User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Fluid Check

On a 2011 5.7L, is there a way to check the fluid level myself without the Toyota check kit?
I found a DYI article on another site, but it still uses the Techstream to check temperature. Since I have a gauge on the dash, does anyone know where it corresponds to 115-133 F?

Last edited by bbrowncods; 07-30-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Thanked 1,033 Times in 578 Posts
Nope, kinda wierd I guess it keeps people from messing with the tranny fluid.

2011 DC 5.7 TRD SR5 4x4, black interior w/bucket power seats, Pyrite Mica, 3M paint protection, Running boards, backup camera and blue tooth, bug shield, Rugged Liner w/rail kit, window visors, power rear window, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit roll top w/utility racks, tailgate step, Yakima kayak racks and weather tech floor mats.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
On a 2011 5.7L, is there a way to check the fluid level myself without the Toyota check kit?
I found a DYI article on another site, but it still uses the Techstream to check temperature. Since I have a gauge on the dash, does anyone know where it corresponds to 115-133 F?
No worries bb. Toyota has you covered. Just follow the maint. schedual.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:09 PM

I have been messing with this a bit lately. I added an Autometer Trans temp gauge, but I can tell you that you can get to those temps in about 10 minutes of driving. You could also get an infrared thermometer, or install a strip gauge on the pan directly.

1996 SAS Tacoma sold
2007 Tundra RCSB 4x4 5.7
#6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swank501 View Post
I have been messing with this a bit lately. I added an Autometer Trans temp gauge, but I can tell you that you can get to those temps in about 10 minutes of driving. You could also get an infrared thermometer, or install a strip gauge on the pan directly.
Most auto problems are caused by the operator. Most of the time not following the maint. schedule. I pull lots of weight with my Tundra. If I used a domestic 1/2 ton I wouldn't attempt it, ecoboost or not. Its a quality issue. I was listening to the news and they(Detroit) said Chrysler's sales are up 30%, GM and Ford %5. VW is set to become the #1 auto maker....? Plus, the MSN home page is being taken over by the Detroit world. Adds that say, "The best autos for this and that."...all domestic autos. Not mentioning Toyota at all, is pretty smart!!!!! They claim the sales are up.....they are fooling only the people the read and watch the Detroit news. The economy is going to hit rock bottom......we will see who remains.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM

What is the maintenance schedule? I thought it was to change it at 100k miles. However, that seems excesive. I did call a local/very reputable transmission shop to inquire about a fluid change and was told that they have never worked on an 07' up Tundra transmission. I was surprised by this considering these trucks have been out for over 5 years.

Is everyone going to wait a full 100k miles?

2008 CrewMax 5.7, TRD, Supercharger, Dual exh, 12" lift w/ coilovers, 38" Toyo M/Ts, Procomp rims, backflip F1, Bushwacker flares, 4.88 gears, Auburn LSD, Total Caos UCAs, Readylift Steering, Rangers fan kit, Bully Dog GT Tuner

1997 Thor Residency - 37', 460ci, Tag Axle, 2 slides, Banks Power
2007 Chrysler 300C SRT8-AFE, Zoomers, Diablo
2004 Mustang Cobra-560 rwhp/510 rwtq
1995 Jeep Cherokee SE
1992 Corvette ZR-1-SLP, Magnaflow, chipped
1967 Camaro RS-327/4spd
1957 Chevy BelAir-350/4spd
#8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Thanked 1,138 Times in 538 Posts
I justed called the dealer yesterday, I was told the 100K+ mark as well. Strang but if thats what they say I am going to wait.

5.7 4X4 Double Cab
3.5" OME Full Lift, 305/60/18 ProComp Xtreme AT's, 18" MotoMetal's
Alpine Head Unit and PDX-5, Polk Audio Mobile Monitor 6x9's and 6.5's
12" Kenwood Excelon sub, K&N, Line-X, n-Fab steps, 55w DDM HID's
4 Hella 700ff's with 55w Raptor HID's, SmittyBilt Light Bar, Flomaster 50
#9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:43 PM

When I drained mine to work on the valvebody, it had 70K on it and the fluid was pretty dark. I have zero issues with my trans, but that was a bit unsettling.

i know they make it very difficult to work on these, but it is not impossible. Im not sure if i buy in to the whole exacting temperature for fluid check either. This is done to compensate for thermal expansion, but this isn't some magic formula that doubles in volume over the operating temperature cycle. Take this for what you will, but 10 minutes of normal driving from cold will get you where you need to be. i have done this twice on mine and my fluid levels are pretty spot on and i have zero issues. Have you followed the procedure on this? there is a PDF floating around somewhere on this site.

The only special tools you will need to do it proper will be a 24 mm socket or wrench and a hand pump to put the fluid in. I would dare to say the thermometer is optional. You may want to replace the metal gasket on the drain and check plugs, but it is not necessary.

