Post your Used Oil Analysis (UOA)!!! - Page 11 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #151 (permalink)
"Bad Example"
Premium Member

Gameroom cash: $124054
Thanked 34,614 Times in 14,669 Posts
A lot of people bitch about the cartridge and I just don't get it. You can drain the oil out, then replace the filter, sans mess. The traditional twist on filters always make a mess for me...I twist them off, and sure as shit, spill some on myself. I love the cartridge system (first time dealing with it was on my tundra)

"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell." ~some bastard

Bad Dad's Camrys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
fosterelli (01-08-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
A lot of people bitch about the cartridge and I just don't get it. You can drain the oil out, then replace the filter, sans mess. The traditional twist on filters always make a mess for me...I twist them off, and sure as shit, spill some on myself. I love the cartridge system (first time dealing with it was on my tundra)
And I have heard that the cartridge style filters better too.
4.30, Tow & Cold Pkg
Rhino Lining, SS Step Bars, Debadged
Rubber Floor, German Castrol, all day
EZTundra77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #153 (permalink)

subscribing for GC results
my service contract is up so under the truck i go
i will be getting the valve with nipple
F-103N Valve (w/Nipple)
and sticking with the stock filter
now, i have not done a cartridge filter like the one on the TT
can you guys point me in the right direction for any special tools i may need?
i have 2K miles before my oil change, so i have a little time
i found the GC oil at a decent price on amazon
Castrol 06244 EDGE 0W-30 SPT Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart, (Pack of 6) : Amazon.com : Automotive Castrol 06244 EDGE 0W-30 SPT Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart, (Pack of 6) : Amazon.com : Automotive
is that the right one?
2wheelferrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #154 (permalink)
"Bad Example"
Premium Member

On the back of the bottle it will say "Made in Germany". That price is too much. Watch the auto zone sales. Every once in a while they will go on sale for 5 quarts for $30 and a free filter. They don't offer any toyota filters for free, so I pick out a filter that fits my wifes car.

I agree, stick with oem filters. I bought 10 oem filters off ebay for $45, which came with both orings, and the plastic drain tools. I think you have to pay extra for the orings normally, not sure. But for $4.50 per filter, its a deal. I ran a $20 Mobil 1 filter and didn't get any better results than I did with an oem filter.

It will be a while before I post a uoa on the GC, since I barely put 8k miles per year on my truck. I might do a uoa at 5k miles for s&g's, otherwise I might wait til 7500 miles.

Good job on the fumoto valve. Makes for an easier and less messy oil drain. Hook a tube up to it, open the valve, and walk away for a little while. Also makes for easy oil samples if you choose to get into uoa's.

"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell." ~some bastard

Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #155 (permalink)

i will keep an eye on the specials
i was leaning towards the amsoil as i use it on my bikes.
but am very curious as to how the GC performs against the amsoil.
am going to check on the filters on ebay. who knows i might get lucky too.
if no one has a result by the time i do my oil change i will get my oil tested.
i didn't get the wine bottle bit. would you be so kind as to elaborate on that?

thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #156 (permalink)
"Bad Example"
Premium Member

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/968188-post229.html

Last time I did an oil change, I was going to video the bottle procedure, but my wife was tied up (not literally). I figured wth, it's a pretty easy concept to grasp, once you can visualize it. Hope the above thread w/ pics helps.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #157 (permalink)

am going to check that out
thanks again

ok seen that
thanks
its a simple concept
just an extension to push the oil drain plastic in and keep oil from getting all over yourself

thanks again

Last edited by 2wheelferrum; 01-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2wheelferrum For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #158 (permalink)

Thanked 1,514 Times in 710 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. This was the first oil change I did where I used the wine bottle trick (put the plastic drain tool in the top of wine bottle and jam it up into the housing.) Absolutely no mess or drip at all. I was getting a little nervous when the wine bottle filled to about 3/4 of the way, but the oil stopped. Also attached a drain tube to the end of my fumoto valve and put the other end in my drain pan. Again, 100% mess free . Couldn't have done a better job myself
I put the Fumoto w/ tube on my new Ford during the first oil change...can't wait to use it for the first time in a few weeks! I have to say...why the hell did I never put one on all of my other rigs? Holy crap, it's going to be nice!

