Alignment shop broke tilt column, need help - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 16,857 Times in 6,318 Posts
Did you pay for this with a credit card?

Do you need me to call them?

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
OkSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
DukeNukem (01-17-2012), socal57chevy (01-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #32 (permalink)
"Bad Example"
Premium Member

Gameroom cash: $123909
Thanked 34,574 Times in 14,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
Did you pay for this with a credit card?

Do you need me to call them?
Ahh...didn't think about that! Good ol credit card dispute
99% of the time, all the time, if you have a valid reason for dispute (services rendered were not as promised is a good one), your cc company will refund you the money you spent. I try to pay for everything with cc. Just finished up one dispute with a bs seller (handhelditems.com) that effed me over. Got all my money back.

"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell." ~some bastard

Bad Dad's Camrys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
DukeNukem (01-18-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

I made an appointment with the dealer on Friday to get an estimate, and am getting ready to contact a lawyer to write a stern letter armed with the total cost. I honestly wanted them to replace the simple piece that broke, and nothing more.

Supposedly the shop is looking for the part, but has yet to get back to me. I did pay with my credit card, but am waiting on that to see if they find the part. Also, the website is riddled with BBB excellence awards so I think that may help as well.

Why is nothing ever simple?!
DukeNukem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #34 (permalink)

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,111 Posts
I would, if feasible based on the laws and procedures in your state and the costs involved, strongly consider mentioning in that letter that if they force you to take legal action you have every intention of issuing a subpoena or summons on every single employee who was working on the day that your truck got messed up. They will not be happy at the idea of having to pay all those people to go to court rather than fix cars.

Process servers typically charge anywhere from 35 to 100 dollars per subpoena but you could very well get a package deal if the guy will be able to find all these people in one place.
"Dude asked me why I bought a Toyota and not a Dodge. I said I used to drive a Dodge, until someone did me a favor and explained to me that the whole front suspension isn't normally supposed to be an annual maintenance item."

Last edited by eharri3; 01-17-2012 at 08:11 PM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (01-17-2012), DukeNukem (01-18-2012), socal57chevy (01-23-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

Garage
file the dispute with the CC now. One of my old CC companies had the form on the back of a bill. You can call and make the dispute, but it must be followed up in writing.

If they come through, call the cc back and tell them dispute is resolved. Worst case, it never is, and you at least recover that amount of money.
HyperTech Interceptor

13 4Runner Limited 4x4
Pearl White

09 Tundra TRD DC 4x4(sold)
08 Sequoia Limited(sold)
08 4Runner SR5(sold)
06 Sequoia Limited(sold)

Why yes, we do like Toyota....
Cruzrtwdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruzrtwdgt For This Useful Post:
DukeNukem (01-18-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

go to the media... have the news investigate on this and let everyone know what has happened. that's what i plan to do if AAMCO still refuses to work with me on my father in law's transmission charge and the power steering issue. i remember a news station did it on a gas station shop. They took in a car for spark plugs change knowing the last one close to the firewall will take a long time to replace and they marked the spark plug before bringing it in. 30 mins later, shop tech came out and said everything was done so the news crew came over with the camera and start taking out the spark plug.. voala.... it was not replaced and news crew started asking the shop how come it wasn't replaced..... now the whole area knew what kind shop it is. i am definitely going with this route plus the small court claim. don't give up. you shouldn't have to pay for other's f up with your hard earned money.

2010 RW DC 4WD w/ Towing / Supercharger / Doug Thorley LT / ARB winch bumper / Expedition Rear bumper / Truck Cover USA Roll Cover / Kenwood DNX9980HD / After market backup camera / MBRP Dual exhaust / Warn 16.5ti winch / OME lift w AAL / and more / ARB front/rear lockers
imcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imcougar For This Useful Post:
DukeNukem (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #37 (permalink)

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,111 Posts
Actually once you file a dispute it's no longer between you and the vendor. It's the credit card company's job to take up the issue. The balance stays on your card for hte time being but you are not responsible for paying it while the credit card company gets the vendor's side. IF it is settled in your favor, THEN they credit you the money back. Not a bad way to go in that this is no longer your fight. Provide your side of the story and your documentation to the credit card company and let them mediate.
"Dude asked me why I bought a Toyota and not a Dodge. I said I used to drive a Dodge, until someone did me a favor and explained to me that the whole front suspension isn't normally supposed to be an annual maintenance item."
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
DukeNukem (01-18-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #38 (permalink)

I just got off the phone with the shop, and have a small update. The shop is supposedly using a part finder in Greenland Arkansas and is actively looking for the part. I say this is a small update because maybe this means they are accepting responsibility. However, I really don't see why it would take a week to find the part. Heck, I've found several on eBay ranging from $150-550 (one of which is bound to have the part intact!).

