Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

how long to disengage in a straight line

Poll: 3rd Gen: How long does it take for your truck to disengage from 4WD to 2WD?

14K views 87 replies 21 participants last post by  BCB 
#1 · (Edited)
Poll: 3rd Gen: How long does it take to come out of 4wd:Updated 3-27-15 Problem fixed

here is my current post in dealer problems ect..

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...34-2014-toyota-tundra-4wd-slow-disengage.html

can anyone confirm that has a 2014+tundra primarily there results in this poll. After doing so post you milage and what road surface are you on. Maybe the weather temp ect.. thanks so much. I have an open case with toyota still.

I only had blacktop to test in this video but its been tested on all snow and ice , Snow only ect... You get the point. I can drive for 1 hour on a straight flat slick or dry surface stuck in 4wd. Going into 4wd is normal just like the other 4 toyota pickups I have owned. Should I be able to switch into 4wd and out on a straight surface wet dry ,snow,ice , sand ,dirt or what ever? This is the first toyota I have owned in the last 8 years that ever gave me a problem. Its also the most friggen expensive..

Keep in mind 99% of this video my my trucks dial is in 2wd and im phyically stuck in 4wd (I can feel it) Please watch the whole 4 minutes if you can handle my booring NY accent. Hey forGeeeetABout it ...:eek:hthedrama:

See less See more
Reactions: Slide187
#45 · (Edited)
A guy at work tried to buy an s-10. He tested it, the light came on that he was in 4wd, but it didn't engage. Turns out his diff was bad. I mean, bad like diff had failed. The truck thought it was engaged because it was, but actually no power was transferred to the front wheels. The guy selling it said it was a sensor. Guy at work took it to a ring/pinion shop. They found the issue.

Is it actually staying engaged, or just the light is staying on?

Either way, best of luck to you. Sucks to have issues on a new truck. I didn't vote on the newest poll as I don't have a 14, and it takes way less than 10 seconds.

P.S. What I was saying about the guy at work may seem irrelevant, but it brought up the thinking of whether the 4wd is actually staying engaged or not. Could put a camera under the truck and drive. This would help see if the T-case is staying engaged or is actually disengaging and narrow it down to the slip lock or a sensor. On guy at works not bought truck I removed the battery tray, applied vac to the vac actuator and could watch the cable move throughout the normal travel range and at that point could tell the slip lock appeared to be working, and the sensor also was doing it's job.

#46 ·
No it definity engaged when the light is flashing. WHen I was in a turn that was at about 10 mph as was not slow enough or at a sharp enough turn the truck was trying to keep me going straight. I almost hit the car in the oncoming lane :eek: I was scared. I lef off the gas immediately but it still started me a bit as I was expecting it to disengaged being I had the switch back into 2wd 10 minutes earlier.

This at times is a safety issue at times. I wish I had that entire scenario on video to show them.

edit: during this particular situation I was going from snow covered roads to roads that were bone dry.

#47 ·
I've been using 4HI up in Boston a ton lately also. the first bunch of times i didn't notice anything weird, in or out, but the last 2 times i used it it took a long time to come out, and the 2nd of those 2 times i actually had to come to a full stop on the side of the road, put the truck in park, and back in drive before it would come out.

Not a fan either. i'll try the turning thing next time i use it because i feel like it stays in thru turns which was why i stopped to do it the last time.

oh and mine is a 2015 LTD DC.

Reactions: SP
#48 ·
The only thing that turning should affect the disengaging process should be the slip lock in the front diff.
With that said, the T-case at that point should have disengaged allowing for it to slip. This is definitely a weird one.

If you have ever driven an awd system the diff is engaged full time in the front and the t-case has a clutch that sends power to the front. Maybe the issue is actually something sticking in the T-case causing it to stay engaged, but then the slip lock should still disengage allowing you to turn freely.

I think there may be a 4wd logic ecu in our trucks, but honestly not sure.

#49 ·
Bump i see the TFA tomorrow weather permitting here. It's good that were getting snow to show him it's hard to get the truck out of 4wd on a slick surface

#50 ·
The electronic t-case from Borg is new for 14' up and I would question the electronic engagement logic as well. It is sporadic and variable on the timing although from what I read it's synchronizes based on speed, throttle position, etc. I think the software management for 4wd is over sensitive expecting the optimal conditions to engage/disengage. This is what leads me to believe the OP has a bad sensor and is sending the wrong info to the computer. You definitely put people at risk including yourself with timing variables of this system. I have a slight hum that comes from from my t-case/front diff when engaged and is more noticeable at higher speeds and deceleration, normal?...dunno. I expect them to make good on any issues, especially safety related.

#52 · (Edited)
krabage…

Interesting information of the electronic transfer case…

I agree with the OP and others, there is a problem with it. Whether it is considered a problem by Toyota will be anyone’s guess—but I guess not…

I was at a gathering the other night and parking was limited in the plowed driveway area. So, several of us who have 4wd vehicles pulled into the yard area. The snow was about a foot deep. I pulled in to the yard in just 2wd as I had a bit of momentum and never gave 4wd a thought. I figured I would just put the truck in 4wd when I was leaving and back out of the yard. The yard is level…

Well, when it got time to leave, I got in my truck and started it and started to back up. Well, being in 2wd it literally just sat there and spun—even with little or no throttle applied…

No problem I thought and turned the selector to 4wd position. The 4HI just kept blinking, and blinking, and blinking. Since I couldn’t get the vehicle to move forward or backward it would not engage…

So, I got pissed and started ripping and tearing from drive to reverse after I shut off all the nannies. The vehicle then rocked enough to allow the 4wd to engage and I could back out of the yard…

I am glad no one was watching as that sure was embarrassing. There were ’14 and ’15 Dodges, Chevys, and an older Ford in the yard also. I didn’t stick around to see if they had problems—but I am most certain they didn’t…

Needless to say, the 4wd in the 14 Tundra is very lousy and is more than capable of letting a person get stuck or even cause an accident…

I am interested in what SP finds out about his…

Keep us posted SP…

Thanks…BCB
BCB this is similar to what I expariance. its annoying as heck. I however have 0 problems getting into 4wd. But You senario never happened to me. Ill try that tomorrow in my test drive with Nick the TFA

thanks guys. Ill bring this up with the tech. I read this too here on the forums but it was not confirmed. Its ammo to me. Borg and the new .thank krabage and BCB

Reactions: Powertechn2
#51 ·
krabage…

Interesting information of the electronic transfer case…

I agree with the OP and others, there is a problem with it. Whether it is considered a problem by Toyota will be anyone’s guess—but I guess not…

I was at a gathering the other night and parking was limited in the plowed driveway area. So, several of us who have 4wd vehicles pulled into the yard area. The snow was about a foot deep. I pulled in to the yard in just 2wd as I had a bit of momentum and never gave 4wd a thought. I figured I would just put the truck in 4wd when I was leaving and back out of the yard. The yard is level…

Well, when it got time to leave, I got in my truck and started it and started to back up. Well, being in 2wd it literally just sat there and spun—even with little or no throttle applied…

No problem I thought and turned the selector to 4wd position. The 4HI just kept blinking, and blinking, and blinking. Since I couldn’t get the vehicle to move forward or backward it would not engage…

So, I got pissed and started ripping and tearing from drive to reverse after I shut off all the nannies. The vehicle then rocked enough to allow the 4wd to engage and I could back out of the yard…

I am glad no one was watching as that sure was embarrassing. There were ’14 and ’15 Dodges, Chevys, and an older Ford in the yard also. I didn’t stick around to see if they had problems—but I am most certain they didn’t…

Needless to say, the 4wd in the 14 Tundra is very lousy and is more than capable of letting a person get stuck or even cause an accident…

I am interested in what SP finds out about his…

Keep us posted SP…

Thanks…BCB

#53 ·
found this very interesting at about 9 minutes into the video.

Reactions: Powertechn2
#54 ·
found this very interesting at about 9 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UoBCIjWIoU
Excellent vid...yes at the 9 mark regarding the electronically controlled limit switch module. His explanation that it is only a "request" to engage is spot on. I think now you have the info to discuss with the Toyota rep. Just keep in mind this is on 07-13's. Borg Warner has a new t-case with a magnetic engagement. There is a press release out there on it. Again I stand by the software logic programmed for the limiters is too sensitive and is expecting optimal conditions. Trying to make the 4wd idiot proof for the masses is doing more harm than good.

