the motor from excessive wear). My TBN @ 5,000 miles was 1.2. Even though my wear accumulation was normal, I had very little additive left in my oil (I did some mild towing during this interval). Based on this preliminary testing, I have yet to see any overwhelming evidence for using synthetics @ 5,000 intervals. YMMV...literally

-- ale

2010 Tundra CM 5.7L Platinum 4x4/King OEM/Camburg UCA/front sway bar delete/Revtek diff drop/Air Lift bags & compressor/Daystar cradle/Corsa Sport exhaust/WKO sliders/RW wheels/StopTech cryo rotors/Hawk LTS pads/Exp1 front & rear bumpers/PIAA 525/JW Speaker 6150 fogs/RIJon rocker panel
post #21 of 375 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Garage
Thanks, brother. I missed that part of the thread

Like many others, I will be very interested in your next UOA, this time using Amsol SS. I never gave much thought to motor oil before reading about UOA on TT. As a side note, you should have seen the look on the service writer's face when I asked him to save a sample of my used oil He was cool with it but obviously had never been asked before to save a sample of used motor oil by a customer.

To all TT members reading this thread, email Blackstone and request your sample kits now! It's only $35 for a UOA with TBN. Knowing that my TBN was only 1.2 @ 5,000 miles is important information, especially since I want to keep my truck for another decade or longer. I'll probably switch to one of the synthetics once my Toyota Care service agreement expires.

post #22 of 375 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hmmm... wonder what my 4.6 with 53k on it will look like... gonna request a kit for this.
post #23 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 AM

10K+ miles on Mobil 1 is no problem.
Check out RockZ's result.
post #24 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,968 Times in 1,451 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling THUNDRA View Post
10K+ miles on Mobil 1 is no problem.
Check out RockZ's result.
* for his engine.

The reason for uoa is for YOUR engine. Folks shouldn't rely on the fact that someone else with the same engine can get X number of miles out of their oil. They may have the same engine, but it's not the same engine.

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 -

Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
Tailgate remote lock/unlock/open, PDBHLM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danoh For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (07-13-2012), Xchewiz (02-21-2013)
post #25 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoh View Post
* for his engine.

The reason for uoa is for YOUR engine. Folks shouldn't rely on the fact that someone else with the same engine can get X number of miles out of their oil. They may have the same engine, but it's not the same engine.
Huh? Well Toyota makes the R&D on the same engine and makes the recommendation for that same engine used on 5.7L Tundra.
I would think if we both have the same healthy stock 5.7L engine from the factory, ran under similar condition, using the same oil will give the same result. I doubt if they test each individual engine and rate them as such; this one change oil at 3K, this at 5K, this at 7K.
post #26 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockZilla View Post
Huh? Well Toyota makes the R&D on the same engine and makes the recommendation for that same engine used on 5.7L Tundra.
I would think if we both have the same healthy stock 5.7L engine from the factory, ran under similar condition, using the same oil will give the same result. I doubt if they test each individual engine and rate them as such; this one change oil at 3K, this at 5K, this at 7K.
So you're telling me that each engine that they roll off the assembly line has the EXACT same tolerances?

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 -

Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
post #27 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Subscribed. This is some interesting stuff here. Good job guys

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #28 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoh View Post
So you're telling me that each engine that they roll off the assembly line has the EXACT same tolerances?
No engines has the same exact tolerances but they all must pass within acceptable specs (+/-). The difference I believe would be very small.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolling THUNDRA For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (07-14-2012)
post #29 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling THUNDRA View Post
No engines has the same exact tolerances but they all must pass within acceptable specs (+/-). The difference I believe would be very small.
My point! That could be the difference between 5k and 7k on your changes.

The point I'm trying to make is that people should rely on their own UOAs, not what someone else is getting. There's too many variables to rely on someone else's - tolerances, driving habits, climate, how many miles on the engine, mods, etc etc.

But hey, if people want to think they can get 10k miles out of their oil because someone else can get 10k miles, go for it. Just at least send in a UOA to confirm your guess.

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 -

The Following User Says Thank You to danoh For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (07-14-2012)
post #30 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,288 Times in 719 Posts
You should just give me your supercharger that way your engine will be less harsh on your oil and your foot won't be into the throttle as much extending your oil's life. That will be my contribution to your UOA.

Quote:
Nice truck Bri- looks lifted like Sams
2012 Black 5.7 CrewMax 4x4

BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #48
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (07-13-2012), Ogtoyfan (07-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.