I contacted a lawyer this week as well. The summary of what she said was that they almost positively broke it, but it would be impossible to prove without a shadow of a doubt. She also stated that any shop SHOULD replace it out of sheer possibility that they broke it. Also she pretty much echoed my life lesson in a previous post, that I should have had something written admitting AT LEAST partial fault, and that the truck was to be repaired.

I cannot stress how important the above is, and you should apply this to any sort of service in the future. Save the frustration and learn from me!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #39 (permalink)

Same thing happened to mine lady night....the guy was probably adjusting your steering wheel and pulled the lever to hard...I'm not sure how it happened bit while adjusting mine it just fell on my foot also...I'm assuming its the metal piece w/a plastic cover piece.....Toyota just told me its 550 because the only sell it as the one pice column shaft....
Zdizzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,367 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem View Post
I just got off the phone with the shop, and have a small update. The shop is supposedly using a part finder in Greenland Arkansas and is actively looking for the part. I say this is a small update because maybe this means they are accepting responsibility. However, I really don't see why it would take a week to find the part. Heck, I've found several on eBay ranging from $150-550 (one of which is bound to have the part intact!).

I contacted a lawyer this week as well. The summary of what she said was that they almost positively broke it, but it would be impossible to prove without a shadow of a doubt. She also stated that any shop SHOULD replace it out of sheer possibility that they broke it. Also she pretty much echoed my life lesson in a previous post, that I should have had something written admitting AT LEAST partial fault, and that the truck was to be repaired.

I cannot stress how important the above is, and you should apply this to any sort of service in the future. Save the frustration and learn from me!
You need a better lawyer bro because the one you spoke with is retarded. To win a civil suit, you only need to prove preponderance of the evidence, not "shadow of a doubt". "Shadow of a doubt" doesn't exist and is used by incompetent lawyers - the term is "beyond a reasonable doubt". Now, if you were planning on criminally charging them for damage to property or something, then you would need to prove your claim beyond a reasonable doubt.

Oh, and the BBB is a scam.

Black 2012 DC SR5 5.7 - Black Tundra Club Member #137
Westin Platinum Black Oval Nerf Bars, AVS In-Channel Rain Guards, Switched Backup Cam, DRL Delete,
Anytime Fogs Mod, LED Bed lighting, LED Underbody lighting, All interior/exterior LEDs, LEDGLow tailgate bar,
Black plastidip badges/grill/bumpers/wheels/overhead console, 5000K HID lows, 6000K HID fogs
Tailgate remote lock/unlock/open, PDBHLM
danoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #41 (permalink)

Also I'm by no means a guru and I'm attempting to fix mine today so far so good
Zdizzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #42 (permalink)

The fact that it "just fell onto his foot" while he was test driving it may be entirely true. HOWEVER, it most likely cracked/broke from him using the steering wheel as a grab handle as stated. It was probably held in by tension or just a snugly fitting shape, then when he started driving it wiggled loose and fell out. Just because it fell out during the test drive, doesn't mean it broke during a test drive. This is absolutely their fault and I would be letting them know that I would pursue any means necessary to have this problem made right.

As $h@ki said, you owe them nothing in this situation. If I've had multiple visits to a shop then that's more of a reason for them to make it right. They made me happy before, I returned to give them more business. Once they take advantage of that, it's all over. The more business I've given them in the passed, the more angry I'd be.
2012 DC 5.7L 4x4 Toytec 3/1.5 AAL, 295/70r18 Terra Grapplers, Tonnopro Tri-Fold cover, N-Fab cab length side steps, 20% tint with 9" strip of 5% on the windshield (which nicely hides a Federal Signal interior light bar), tow mirrors, Plasti-dipped factory wheels, CAI, Magnaflow 13148 XL muffler, Thule roof rack, Rockford Fosgate P3 10" subwoofer

FETC Member #38

Previous truck:2000 Tundra with a whole slew of mods
5.7Thundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,026 Posts
One year later.

(good read though)

2014 SR5 CM TRD 4x4 2.5/1 level, Fuel Maverick 18x9, 305 65R18 Falkens, TRD sway, Color matched Handles/Caps, Partial Debadge, Tinted.
Tundergas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tundergas For This Useful Post:
ponyuk (01-29-2013), riccnick (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #44 (permalink)

Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundergas View Post
One year later.

(good read though)

just waded through all this without realizing that this is a year old

No update, no resolution. This thread is as frustrating as the betamax player that ate my National Lampoon's Animal House movie . . .
ponyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ponyuk For This Useful Post:
TundraOnTheTundra (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #45 (permalink)

I wish I had an update....

Truthfully, I stopped trying after a few months of them running me around. Both the owner and shop manager are B.S. experts. My time is too valuable to sue them. A donor column can be had on eBay for around $150 shipped. I ended up taking the column apart, and tightening the bolt for the tilt, and it has held strong. Without a doubt, this shop broke the column. It saddens me to think that this company would lose a customer over such a small amount of money compared to what I have spent there, and will never do again.

Z, if you need a hand send me a message. I spent some time getting it back together, and running around looking for a comparable part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion