DIY Rear/Front Differential fluid change. - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: southern Cali
Posts: 674
Thanks: 104
Thanked 256 Times in 148 Posts
iTrader: (6)
DIY Rear/Front Differential fluid change.

I changed my differential fluid today. I decided to do a write up because someone asked me about it.

I purchased (4) 75-90 Royal Purple diff fluid from autozone for 18.99 a bottle. You can use another brand if you like. Refer to your owners manual for the correct fluid. The rear diff used approx 3 3/4 bottles. If you have a limited slip make sure the fluid used will work with a limited slip or purchase an additive and put this in first before filling.

You will need a 24mm socket and ratchet. My truck sits pretty high so I can easily fit underneath w/o lifting the vehicle. The truck must be level in order to properly fill the diffs to correct level. First break loose the bottom differential drain bolt loose and place a oil drain bucket underneath. Remove the drain bolt and make sure not to lose the washer attached. Make sure to clean the drain bolt with a rag to remove all the metal shavings attached to magnet. Then remove top fill bolt to allow the fluid drain faster.

After all the fluid has drained, reinstall the drain bolt and tighten. Don't forget to put the washer on. Cut the caps off the fluid bottles and fill the diff until fluid comes out. I usually let it pour out a bit and reinstall the fill bolt. Clean with some parts cleaner and your done. If you need a video for the rear diff pm me your email and I'll send you a video.

The last picture shown is the front diff. The upper bolt is the fill plug and the one below to left of my hand is the drain plug. You may need a pump to easily pump fluid in. The front diff is basically the same procedure above, but you will need an Allen socket. Be careful not to over tighten the front aluminum diff bolts because you can easily crack the housing.







Last edited by ichrisi88; 02-06-2011 at 05:35 AM.
ichrisi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ichrisi88 For This Useful Post:
4dailyrunner (10-18-2012), BlackTundra52 (09-10-2013), Casper 07 (03-03-2014), Chris G (02-05-2011), davidpick (11-15-2011), EBTundra (08-12-2013), FTJ (08-13-2012), MC360 (04-15-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Roadkill751 (11-22-2011), Usmc1968 (10-30-2011), UTC (10-08-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012), xtremelow (09-07-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Powertechn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MI - Michigan
Posts: 7,846
Thanks: 16,953
Thanked 7,717 Times in 3,734 Posts
iTrader: (0)
the only thing you forgot...

drive first to get it warm and any metallic debris or dirt/moisture mixed up, just like an oil change, or lovin, better when she's warm
__________________

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Powertechn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
EBTundra (08-12-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 106
Thanks: 3
Thanked 70 Times in 40 Posts
iTrader: (0)
The other thing I like to do is remove the fill plug first to make sure I can get it out before draining the fluid. Wouldn't want all that fluid drained out and not be able to get the full plug out.

Great write up though
Calbar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calbar For This Useful Post:
Casper 07 (03-03-2014), EBTundra (08-12-2013), FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), FirefighterCT (03-26-2012), MC360 (04-15-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), OkSlim (02-05-2011), plainsgrown (04-21-2012), Usmc1968 (10-30-2011), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member
 
OkSlim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tulsa,OK
Posts: 9,734
Thanks: 891
Thanked 16,834 Times in 6,308 Posts
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
The other thing I like to do is remove the fill plug first to make sure I can get it out before draining the fluid. Wouldn't want all that fluid drained out and not be able to get the full plug out.

Great write up though
Very good point. Happened to me one time. Socket broke before the plug broke loose.
__________________
The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken


2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
OkSlim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member
 
Toxarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cool, Texas
Posts: 12,196
Gameroom cash: $123976
Thanks: 2,357
Thanked 11,366 Times in 4,572 Posts
iTrader: (1)
That's some dark fluid coming out the rear diff. How many miles did you have on the truck? I lift the driver's side of the axle to get the little bit of fluid in the bottom of the pumpkin out. You forgot to add the torque specs for the bolts. Also, the transfer case uses the same oil so you can change it at the same time. You will need a pump or long hose to do the front diff and the transfer case.

7.4 quarts total for my 4x4 truck.
Torque specs:
Front differential: 29 ft/lb
Transfer case: 27 ft/lb
rear differential: 36 ft/lb
__________________

All mod descriptions and pictures 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
Toxarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
EBTundra (08-12-2013), FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), OkSlim (01-15-2012), Sylverbullit (07-02-2013), UTC (10-08-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012), yeebvaaj (09-20-2013)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: southern Cali
Posts: 674
Thanks: 104
Thanked 256 Times in 148 Posts
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post
That's some dark fluid coming out the rear diff. How many miles did you have on the truck? I lift the driver's side of the axle to get the little bit of fluid in the bottom of the pumpkin out. You forgot to add the torque specs for the bolts. Also, the transfer case uses the same oil so you can change it at the same time. You will need a pump or long hose to do the front diff and the transfer case.

7.4 quarts total for my 4x4 truck.
Torque specs:
Front differential: 29 ft/lb
Transfer case: 27 ft/lb
rear differential: 36 ft/lb
My truck only has 17k miles. Thanks for adding things i forgot especially the torque specs. The transfer case is the same process also.
ichrisi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ichrisi88 For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
TundraRW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisi88 View Post
I changed my differential fluid today. I decided to do a write up because someone asked me about it.

I purchased (4) 75-90 Royal Purple diff fluid from autozone for 18.99 a bottle. You can use another brand if you like. Refer to your owners manual for the correct fluid. The rear diff used approx 3 3/4 bottles. If you have a limited slip make sure the fluid used will work with a limited slip or purchase an additive and put this in first before filling.

You will need a 24mm socket and ratchet. My truck sits pretty high so I can easily fit underneath w/o lifting the vehicle. The truck must be level in order to properly fill the diffs to correct level. First break loose the bottom differential drain bolt loose and place a oil drain bucket underneath. Remove the drain bolt and make sure not to lose the washer attached. Make sure to clean the drain bolt with a rag to remove all the metal shavings attached to magnet. Then remove top fill bolt to allow the fluid drain faster.

After all the fluid has drained, reinstall the drain bolt and tighten. Don't forget to put the washer on. Cut the caps off the fluid bottles and fill the diff until fluid comes out. I usually let it pour out a bit and reinstall the fill bolt. Clean with some parts cleaner and your done. If you need a video for the rear diff pm me your email and I'll send you a video.

The last picture shown is the front diff. The upper bolt is the fill plug and the one below to left of my hand is the drain plug. You may need a pump to easily pump fluid in. The front diff is basically the same procedure above, but you will need an Allen socket. Be careful not to over tighten the front aluminum diff bolts because you can easily crack the housing.
ichrisi88, when is the first recommended oil change for front/rear diff?
TundraRW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TundraRW For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 74
Thanks: 29
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post
That's some dark fluid coming out the rear diff. How many miles did you have on the truck? I lift the driver's side of the axle to get the little bit of fluid in the bottom of the pumpkin out. You forgot to add the torque specs for the bolts. Also, the transfer case uses the same oil so you can change it at the same time. You will need a pump or long hose to do the front diff and the transfer case.

7.4 quarts total for my 4x4 truck.
Torque specs:
Front differential: 29 ft/lb
Transfer case: 27 ft/lb
rear differential: 36 ft/lb
Toxarch: how often do you change your front/rear diff and transfer case oil? I know what the manual says but I didn't know if you did things less/more than the manual says
__________________
2011 Black Double Cab SR5 4x4 5.7
Current Mods:
Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
Carbon Filter Delete
K&N Drop-In Filter
WeatherTech Floor Liners
CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
Seat Belt Chime Disabled
5% Tint
Westin Step Tubes
Rear Diff Breather Mod
35W 5000K DDM HID's
TRD Rear Sway Bar
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: southern Cali
Posts: 674
Thanks: 104
Thanked 256 Times in 148 Posts
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraRW View Post
ichrisi88, when is the first recommended oil change for front/rear diff?
I believe the manual says around 15k if you are towing. At the dealership we used to changed them every 30k.(transfer case,front/rear diff)
__________________
2010 Tundra 5.7 CM Rockwarrior 4X4
ichrisi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ichrisi88 For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), red (08-12-2013), TundraRW (02-07-2011), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member
 
Toxarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cool, Texas
Posts: 12,196
Gameroom cash: $123976
Thanks: 2,357
Thanked 11,366 Times in 4,572 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Dealer did it at 15K, supposedly. I changed just before 30K and put in Mobil 1. Probably do at least the rear again at 45K. Maybe all 3 depending on how the rear oil looks. It's not too expensive.
__________________

All mod descriptions and pictures 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
Toxarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
Chris G (02-07-2011), FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 74
Thanks: 29
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
iTrader: (0)
So the rear diff holds 3 3/4 of the gear oil bottles. How many do the front diff and transfer case hold?
__________________
2011 Black Double Cab SR5 4x4 5.7
Current Mods:
Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
Carbon Filter Delete
K&N Drop-In Filter
WeatherTech Floor Liners
CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
Seat Belt Chime Disabled
5% Tint
Westin Step Tubes
Rear Diff Breather Mod
35W 5000K DDM HID's
TRD Rear Sway Bar
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
fpdsniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 192
Thanks: 13
Thanked 70 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader: (0)
subscribed
__________________
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD w/5.7

Mods:

Bed Rug, Undercover SE hard tonneau cover, Readylift Level Kit, Sony BT3900U Blue Tooth Head Unit, Pioneer 6x9's in the front doors, Weathertech floor liners, Goodyear Duratrac 295/65/18 tires on MB Chaos Wheels, HID Foglights, Stainless Hunter Bull bar.

"Why a .308? Because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them."
fpdsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpdsniper For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member
 
Toxarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cool, Texas
Posts: 12,196
Gameroom cash: $123976
Thanks: 2,357
Thanked 11,366 Times in 4,572 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
So the rear diff holds 3 3/4 of the gear oil bottles. How many do the front diff and transfer case hold?
07 Tundra CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........7.4 quarts [1]
Cooling System, With Tow Package Initial Fill..........13.8 quarts
Cooling System, Without Tow Package Initial Fill..........12.8 quarts
Automatic Transmission, AB60F Initial Fill..........3.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, A750E Initial Fill..........3.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, A750F Initial Fill..........3.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, AB60E Initial Fill..........3.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed A750E..........11 quarts
5 speed A750F..........11 quarts
6 speed AB60E..........11 quarts
6 speed AB60F..........11 quarts
Differential, Front..........4.5 pints
Differential, Crew cab 2WD Rear..........7.9 pints
Differential, Crew cab 4WD Rear..........7.7 pints
Differential, Double cab Lon Rear..........7.9 pints
Differential, Double cab std Rear..........7.7 pints
Differential, Regcab Long bed Rear..........7.7 pints
Differential, Regcab std bed Rear..........7.2 pints
Transfer Case, ..........2.4 pints



Converting pints to quarts means 7.4 quarts total for my 4x4 truck's diffs and transfer case. Why is there a difference in 2WD and 4WD and long/short bed? I have no clue. I pulled those off of Toyota's manual. Just fill till it's full, drive it a bit, and then check it again to make sure it's full.

Just an FYI, newer 5.7L engines take an extra half quart of oil in the engine.
__________________

All mod descriptions and pictures 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
Toxarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
davidpick (11-15-2011), FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), joeycrane (03-02-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Powertechn2 (02-10-2011), re.ac.tor (10-29-2011), SP (09-04-2011), Sylverbullit (07-02-2013), UTC (10-08-2012)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Powertechn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MI - Michigan
Posts: 7,846
Thanks: 16,953
Thanked 7,717 Times in 3,734 Posts
iTrader: (0)
thx.


and to those that just wanna do front diff and tcase at same time for the helluvit,
i changed last vehicle at 18-20k, it was an fj... diff was darkish, tcase was new lookin, and front diff was also near new lookiin...


after than i planned on changing the rear diff at 40ish k, the tcase woulda been good til at least 60-80k, same with the front diff imo, also when i first changed i switched to royal purple..

if at 20 its like new, then at 40 after changing and switching to synthetic, it would still be like new, so i figured it would last double easily, maybe double plus...

jus my figuring, i dont have to use 4x4 much and i dont offroad or crawl much.
__________________

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Powertechn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
2hot4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I think the 24mm drain plug is the same as a 15/16'' socket. Can you tell me what the fill plug size is? Thanks for the great write-up!
__________________
2hot4U is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2hot4U For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (08-17-2013), Ogtoyfan (01-01-2012), UTC (10-08-2012), Vettelover84 (09-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright 2006-2009, TundraTalk.net. All Rights Reserved.