Weird jerk after stop - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine does it too.. but so did my Titan, and my Chevy lol.

Just about all leaf sprung automatics do it. Its a combination of the tranny dropping into first, and a little bit of axle wrap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:48 PM

My 2008 Tundra with only 11k takes too long to go from Reverse to Forward, back out of the driveway into the street and need to move fast and 2 second lag before it goes into gear. At cold start the engine roars to life with almost 1500 rpm. Don't tell me that is correct either. Everyone says it normal and get used to it. My throttle is also very over responsive and not smooth. I am not happy with how it performs at all. I also get to a stop and roll thru at 1 or 2 mph and get that high rev when I take off. Like the trans is old and worn out and slow to downshift. 1st gear should not be so low that it does that. The Gear selector drops so fast that I miss reverse and go to neutral or farther. Miss Drive and go to low. Like there are to tabs to engage it. Where can I find a list of TSB's so I can go over them and get all this repaired? I am sure the dealer will not volunteer to do it unless I bring it to them. I do not use the truck a lot and it will be out of warrenty time long before the mileage runs out and I will be stuck with all the repair bills that normally would be covered under the warrenty. Thanks Bill
#18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM

my 05 did it. my 06 did it. my 07 does it. i think its just a tundra thing.
#19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:52 AM
"The General"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill P View Post
My 2008 Tundra with only 11k takes too long to go from Reverse to Forward, back out of the driveway into the street and need to move fast and 2 second lag before it goes into gear. At cold start the engine roars to life with almost 1500 rpm. Don't tell me that is correct either. Everyone says it normal and get used to it. My throttle is also very over responsive and not smooth. I am not happy with how it performs at all. I also get to a stop and roll thru at 1 or 2 mph and get that high rev when I take off. Like the trans is old and worn out and slow to downshift. 1st gear should not be so low that it does that. The Gear selector drops so fast that I miss reverse and go to neutral or farther. Miss Drive and go to low. Like there are to tabs to engage it. Where can I find a list of TSB's so I can go over them and get all this repaired? I am sure the dealer will not volunteer to do it unless I bring it to them. I do not use the truck a lot and it will be out of warrenty time long before the mileage runs out and I will be stuck with all the repair bills that normally would be covered under the warrenty. Thanks Bill
Ok, but....

Last edited by clark123456; 12-31-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: typo
#20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Oct 2009 ToTM Winner

Garage
My 2010 is jumpy at start up for the throttle, but gear shifting is nuts on...

Unguided Missile Member #1
2010 DC, King and Deaver for the speed bumps
#21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM

i have this tiny little bump, you can feel it in the brake pedal, like right after you stop if you let the brake off it does it or if you are dead stopped and hit the gas, i thought maybe the spare tire was loose and was bumping around a little bit but i checked it and it was very snug

2007 Crewmax Limited 4x4, Super White, 285/65R20 BFG all-terrains, Line-X Premium, LRO 3/1
1995 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 lifted and bfg all terrains
#22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM

A tiny bump you feel could be fuel moving forward and back in the fuel tank. I had a van that you would feel doing that at about 1/2 a tank of fuel while stopped at a light. When full it would not do it. Even with baffles the liquid still moves. Bill
#23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushin View Post
i have this tiny little bump, you can feel it in the brake pedal, like right after you stop if you let the brake off it does it or if you are dead stopped and hit the gas, i thought maybe the spare tire was loose and was bumping around a little bit but i checked it and it was very snug
Blushin, I can feel the same thing you are talking about. In high school I had an old 1989 Bronco II that did the same thing every time I would take off or come to a stop. I finally got tired of it and took it to a mechanic. He said it was a bad U-joint. He replaced it and I never felt that bump again. It feels like the exact same bump I have in my brand new 2011 Tundra. I have less than 3,000 miles on the truck.

2011 Black Double Cab SR5 4x4 5.7
Current Mods:
Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
Carbon Filter Delete
K&N Drop-In Filter
WeatherTech Floor Liners
CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
Seat Belt Chime Disabled
5% Tint
Westin Step Tubes
Rear Diff Breather Mod
35W 5000K DDM HID's
TRD Rear Sway Bar
#24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM

yeh it does it sometime but not all the time, its not like a bad feeling dont get me wrong, its no crazy jerk or anything , just feels like when you come to a complete stop, if you take your foot off the brake for a second it feels like something is releasing. sometimes i notice it and sometimes i dont, my truck has 45k on it right now

2007 Crewmax Limited 4x4, Super White, 285/65R20 BFG all-terrains, Line-X Premium, LRO 3/1
#25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Yeah I know what you mean but it annoys me. It doesn't feel like it should be there to me.

2011 Black Double Cab SR5 4x4 5.7
Current Mods:
Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
Carbon Filter Delete
K&N Drop-In Filter
WeatherTech Floor Liners
CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
Seat Belt Chime Disabled
5% Tint
Westin Step Tubes
Rear Diff Breather Mod
35W 5000K DDM HID's
TRD Rear Sway Bar
#26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM

yeh me either, i just bought my truck about a month ago, and it was certified and everything so im sure its fine, might have the mechanics at my dads dealership take a look at it when i go in for my next oil change

#27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM

I am not sure why Toyota puts such a low gear ratio in the rear end and does not offer any option. Mileage is bad enough without having a 4:30:1 ratio and would improve if a 3:75:1 was an option, Towing limits would be lower though. If a low first gear and diff ratio is a factor that contributes to the lurching forward. I do have faith in Toyota and was tired of too many early repairs on my previous truck a Dodge 2500. Also I do not like the fact that the trans is sealed and you cannot check the fluid level or condition. I like to keep my fluids checked. Bill
#28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM

hey so heres an update for you all, my dad has worked for Lexus for the past 18 years. Last night i had a conversation with his Lexus corporate representative, who is actually one of my dads close friends, he told me that they have the same issue on the Lexus GX suv. he said it has to do with the drive shaft loading up, its normal on all these trucks, also i asked about the sealed trans and he said they did that so you wouldnt have to worry about fuel levels, trans and diff fluid is supposed to be changed every 30k.

#29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i took my truck in for a tsb/ ecm udate for my 4.6.

guy said theres no fix for the bump.

so dumb

To much to list basic stuff
7" BDS Powdercoated Candy Teal
3" Body
37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
22x12 Rockstar 2's Custom painted Teal Star White Clips
PLENTY of Rigid LEDs
SoCal Super Trucks 50" Roof Mount
Driven from Houston, Texas to Las Vegas and back for SEMA 2013
#30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
It also doesn't hurt to grease the zirks in front and back every so often like I'm guessing at least once every 10-20K. That seems to help a little of the driveline clunk at a stop when letting off the brake and lightly stepping on the gas going away from a dead stop, the tranny would hesitate and take off/lurch forward not smoothly.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain