Oil Change - Page 5 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
good deal, I will be very interested to see in 6 months how the Amsoil oil analysis turns out if an independent lab states 10K no problems between oil changes or not. Everyone I talk to states Amsoil is the best hands down and no problems going even above 10K intervals on oil changes, but we will see. I use Amsoil ONLY for my ATV taking 2 1/2 qts. and my Honda cycle taking 3.9 qts. since I only change oil on each of these at most once per year and with only putting on about 500 miles tops on my ATV, if that, the local Amsoil distributor states I am throwing money out the door and 2-3 years no problems on same Amsoil oil, but I worry about the oil filter paper elements lasting much more than 1 year. I like Amsoil and think it is great oil personally, but at 8-9 bucks per qt. with prices going up annually it seems, they are almost pricing themselves out of the market if you ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
I have had my truck for a year and only changed the oil 2x. I use AMSOIL as well, 5/20 every 5,000 miles. No issues so far. Won't use any other oil, either.
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a 2012 5.7 nonflex...and the dealer is only changing my oil every 10,000, but they do ask that I bring it in every 5k here is a screen shot of my service record so far

Screen shot 2013-03-08 at 8.32.17 PM.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedough1 View Post
Hey, just heard back from corp. toyota on 2012 oil changes which according to a 2012 owners manual still states 5K oil changes with NO mention of ow-20 synthetic now used in 2012 5.7L tundras. At first, they stated synthetic oil on 5.7L is 10K oil changes, now they say this which proves the schedule maint. guide on 2012 tundras is still every 5K:

Dear Mr. K...;

Thank you for your patience.

We have confirmed that the Flex Fuel Tundra and Sequoia should adhere to a 5,000-mile interval for oil changes (2,500 miles if using flex fuel more than half the time), though the vehicle uses synthetic oil. Our resources indicate that the ToyotaCare complimentary maintenance program will cover the cost of five synthetic oil changes.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us via email or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, and from 7 AM to 4 PM Saturday.

We have documented your comments at our National Headquarters.

Robert Browning
Toyota Customer Experience
Response (Rob Browning) 02/28/2012 09:39 AM
Dear Mr. K...;

Upon further review of the Scheduled Maintenance Guide (SMG), we recognize what you are calling attention to. While the default oil change interval for all engines using synthetic oil is 10,000 miles, the SMG refers back to a 5,000 mile interval if not using flex fuel more than half the operating time. What remains unclear is that the SMG does not appear to acknowledge or mention the use of synthetic oil.

We are making efforts to further research this. However, as it stands, we would be in a position to concur with the SMG as printed, following either a 5,000-mile or 2,500-mile interval.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us via email or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, and from 7 AM to 4 PM Saturday.

We have documented your comments at our National Headquarters.

Robert Browning
Toyota Customer Experience

2012 CrewMax 4x4 5.7 SR5 TRD Super White AKA GREAT WHITE
3" Front Ready Lift
275/70 18's BFG AT/KO on VTec Offroad Machined/Black
Smittybilt Nerfs
BAMufflers.com - Installed, Thanks Keith!
M1 Rear bumper
aFe CAI DryS w/ mod

Coming sooner than later (I hope)
TRD Sway Bar
Rock Deflector err bug

AZ Tundra Club Member #19
White Tundra Club Member #??

2006 Honda Civic
1968 Ford F100 Short Bed 4x4

Previous:
03 Tundra
91 Bronco 4wd EB
80 civic wagon
post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Oil Change

I am a user over at Bobistheoilguy and I cannot recommend enough for for you guys to over there and read the used oil analysis pages. One of the newest favorites is Quaker State Ultimate Durability or QSUD. It is a full synthetic and I get it at WMart for $21 for a 5qt jug. I have been running it in place of Mobil 1 and I cannot tell a difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
resurrecting old threads? Welp...you can certainly run the toyota oem filter longer than 8k miles. I just posted my uoa and it handled 10k miles no prob. pushing further. but that's not on M1 oil.

'08 5.7L DC Ltd. Silver Sky Metallic
Volant CAI
Bilstein 5100 on all corners
Coachbuilder's +2 shackles
Method Fat Five 20x9
Toyo Open Country M/T 33x12.5
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
I am a user over at Bobistheoilguy and I cannot recommend enough for for you guys to over there and read the used oil analysis pages. One of the newest favorites is Quaker State Ultimate Durability or QSUD. It is a full synthetic and I get it at WMart for $21 for a 5qt jug. I have been running it in place of Mobil 1 and I cannot tell a difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just curious, what would indicate a difference?

2012 Tundra CrewMax 4.6 V8 w/tow-package. A.R.E. Z Series

TWAC # 74
WTC # 74

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pas Bon For This Useful Post:
Daveownsjoo (03-09-2013), NordicMist (03-09-2013)
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pas bon View Post
just curious, what would indicate a difference?
lmao

2010 Black on Black 4x4 5.7l CrewMax.
5% Tint
Charcoal Filter Delete
Stock Muffler Dumped Before Rear Axle
Cutouts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.