BTW, a guy on the Ford forum said he doesn't believe in Fumoto valves because "I'm afraid someone will tamper with it"...LOL. I replied, there's plenty of other shit under your truck if they want to mess with you. Shoot, I'd just crawl under there with a pair of dikes and start cutting every wire I could find!
SOLD: 2007 CrewMax Limited 5.7L 2WD
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fosterelli For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-08-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #159 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,371 Posts
Garage
1st change @ 8856 miles

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 - Black Tundra Club Member #137
Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
Tailgate remote lock/unlock/open, PDBHLM
danoh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danoh For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-17-2013), EZTundra77 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #160 (permalink)
"Bad Example"
Premium Member

What kind of oil? TBN looks low for 9k miles. Mobil 1 and Amsoil seem to have a higher TBN (around 3 or so if memory serves) on similar miles.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #161 (permalink)

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,461 Posts
Re: Post your Used Oil Analysis (UOA)!!!

Quote:
First time I dealt with the cartridge was on my 65 impala (still have it) I have no prob with. In my eyes if anybody is goin to change oil then it could get messy. I don't c y people r having issues with doin oil change either. What is the best way to a oil sample (container)?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
doubleds65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #162 (permalink)
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
What kind of oil? TBN looks low for 9k miles. Mobil 1 and Amsoil seem to have a higher TBN (around 3 or so if memory serves) on similar miles.
Factory oil. Got it changed at the dealership with whatever they use. They have mobil1 signage there, but it's probably Toyota bulk synthetic. After my Toyota care runs out, I'm using amsoil.

Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
The Following User Says Thank You to danoh For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoh View Post
Factory oil. Got it changed at the dealership with whatever they use. They have mobil1 signage there, but it's probably Toyota bulk synthetic. After my Toyota care runs out, I'm using amsoil.
One helpful bit I learned: the toyota care covers 5 or 6 (cant remember which) in the 1st two years. You get to choose the intervals. They don't tell you that outright. So you could use up your 5 or 6 changes every 3k miles since the synthetic bulk they use at the dealer is pretty much just group 3 stock with a decent add pack on it. I pay them 30 bucks extra to use Mobil 1 and I'm having them do it according to time, not mileage. I just took the free changes they offer and spaced them out evenly over the two years. It's a waste of good oil, but the oil is cheaper ($30- for 8 qts of M1 is fine by me) and the labor is free. Plus they do all the other maint. stuff at each visit as well. If you go by mileage, you probably wont use up you 5 visits in just 2 years.
4.30, Tow & Cold Pkg
Rhino Lining, SS Step Bars, Debadged
Rubber Floor, German Castrol, all day
EZTundra77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #164 (permalink)
Premium Member

Garage
Re: Post your Used Oil Analysis (UOA)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZTundra77 View Post
One helpful bit I learned: the toyota care covers 5 or 6 (cant remember which) in the 1st two years. You get to choose the intervals. They don't tell you that outright. So you could use up your 5 or 6 changes every 3k miles since the synthetic bulk they use at the dealer is pretty much just group 3 stock with a decent add pack on it. I pay them 30 bucks extra to use Mobil 1 and I'm having them do it according to time, not mileage. I just took the free changes they offer and spaced them out evenly over the two years. It's a waste of good oil, but the oil is cheaper ($30- for 8 qts of M1 is fine by me) and the labor is free. Plus they do all the other maint. stuff at each visit as well. If you go by mileage, you probably wont use up you 5 visits in just 2 years.
That documented somewhere so I can show it to the service dept? Because I know for sure they'll deny it. I wanted to get it changed at 5k miles but they said I would have to pay since it's only covered under Toyota care for every 10k

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #165 (permalink)
"Bad Example"
Premium Member

Damn! Your oil was pretty used up at 9k miles; and they wanna do it at 10k intervals only? I'm glad you posted your uoa, it gives other people an idea of how long that Toyota oil lasts. IMO, 10k miles would be pushing that oil. Probably wouldn't hurt anything, but they are definitely using that oil to its absolute last second of life. That's cuttin it close, IMO. I can't imagine what condition your oil would be in if you used your truck in "severe conditions", or whatever it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion