Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

New Rotors Damaged upon arrival - still good to use???

13K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  kooldino 
#1 ·
Long story short, received power stop rotors which were shipped in a box with practically zero protection from damage (i.e. foam or whatever). When I arrived home the box was in front of my porch. It was completely crushed. It looked it had been rolled from drive way to front porch.

Anyhow, upon removing the contents I noticed there were dents/chips on the rotors.

I won't file a claim with the carrier if the rotors will still perform. My truck's not for show, it's used for what's it's made for--towing/hauling. :D

So, that's my question to you guys...will these dents/chips affect performance? Will it still do the job or will I pay the price later down the road by not asking for a replacement?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd send back no way would I accept that...

stop=live

don't stop=die

I would always second guess if they were bent and what not...I love my kids, and my wife believe it or not....

#3 ·
You can't see a tiny bend in the rotors but you will feel it when you brake. Also, dents and dings could possibly lead to imbalance. When's the last time you heard of someone rebalancing their rotors? They always blame the wheels and tires. I'd call the company you bought them from and let them deal with filing a claim with the carrier. Carrier probably won't cover it if there wasn't an inch of padding around it.

#4 ·
I personally don't see anything that would make me not use them. But I did not spend my money on them.

Reactions: RitcheyRch
#5 · (Edited)
My wife purchased three sets of plates on eBay recently. When the plates arrived, no breakage as care was taken when packaging them.

You paid for new rotors, not scratch and dent ones.

"I won't file a claim with the carrier if the rotors will still perform"
Well, you won't likely know that until they're installed, which will take time and money. If they don't perform, they'll have to be replaced, again taking time and money.

Just my 2%.

Reactions: Devilrey
#6 ·
I wouldn't risk it. What if one decides to fracture the first time you use it and takes out a caliper or tears up a wheel.

Ask the seller if they will pay for an NDI inspection to make sure there isn't more damage. I'm certified, Tell them I'll do it for 100.00 per rotor.

#7 ·
I work for UPS inside a sort facility and every day I see rotors come in from a local Ram/Jeep/Chrysler dealer that are shipped with nothing more than the plastic wrapping they come in with shipping label taped on top. Knowing that and hearing your story the shipper may very well tell you that's common practice and that they're fine. Personally I would want new rotors because that's what I paid for but if it's a common way to ship them than the seller might tell you to pound salt. Good luck.

Reactions: RitcheyRch
#9 ·
Yea I would not accept those either.. I dont know where you bought it or how you paid.. But that rotor is damaged and you should not be paying a return shipping fee or a restocking fee, that should be on them..

If they arent willing to waive the all that and send you a new one, contact your CC company..

#10 ·
Put them on your truck and forget about it. As stated earlier many oem rotors have little to no packing. In my 10 years of doing brake jobs almost every day I've only seen one faulty rotor after install.....and it wasn't from dropping it.

#11 · (Edited)
Sorry but I think your reputation here speaks for itself. Of course you'd install it, charge the customer full price and never look back.

I expect most rotors are shipped in a box inside a box with other stuff to the parts dept. Probably not usually in a box by themselves that "looks like it was rolled down the street"

Reactions: morser77
#12 ·
Nitro would put it on his "lame Toyota Japanese pos " for sure.

#13 ·
After not checking the oil level, of course.

Explain to me how a tiny nick on the hub face will cause you to be up in arms and return them? You realize that usually the best method to remove a rusted on rotor for hub repair work is hammer, right? then it goes back on, right?

Lots of ASSuming going on here. Please put the rotors on and put this issue to bed. If you have never driven a vehicle with drilled/slotted rotors, they make noise....so don't feel the tiny ding is going to cause that.

If the rotor face was all beat them, then understandably they should not be accepted.

#14 ·
I'd send these back because there is no advantage to running a slotted cross drilled rotor on our trucks. All that does is lend the surface to cracking. All of those pretty holes are just for looks! Save your money and go to a quality parts store and buy some conventional rotors. You will be much happier in the long run. For what it's worth I do not feel the damage shown is going to effect the rotors performance. Mounting the brake rotor on a quality brake lathe will tell you if it is bent.

#16 ·
normally I'd agree with this statement, but he did say he tows. Trying to stop a loaded tundra with a heavy trailer down a mountain or hill likely will justify a drilled or slotted rotor. I'd say the brake Temps easily would get hot enough to cause gas buildup and these would likely reduce the fade by venting the gas.

#15 ·
#19 ·
I'm always curious as why super cars use drilled rotors if solids are better (not cracking). Drilled rotors do look better, so maybe that is the only reason; but for the sake of quality and brake failure prevention, screw looks, were putting the better solid rotors on. IDK.

#22 · (Edited)
I don't know - car is over 3,000 lbs with over 700 horsepower having to stand on the brakes coming into each turn after a wide open straight away run with rotors that have to fit inside a 15" wheel they are pretty extreme even the the racing world.

Formula 1 carbon fiber rotors I have no idea about - just trying to say for comparing what a person would actually run on the street in a steel rotor if they aren't drilled in a stock car then why use it on a truck?

#23 ·
I was about to order a new set of rotors tonight but wanted to check in on thread before I do.

Thanks for the input guys.

My only concern about using these rotors is that the deep nicks on the rotors (not the head) will eat into the brake pads. Am I right in thinking this?

#25 ·
Any benefit to slotted rotors? Or is it the same cosmetic feature as drilled?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.