Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

How much horsepower and torque do I have?

17K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Vanswey 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 DC 5.7 with a TRD exhaust and a aFe stage 2 Si intake. Does anyone know a round about number of horsepower and torque I have?

#2 ·
381 hp @ 5600 rpm; 401 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm

#3 · (Edited)
LMFAO!!!

But seriously hes probably right. Only your 381hp/401lb may be achieved at a slightly different RPM after the mods. Sorry man, but toyota did a pretty good job with our intake and exhaust in stock form Ive learned from the absolutely ridiculous amount of research Ive done.

Id say at most you bolted on about 15hp best case scenario. Hey... at least it sounds badass right?

#5 · (Edited)
Exactly;) Youre peak numbers are probably very close to stock however you have more torque in a lower rpm range which is why you feel it. Thats the trick aftermarket companies tend to use often. Its very difficult to improve power across the board so they rob from upper where most people wouldnt notice it and give that power to the low end so you have more useable and noticeable power. Look up some dyno graphs of aftermarket exhaust and intake on the 5.7 and you'll see what I mean.

Better yet heres TRD exhaust dyno sheet after a couple attempts so this is best case scenario.

It shows a "Slight" increase over stock and dosent rob to give but most cheap exhaust looks kinda like this (maybe not so extreme but still the same idea)

(I know this dyno sheet isnt from a tundra, Im just trying to make the point clear)

#6 ·
Aftermarket intake will be much closer to the second dyno sheet than the trd exhaust that was properly engineered.

#14 ·
What I did and a little more to stop wasting time. Want a little gain of 5-15HP, try multiple add ons that may not give cumulative gain. Work on the bigger pic, and gains to go!!!!

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#8 · (Edited)
Yes, you could have as much as 10 or so extra hp and as much as 10 or so extra pounds of torque. It does not materialize out of thin air though. This is not on top of factory ratings. This is whatever extra out of that makes it to the rear wheels from the engine. But realize, when they take these measurements they are doing it in a strictly controlled environment designed to squeeze out a few extra ponies at the wheels when everything is optimized. This means on a dyno at high rpm, in the perfect gear, temperature controlled, hood up, maybe a little extra air blowing on the engine. What it usually means in my experience is that the vehicle will pull with a little more urgency if you floor it at highway speeds but that's about it. Not much use stoplight to stoplight.

And before you ask, no, the advertised rating on the box plus for the exhaust plus the advertised rating on the box for the intake won't equal the improvement you will see at the wheels. Just doesn't work that way. There are plenty of setups with both that still only have 5-10 extra hp.

#10 ·
All they will do is move the power curve a little. You lose some low end and gain a little high end.

#11 ·
most will gain in the upper rpm range, but you lose low end a lil...

all it does is shift where the power is.

for these trucks most cai's are not worth the $$, you can do a drop in and get about the same result.

alot of time the feel is the fact that the curve isn't as flat and has a higher peak...

in general tho most of the gains are at higher rpm than what is used typically every day.

it just is what it is.

if you really would like to know, get it dyno'd... we will all be interested in seeing what it is, however you do not have a baseline to go off of unless you find someone with a stock tundra with same gearing/tires to dyno on the same day...

#12 ·
600hp!!!!

#13 ·
That kind of HP takes a lot of performance stickers on the back window and bumper.

Reactions: SP and Mr. Creosote
#15 ·
could just give the truck a rubdown with K-Y... may not add power but will be soo slippery it will seem like a 200 shot of N2O

#17 ·
lol haaa

#18 ·
Thanks for all of the info but I wasn't really looking to add horsepower by upgraded a few parts. I bought a used truck with the upgraded TRD Exhaust and i needed a new air filter and was going to do a drop in but thought I would try CAI and see if I like it. I was just curious if there was a good guess about added hp. Im not sure what top end is because this thing flies to 100mph and it is a very noticeable difference compared to my friends stock 07 5.7. So I don't think I'm losing anything on the top end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.