User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sea Foam

Anyone on here ever use Sea Foam through the brake booster vacuum line?

I did it today to my truck, and no improvements yet. Although, I understand it does take a little bit to work all of the cleaner out of it.

Nothing special. Yet...

2008 Black Double Cab, 5.7L, 4*4, SR5, bed liner and step rails

Black Tundra Club Member #19
The Following User Says Thank You to smmiller506 For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (08-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,083 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I've read hours of conversation on other sites about Sea Foam and they talked about using it for a intake cleaner, gas additive, used it in the oil and maybe even for washing the darn vehicle. I've concluded that it must be snake oil because it does everything.

Nobody ever answered why they used the product, much less had a before and after dyno print out to show that something actually happened.

It would be cheaper and might work better to introduce water into the cylinders and let the steam clean out the carbon. I've done that for years, but because I'm lazy I'd rather use a bottle of Amsoil P.I. in the gas tank three or four times a year.

I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.

2006 Tundra replaced a
98 Dakota 3.9 automatic, long bed.
Retired with broken A/C, July 2008.
623,000 miles.
On original engine and transmission.

+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Last edited by shatto; 05-02-2010 at 03:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shatto For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (08-23-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 PM

I do it every 30k on all of my vehicles. I don't get much improvement on my two new vehicles because I've been doing it regularly, but when I had my Dodge I had 70k on it before I did the Seafoam. Before the Seafoam I use to have a jumpy idle and sometimes it would just die for no reason. After the Seafoam it never did it again and the idle leveled out.

2008 Tundra Double Cab 4x2 5.7 V8
Amsoil fluids throughout - K&N drop-in air filter with charcoal filter delete - True dual 2.5" to Hooker muffler w/ single 3" out - Magnaflow 2.5" x-pipe - PSC 1 Split Second tuner - Doug Thorley long tube headers

1/4- 14.06@96.25
1/8th- 8.98@77.67
The Following User Says Thank You to trackaddictedtundra For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (08-23-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:05 AM

WHY?

I never get into a battle of wits with somone who is unarmed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlcrss For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (08-23-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcrss View Post
WHY?
LOL! Because I've heard of it working quite well at cleaning out the engine. And how can you really, truly know if it works or not unless you've tried it yourself? Just because it sounds bad or stupid, doesn't mean that it actually is...

Nothing special. Yet...

The Following User Says Thank You to smmiller506 For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (08-23-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmiller506 View Post
LOL! Because I've heard of it working quite well at cleaning out the engine. And how can you really, truly know if it works or not unless you've tried it yourself? Just because it sounds bad or stupid, doesn't mean that it actually is...
Sorry not trying to mock you. However I paid way too much for my truck to experiment on it. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

I never get into a battle of wits with somone who is unarmed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlcrss For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (08-23-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 AM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,186 Times in 5,018 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Dad had a BMW 740iL that had an oxygen sensor code and some other code. Mechanic said it was a bad catalytic converter and suggested I try the Sea Foam before shelling out the cash for new cats. So I ran 1/2 a can of Sea Foam through the vacuum lines. It cleaned out the system and didn't get anymore codes after that. Though it might have cleaned out the cats a little too much cause something came loose inside them and the cats had a buzzing noise.

I've used it in the fuel on my motorcycle and 4 wheeler when the carbs started getting clogged up. I've also added it to the fuel in those during the winter as a fuel treatment. It works like a fuel stabilizer to keep the water from separating and protects the fuel lines from corroding from any ethanol in the fuel.

I mostly just use it when needed. Never ran it in the oil. It's just supposed to be done right before an oil change if you have some carbon build-up. It does work really good and in my experience, it's definitely not snake oil.

That said, do I run it in my Tundra? No, haven't seen the need to yet.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
SP (08-24-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

I ran it through a tank of gas and saw a 2mpg improvement. I also use the cheapest gas I can find.

Member Banned for Life Club

* 2008 Crewmax Limited * 18" Ultra Mammoths * 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers * Top Gun Customz Leveling Kit * PIAA Backup lights * Roadmaster Suspension * Tow Mirrors *
#9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
I ran the Seafoam through the gas tank first and felt an actual improvement. Ran it through the vacuum lines and didn't get anything back really. To be honest, I think it ran a little weaker than normal for about 30-40 miles. I didn't get any codes or any lights like a lot of people might.

I suppose I'd have to say don't run it through the vacuum lines. Nothing bad will happen if you do, but nothing good either. Through the gas tank seems like the best way. And I won't do the oil crankcase way either. Very little return with that method. On a diesel though, all three ways are great from what I've heard.

Nothing special. Yet...

#10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmiller506 View Post
I ran the Seafoam through the gas tank first and felt an actual improvement. Ran it through the vacuum lines and didn't get anything back really. To be honest, I think it ran a little weaker than normal for about 30-40 miles. I didn't get any codes or any lights like a lot of people might.

I suppose I'd have to say don't run it through the vacuum lines. Nothing bad will happen if you do, but nothing good either. Through the gas tank seems like the best way. And I won't do the oil crankcase way either. Very little return with that method. On a diesel though, all three ways are great from what I've heard.
Did you use the whole can? My cousin used sea foam and kept insisting me too use it in my tundra but feel sketchy...when he did it to his car the exhaust started smoking for about 15-20mins i guess its all the bad stuff... did this happen to you when you did it?

#11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,118 Times in 617 Posts
I've never heard of Sea Foam, what is it? Sorry for asking, but just don't know what this product is.

Thanks In Advance.....

'07 - SR5, 5.7, 4x4, Tow and Cold Weather Pkg
18" Fuel Boosts +25mm, Toyo OC MT's 285/75/18, BMM
Coachbuilder1's 2" Shackles, Icon C/O's and rear shocks
Camburg UNI-Ball UCA's, TRD OE fogs, TRD RSWB
HomeLink Compass Mirror, Line-X, 120v/1000W Power Inverter
WTCM #32
#12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPeR4MnCxX View Post
Did you use the whole can? My cousin used sea foam and kept insisting me too use it in my tundra but feel sketchy...when he did it to his car the exhaust started smoking for about 15-20mins i guess its all the bad stuff... did this happen to you when you did it?

yes, this is normal, I've done it on my Celica with a how to, and my car ran much smoother, and scored lower on smog checks, when done prior, obviously. it's not the entire can though, it has directions, too much can ruin components, and parts, even engines. I suggest read instructions thouroughly before using.

07 3UR-FE DVVT-i / USK52 ( AKA: Scary Fast )

-FJ Cruiser running boards -White turn signals -Truck Covers USA Roll cover -Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65R18 -TRD Sway bar

02 Celica
91 MR2 T-Top (Clutch Job 44%)
08 GMC Sierra SLE (Numerous Issues)
#13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
You only use about 1/3 of a can through the vacuum line, and the Tundra has good vacuum on it, so it'll suck up a 1/3 in about 5 or 10 seconds.

Seafoam is a petroleum based cleaner designed to work on pretty much any gasoline or diesel, two or four stroke, land or marine based engine designed. The main ways it is used in the engine by dumping the entire can in the fuel tank, using about a third of a can through a vacuum line, or about a third of a can through the oil fill port into the crankcase about 30 miles prior to an oil change.

On my Tundra, it shot a small puff of white smoke right at start-up, and at idle, there was nothing. As you start getting into the gas, more smoke will come out. It's not a bad product, and if you feel uneasy about the vacuum line, I would still recommend pouring a whole can in about half a tank of gas. It's designed to work with about 8 to 25 gallons of fuel, so 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel is perfect. And then drive as you normally would.

Nothing special. Yet...

#14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 AM

I think im going to pick up a can this weekend. I dont see why it wouldnt be worth putting a can in the gas tank, getting a possible increase in gas mileage, and cleaning it out a bit.

2008 DC 5.7L 4X4

Stock until November 2013!
#15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Yep, 16 oz. can of seafoam in the gas tank a full 16 oz. can for about 10 gallons of gas does good. Never done the oil crankcase right before oil change or vacuum lines but wouldn't do either since in my opinion not needed on the tundra and if so, certainly no more than 1/2 can or so. I run several cans of seafoam every year on my ATVS and Honda Valkyrie Interstate that has 6 carbs and 6.9 gallon tank. It sure helps run the gunk out of the tank and fuel lines and cleans the carb buildup. Never heard of a bad thing happening by using a full 16oz. can of seafoam even in the cycle's 6.9 gallon tank, although I wouldn't do it every tankful. I usually run thru cycle a 1/2 can (8 oz.) every 3-5th tank of gas and if still acting up, dump a full 16 oz. can in a full 6.9 gallon tank - it will not hurt a thing. However, the tundra is fuel injected and certainly no 6 carbs and even though buildup of gunk can happen, seafoam is not needed as much I would think unless your tundra has higher mileage or sits around a lot not being driven with bad gas in the tank. Seafoam can be bought at farm and fleet, fleet farm, and menards as well as most autoparts stores for a higher price though.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.