Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Line x Dealer nightmare!

21K views 64 replies 40 participants last post by  Unknownpharoah 
#1 ·
So I purchased a brand new 2012 DC last week. I paid for the Line X bed treatment from the dealer. This morning I drop it off after I completely washed the shining black truck. Fast forward to 10 hours later. I pick up the truck and the passenger side of my once shiny black truck looks like it was in a dust storm. The drivers side.. still shines. Upon further inspection it turns out the line x company oversprayed the entire side of my truck! If you rub the back of your finger across the vehicle it feels like sandpaper. Needless to say I wasn't happy. It sounds like the dealerships is going to have the truck professionally cleaned and polished. My question to the forum is... what is fair compensation for hammering the paint on a brand new 40k truck I have had less than 5 days? What should I do? I refused to take delivery of the truck in that condition. They gave me a rental car and said it would probably be a couple of days. C'mon forum, what would you ask for or do? Advice appreciated. :eek:

#4 ·
Ya, I would ask for a complete repaint, and wouldnt settle for less..this is a dealer choice line_x installer, it should be completely on them, and i find it hard to believe after a detail, You will be satisfied, but I hope Im wrong..
Best of Luck Pharoah

#6 ·
My mind sees nothing but scratches from them trying to buff that stuff off. Either a new, as in different, truck or custom paint job.

#15 · (Edited)
Oh boy! Another one eh? DEMAND a new truck or your entire truck repainted! I wouldnt settle for anything less. Believe me I went through it myself there is a 20 page thread around here somewhere full of all the drama I went through. After I spoke with a lawyer they offered me a new truck but I already lifted this one among other things so we ended up agreeing to a full repaint my choice of color, color matched EVERYTHING including chrome, linex bed and painted my fender flares. They had it over a month but it was WAY worth it in the end. Just stick to your guns. No matter what they tell you they cannot repair that if its as bad as "sandpaper feeling" to the touch. They will attempt to color sand it but as soon as the lineX dislodges itself from your paint it will gouge the shit out of your paint, it will never be the same.. Good luck.

Edit... In the end the dealership had to take the sign company to court to get their money back. Dont let them pawn you off on the company that did it its ultimately their responsibility. I cant believe they tried to give it back to you like that, wow.

#16 ·
I will probably be the only one to say this but i had a great experience with an awesome detailer/body shop. i took my truck where most jeeps won't go and gave it some pin striping from many many trees. my truck also wasn't brand spanking new with lines on the side and i chose to take my truck through that. my truck looks better than the day i bought it now and couldn't be happier. but for you my friend.....NEW TRUCK, LOADED PLATINUM.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#17 ·
well...

First, I have been gone and uber UBER busy, so im just reading as I find it...

Yea, being as I have owned more black vehicles than any other color, the likelihood that this will come out right is about as good as hitting the lotto.

Now, with that said, all you can do is see how it looks when it is supposed to be fixed.

if they do it correctly and remove all the line-x, emphasis on ALL, then either wax it by hand or leave it alone...
*if its really new it seems that the paint even tho it should be cured it isn't from what I have found with buying brand new vehicles and having issues when they are still brand new*

If they wheel it out it's gonna be ephed, may look good there, but go wash it immediately at home by hand with a non wax wash, just normal wash or dishsoap and then you will see how the paint itself is, the dishsoap will remove whatever top wax or glaze they used and show the paint itself, the paint which was all that was there when the line-x was applied...

#59 ·
yep very good advice here. I would wash it at the dealer though with the dish soap .

Reactions: riccnick
#18 ·
new truck no question about it especially with black paint and if it already feels like sandpaper, when they remove the line-x overspray, it will F up your clearcoat at least and the black paint will not last period. Don't believe in repainting an entire new truck either since brand new, get out of it and demand a new truck from dealer exactly like the one you have or what you want or just walk away period. Might have to get toyota corporate involved if dealer does not listen to your demands. I wouldn't take it back but I am very fussy and this would put me over the edge. good luck.

#19 ·
It sounds like they are going to try and make it go away by sending it to a "detail" shop to remove the line x with some sort of miracle solvent beacause "the line x will wipe right off the clear coat with no damage." this is the first line of defense. Ill keep you all posted. Thanks again for your stories and advice.

#20 ·
Do not accept it until 100% satisfied. Once you do it will be that much harder down the road if you notice anything wrong whether it be 2 days 2 weeks et just be super attentive to detail and have worse comes to worse get it documented saying if the "detailed fix" whatever doesnt hold up then you would request for it to be repainted or whatever. Best advice would be from the guy who got his truck repainted with that sexy lexus color (cant remember his name and am on my phone so its sifficult to go look for it)

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#22 ·
That is what I think too, our paint quality isn't the best and this dealer may hire a cut rate to fix it. It would be new truck, new paint job on the truck, or top of the line Line-X all the way around.

#24 · (Edited)
New truck. Period. You should not have to deal with some detailer having to molest your clear coat on a 5 day old 40,000 dollar truck due to the linex dealer's screw-up. Even trade, nothing changes, they take this one back and fix it and put it on the lot and sell it to someone else. You get a brand new one that is perfect and unmolested just like you paid for.

The overspray has happened before. Sometimes no matter how good a truck appears to be masked material can work its way under there and get on the paint. And people HAVE had luck with the clay bar. But it's typically not the whole side of the bed or the truck. If this were a few small areas I would say let them have at it and demand something on top of that like free accessories to compensate you for the issue. But if these goofs got the whole side of the truck someone really Fed up. Could be it can all be removed with a clay bar and some chemicals and it will look great again, could be some areas are too thick and it will never look right. The dealer doesn't lose much on giving the 2-300 dollar detail job a shot. They hope it works but it is not much lost if they have to pay for a repaint anyway. You are the one who loses out as you now have to spend your own time dealing with this. And you waste even more time without the truck if it comes out looking less than perfect and they need to move onto a plan B. And your already thin paint will get even thinner and I bet when you have fading and clear coat failure 5-6 years down the line they will act like they have nothing to do with it.

This should become their headache and not yours, let them get compensation from the linex dealer and then dispose of the truck from their used lot. If they are that confident that they can give you back a truck that will look just like it did when you took it in, then no huge amount of money should be lost if they fix it up then re-sell it at a slight mark-down.

#25 · (Edited)
If you paid for it through the dealer then the dealer hired the linex guy, not you...it is the dealers problem. That's how interpret this statement "I paid for the Line X bed treatment from the dealer"

Reactions: riccnick
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.