1996 SAS Tacoma sold
2007 Tundra RCSB 4x4 5.7
#10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swank501 View Post
When I drained mine to work on the valvebody, it had 70K on it and the fluid was pretty dark. I have zero issues with my trans, but that was a bit unsettling.

i know they make it very difficult to work on these, but it is not impossible. Im not sure if i buy in to the whole exacting temperature for fluid check either. This is done to compensate for thermal expansion, but this isn't some magic formula that doubles in volume over the operating temperature cycle. Take this for what you will, but 10 minutes of normal driving from cold will get you where you need to be. i have done this twice on mine and my fluid levels are pretty spot on and i have zero issues. Have you followed the procedure on this? there is a PDF floating around somewhere on this site.

The only special tools you will need to do it proper will be a 24 mm socket or wrench and a hand pump to put the fluid in. I would dare to say the thermometer is optional. You may want to replace the metal gasket on the drain and check plugs, but it is not necessary.
Is there a level similar to the rear end? where there is a drain and a fill and once it start spilling out of the fill port you know it full? Just curious
#11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 PM

Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,033 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I've heard a few people say if the transmission isn't having any issues then don't tamper with the fluid at all. Changing the fluid from what I've heard will cause shifting problems and failures due to the new fluid will clean the internal parts which have already adjusted to the wear and the new fluid detergents will cause the internal parts to wear faster causing leaks, horrible shifting problems, and quick transmission failure.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,313 Times in 1,422 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
I've heard a few people say if the transmission isn't having any issues then don't tamper with the fluid at all. Changing the fluid from what I've heard will cause shifting problems and failures due to the new fluid will clean the internal parts which have already adjusted to the wear and the new fluid detergents will cause the internal parts to wear faster causing leaks, horrible shifting problems, and quick transmission failure.
There are two types of Tranny services.. "Flush and Fill" and "Drain and Fill".
Your description above is the FLush and Fill. They will use around 20 quarts to flush your system. I was quoted $340 for that. I got the safer "Drain and Fill where they just dropped the pan, and used around 4 quarts to fill it back up. They also had to temperature control it. It took them 4 hours.. Oh yeah.. $270.. I have 67K miles on a 07 CM 5.7L. It seems to be the same, but I know its fresher fluid in there..
#13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 AM

If you're lucky, ATF is good for about 30k. You can get a UOA to prove that. I've never seen an ATF UOA at 30k+ that showed good ATF. WS and T-IV were also nothing to brag about performance wise either.

I make a habit to drain/refill the ATF pan yearly. I have had no problem with checking the ATF level simply by using a temp gauge. Just make sure you have an open thermostat on the ATF cooler circuit(you can push it open with a small screwdriver and pin it open with a nail, allen wrench, or pin).

Preventive maintenance is a must for those of us that want to keep the vehicle longer than the warranty and payment book, and to some of us that tend to be abusive and use the truck AS A truck.

I'd love to see the statistical data that Toyota used to recommend that 100k service interval.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadrx7conv For This Useful Post:
EZTundra77 (11-12-2011)
#14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've drained enough long life WS Fluid transmissions to confidently say they need to inspected yearly. From 40k mile fluid that looked great, to fluid in the high teens that was dark and getting towards the end of its life, there are too many variables to say they all need to be serviced at whatever rediculous high mileage number is suggested. My local dealership has replaced a few transmissions under warranty where the fluid has failed and allowed the transmission to burn up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bjowett For This Useful Post:
EZTundra77 (11-12-2011), jbroas (11-12-2011), Remmy700P (11-13-2011)
#15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead rx7 conv View Post
If you're lucky, ATF is good for about 30k. You can get a UOA to prove that. I've never seen an ATF UOA at 30k+ that showed good ATF. WS and T-IV were also nothing to brag about performance wise either.

I make a habit to drain/refill the ATF pan yearly. I have had no problem with checking the ATF level simply by using a temp gauge. Just make sure you have an open thermostat on the ATF cooler circuit(you can push it open with a small screwdriver and pin it open with a nail, allen wrench, or pin).

Preventive maintenance is a must for those of us that want to keep the vehicle longer than the warranty and payment book, and to some of us that tend to be abusive and use the truck AS A truck.

I'd love to see the statistical data that Toyota used to recommend that 100k service interval.
Here we go again. First, the word "transmission" DOES NOT ever appear in the glovebox manual. The Toyota Technical Service Bulletins states, " WS fluid never needs to be replaced." Inspect at 100,000k intervals.Never mix WS with other fluids. A Service Manuel I received when I purchased the truck said, "@ 60,000 and 120,000k,"Driving while towing."Again, that's if the WS fluid is not in it, replace the tranny fluid. As stated, the WS fluid "NEVER" needs replacing. Some guys are just draining(4 or 5 qts) . Ok, the system holds around 11 quarts or so. Of course, if you call a Dealer they are more than happy to change the fluid. They make money ........I have questions nobody can answer. Some of the info you hear and read on the net is bogus. Why would a world class company like Toyota make claims that would hurt their rep?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tundraa For This Useful Post:
EZTundra77 (11-12-2011), PyroZuki (07-28-2013)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain