Post your Used Oil Analysis (UOA)!!! - Page 11 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Post your Used Oil Analysis (UOA)!!!

Yup

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyotayoda For This Useful Post:
reineduro (01-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reineduro View Post
my tundra is a FFV and I have heard that Toyota will change the oil in flex fuel cars and trucks after 5000 miles no matter if I you run e85 or not. Is this true?
From my previous post:
One helpful bit I learned: the toyota care covers 5 or 6 (cant remember which) in the 1st two years. You get to choose the intervals. They don't tell you that outright. So you could use up your 5 or 6 changes every 3k miles since the synthetic bulk they use at the dealer is pretty much just group 3 stock with a decent add pack on it. I pay them 30 bucks extra to use Mobil 1 and I'm having them do it according to time, not mileage. I just took the free changes they offer and spaced them out evenly over the two years. It's a waste of good oil, but the oil is cheaper ($30- for 8 qts of M1 is fine by me) and the labor is free. Plus they do all the other maint. stuff at each visit as well. If you go by mileage, you probably wont use up you 5 visits in just 2 years.

2014 TT TRD Crewmax Magnetic Grey
TRD True Duals & TRD CAI
EXTANG solid tri-fold Tonneau
Weather Tech Digital Floor Mats
4.30, Tow & Cold Pkg Mich. AT2

Just Sold: Super White 2011 DC
5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
post #153 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My recent UOA.

Here is my UOA on my 2011 Tundra.

Last edited by 2010; 02-20-2015 at 05:35 PM.
post #154 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppyzyna View Post
Here is my first UOA on my 2011 Tundra.
I couldn't find a TBN on your UOA. Does that cost extra? And you said it was your first oil change but Blackstone seems to think it's your second. Those iron and copper numbers seem high if it's your second change.

TRD True Duals & TRD CAI

5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
post #155 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Getting ready to do my first oil change. What sample size do I need to catch for Blackstone? I just ordered the collection kit but it won't arrive before I change it.
post #156 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,444 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Post your Used Oil Analysis (UOA)!!!

Take the sample from the middle of the drain too.

My kit came in the mail maybe 3 days after I requested it. If you can wait foe the kit, I would recommend it. It will lessen the chance of contamination between bottles. Oh and wash and dry the sample bottle before taking it. You need it to be as contaminate free as possible.

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 - Black Tundra Club Member #137
Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
Tailgate remote lock/unlock/open, PDBHLM

Last edited by danoh; 01-31-2013 at 11:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to danoh For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-31-2013)
post #157 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Used Oil Analysis UOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZTundra77 View Post
I couldn't find a TBN on your UOA. Does that cost extra? And you said it was your first oil change but Blackstone seems to think it's your second. Those iron and copper numbers seem high if it's your second change.
$10 more for the TBN which I will probably do next time. I had my oil changed soon after (5200 miles on oil) with the Toyota Synthetic 0W-20. This sample was from the second oil change. I agree that the iron and copper seem high, so I'll be watching that closely. Blackstone seems to think it will go down.
post #158 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,524 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Garage
I intended to go to 7500 miles but it went out to 8100. My next one will be in 10K miles.

I couldn't get the jpg to look decent so I just uploaded the pdf.

- I'm Ken and I approve this message -

2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - A couple upgrades....
Details in My Garage

Last edited by 2010; 02-20-2015 at 05:35 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Shasta For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (02-01-2013), danoh (02-01-2013), ppyzyna (02-01-2013)
post #159 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppyzyna View Post

$10 more for the TBN which I will probably do next time. I had my oil changed soon after (5200 miles on oil) with the Toyota Synthetic 0W-20. This sample was from the second oil change. I agree that the iron and copper seem high, so I'll be watching that closely. Blackstone seems to think it will go down.
I wouldn't spend the $10 on TBN unless I were trying to do extended intervals. For example, no use in doing a TBN at 5k interval as we all know there will still be life left...and I expect that is true for pretty much all oils. But, if you want to do extended drains then I think it is a mistake to get a UOA without TBN.

'08 5.7L DC Ltd. Silver Sky Metallic
Volant CAI
Bilstein 5100 on all corners
Coachbuilder's +2 shackles
Method Fat Five 20x9
Toyo Open Country M/T 33x12.5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daveownsjoo For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (02-05-2013), ppyzyna (02-05-2013)
post #160 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Z15

fyi

If only the copper is high, but no other metals such as lead, tin, or aluminum are elevated, it is mostly an oxide of copper from the oil cooler. As the oil cooler is exposed to the heat from the engine oil, it can sometimes oxidize the copper, which will show up in the analysis report. This is considered a normal condition and no corrective action is required. This process usually will taper off or stop occurring over time.

Fyi.............................
Per Caterpillar, high levels of copper found in oil analysis are a result of engine cooler core “leaching”. The zinc additive in diesel motor oils reacts with the copper cooler core tubes at high oil temperatures. This chemical reaction results in copper oxidation products forming on the surface of the tubes and then coming off into the oil as it washes over and around the tubes. Heat is a catalyst to this chemical reaction- the higher the oil temperature the greater the rate of oxidation and the longer the reaction process is sustained. This does not cause any damage to the cooler core, or to the engine. However, you will see the copper reading elevate to over 100 PPM. Copper is not a particulate in this case but is in solution in the oil. The PPM will start relatively low and increase over 100 PPM and stay at high levels for several intervals, and then return to normal. During the oxidation process, a hard film forms on the tube surfaces exhibiting the appearance of clear varnish. Changes in operating temperatures, and /or changing oil brands can chemically disrupt this film and begin the oxidative leaching processes again. This can occur in any system with a cooler core: Diesel or gasoline engines, Transmissions or Hydraulic systems.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z15 For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (02-06-2013), EZTundra77 (02-06-2013)
post #161 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15 View Post
fyi

If only the copper is high, but no other metals such as lead, tin, or aluminum are elevated, it is mostly an oxide of copper from the oil cooler. As the oil cooler is exposed to the heat from the engine oil, it can sometimes oxidize the copper, which will show up in the analysis report. This is considered a normal condition and no corrective action is required. This process usually will taper off or stop occurring over time.

Fyi.............................
Per Caterpillar, high levels of copper found in oil analysis are a result of engine cooler core “leaching”. The zinc additive in diesel motor oils reacts with the copper cooler core tubes at high oil temperatures. This chemical reaction results in copper oxidation products forming on the surface of the tubes and then coming off into the oil as it washes over and around the tubes. Heat is a catalyst to this chemical reaction- the higher the oil temperature the greater the rate of oxidation and the longer the reaction process is sustained. This does not cause any damage to the cooler core, or to the engine. However, you will see the copper reading elevate to over 100 PPM. Copper is not a particulate in this case but is in solution in the oil. The PPM will start relatively low and increase over 100 PPM and stay at high levels for several intervals, and then return to normal. During the oxidation process, a hard film forms on the tube surfaces exhibiting the appearance of clear varnish. Changes in operating temperatures, and /or changing oil brands can chemically disrupt this film and begin the oxidative leaching processes again. This can occur in any system with a cooler core: Diesel or gasoline engines, Transmissions or Hydraulic systems.
I'm going to have my cooler core dipped in nickel followed by a dip in platinum to be safe.

TRD True Duals & TRD CAI

5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
post #162 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Z15

Copper is used because its the best at heat transfer and it holds up to extreme temps.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Z15 For This Useful Post:
EZTundra77 (02-07-2013)
post #163 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15 View Post
Copper is used because its the best at heat transfer and it holds up to extreme temps.
Yeah, but can i get my new mouth grills made out of copper to match my oversized necklace that says "gangsta pimp"? See, it has to be functional.

TRD True Duals & TRD CAI

5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
post #164 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,444 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZTundra77 View Post
Yeah, but can i get my new mouth grills made out of copper to match my oversized necklace that says "gangsta pimp"? See, it has to be functional.
Only if you wear your pants around your knees at the same time

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 - Black Tundra Club Member #137
Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
Tailgate remote lock/unlock/open, PDBHLM
post #165 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Now thats funny!!!!

2012 Rock Warrior D/C 7" BDS lift, XD Cranks Matte blk. 20x9 0 offset, Toyo Open country M/T 35x12.50
tinted windows, Recon smoke led tails and 3rd brake, Bull bar plasti dipped black, Carbon delete,KN filter.
Bushwacker sport fender flares,Black window deflects.
Husky floor liners,Info button install,hypertech speedo
Extang tri-folding tonneu cover, BAMUFFLER 6 INCH.Custom punisher grill emblem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.