#57 · (Edited)
I agree, the video is very interesting. It applies to Toyota, but it gives a good knowledge of how transfer cases function…

So, here in my question or maybe just a comment for thought…

Let’s say on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most sensitive and most conservative and most likely to not allow damage to the gears in the transfer case—do you think that the Tundra might be set at the upper limits—say 9 or 10 to give optimum (although over-kill) protection to the transfer case gears…

Whereas, let’s just say Ford for example, if they use the same system might have their limiters set at say 6 or 7 and that allows the 4wd to engage quicker and still be on the safe side to allow minimal wear and tear to the gears in the transfer case?...

And, is it possible to use the magnetic engagement system in the transfer cases presently on the ’14 Tundra—should Toyota decide to do something with the problem of slow shifting—which of course, that will be very subjective with Toyota likely winning that argument…

Do you know where the Press Release might be found?...

And, I am also wondering if a person should complain to the dealer about it now or wait until a service interval arrives?...

Thanks…BCB

#55 ·
Be sure all of your tires are EXACTLY the same size and worn evenly. A tire worn even a few/32" from the others will cause difficulty engaging and disengaging.

#58 · (Edited)
This 4wd situation has become very interesting to me as I certainly do feel there is a problem with the timeliness of engagement and disengagement of the 4wd system in the 2014 Tundra—or at least in mine and other ones as noted throughout this thread…

As previously stated, I have been involved with 4wd’s for over 45 years. With Uncle Sam, during my personal vehicle ownership (then and now), and with company vehicles as 4wd was required with my jobs/career…

They had one lever, 2 levers, lock-in hubs, auto hubs, buttons, and knobs as selectors to access 4wd and return to 2wd. This does not make me “Gawd’s gift to 4wd knowledge” but I have some experience with the 4wd phenomena…

Today I took my Tundra out and about, just to do a bit of experimenting, on some of the secondary roads in Western PA as we have plenty of snow and slippery conditions on our road…

I first eliminated all of the Nannies and was driving in just plain ol’ 2wd. I purposely drove up roads on hills to be able to test the 4wd engagement/disengagement…

During some of the driving on an inclined road, the Tundra would start to lose traction and I would turn the knob to 4wd HI as I was slightly spinning at a very slow speed. Blinking and beeping and it would not engage into 4wd until I left off of the throttle and the vehicle had literary almost stopped. The result then was basically starting out on the hill from a stopped position. The wheels would spin, but not with enough traction to allow me to continue up the hill. I had to stop and back up to a slightly less slippery place and then start out again. Once moving, the 4wd did its job. Up the hill I went…

This is where the problem is with the slow engagement of 4wd. Being crowed into a ditch results in the same situation I just described—although it could be worse as one may not be able to back out of the ditch. Then you are most likely stuck—waiting for a Ford or Chevy or Ram to pull you out!!!...

I also tried to allow the transfer case to shift from 2wd to 4wd when the vehicle was just setting in park—most of the time it would just blink 4HI and never enter 4wd. That is simply unacceptable…

At times during my test run, the 4HI would just blink when attempts to engage were performed—it never went into 4wd until the throttle was lessened to nothing or until the vehicle was stopped. Other times when trying to disengage the 4HI, it would also just blink and only go to 2wd when the throttle was lessened or completely at the idle position. Terrible to say the least…

If Toyota does not recognize this as a problem to people who honestly might want the 4wd because they actually need it, they are being completely irresponsible to those who expected a heavy-duty 4wd pickup that is capable of “earning a living” for those who demand such performance…

Otherwise, they have built the Tundra for those who wish to “mod” them and cruise the “boulevard or block” and let the sun reflect from the untouched paint. Not being degrading to those who “dec” a vehicle as I keep my Tundra damn nice also, but I do use it for its intended purpose—4wd and hauling and towing, and working…

And so it goes…

Discouraged to say the least…

BCB

#61 ·
well good news for me. He said there is definitely a problem. They are going to start by replacing the front diff ADD actuator . If that does not do it they will do the transfer case. The TFA was a great guy who had 14+ years at toyota and drove a 2014 platinum himself.

Im so glad at least were moving forward finally.

He also said they switched the t-case actuator to a borg warner due to parts supply as someone else here thought. They should have left well enough alone in my .02

#64 ·
I can only attest to the 2010 which I have...

I have been on ice before, not knowing the rears were spinning slowly without throttle, and the 4wd will just engage and make a small thud. It would be a huge issue if you are stuck and it requires the front to rotate to even attempt to engage.

Reactions: krabage
#65 ·
seems like there are issues with the new more ECU that dedicated to the 4wd system. No codes will be triggered unless something bad physically happens. I wish toyota kept the old actuators.

#66 ·
Update: they replaced the front actuator part # 41400-34020 and no dice. They order a new transfer case . As per the Toyota FTS. I'll have to wait until later in the week. Oh well what can you do. I think the truck is jinxed. My first Toyota to ever have a problem and my first Toyota or vehicle in 20 years I was in an accident with.

Text Font Line Parallel

#67 ·
Well the truck is in for major surgery. I got a sweet Camry . -> crosses fingers that it's fixed

#68 · (Edited)
I have a 2wd and was considering getting 4wd when I trade mine in even though I don't have a use for it yet. I really thought the transfer speed to engage etc was nearly instant such as 1 second. It's a bummer to hear they take a while. I don't have previous experience with it.

Now it seems the new parts might not be as good as previous models? I really prefer a 4wd system that can be used on dry road also or just wet but not snowing. I prefer an AWD system like the Sequoia instead.

Does anyone know if the new Sequoias changed over to using a BorgWarner transfer case like they did with the 2014+ Tundras or are the new Sequoias still using its same older version? I realize there are some differences between the Tundra and Sequoia but curious is BorgWarner is now the supplier for the new Sequoias also. Thanks for any info.

#69 ·
Yes as far as I know they all use the new American junk. ,bummer indeed

#70 ·
Update: new Tcase is in and the problem is fixed!!! Hooray party tonight baby . The tech said they only give 3.5 hours but it took 5 hours. They said there was more than just bolting it in. Something about adjusting something else.. Bla bla bla. Anyways I can disengage like normal! Why could they not see the problem when I dropped it off all day for them to take there time and test it themselves. I don't know...

#71 · (Edited)
Just catching this now...

This winter, it's been a mixed bag of engagement/dis-engaement times for me on my '14.

With one exception, engagement from 2H to 4H has been flawless while on the fly at speeds under 30ish mph. The one exception was likely my fault to some degree as I pushed in and went past 4H into 4L and was greeted by the nanny screeching at me because I was moving. Once stopped, I had to come back out to 2H and then repeat the process to go back into 4L before the computer would do anything.

Engagement from 4H to 4L while stopped has been okay as well.

Dis-engagement on mine has been the sore spot, usually from 4H to 2H. I don't recall any issues coming from 4L to 4H, but almost every time I'm trying to come out of 4H, the delay has been at least 10 seconds, with the last one a few weeks ago taking more like 30 seconds. One time, there was a helluva thud that came out of the transfer case when it came out of 4H, which sounded like the gears were bound up after I descended a short but steep and windy forest road hill that was snow covered.

To me, it seems that the nanny state of the ECM/PCM prevents actuator movement until it's happy that all other 50 conditions being monitors jive and the planets align. I had the windows down on a quiet, snow covered forest road this last time with the huge delay and there was the initial actuator noise for the 4L to 4H change, but the stupid 4H light still flashed at me for 20+ seconds then all of sudden things came to life as I crept/stopped/crept/stopped and the second actuator pulled it out of 4H and I was good to go.

I think the truck is either trying to save itself by being grossly overprotective of the changes or there is a process issue with how the ECM/PCM is making it's decision.

edit: I, for one, would like the details about what else they had to do to the OP's xfer case to fix the issue.

#72 ·
Well glad the OP got his Tundra fixed, or it seems to be so. From his posts and video, he certainly did have a major problem…

If I compare my concerns with his experience, I reckon my engagement/disengagement is functioning as Toyota intended it to do…

So, it seems if you anticipate a need for a quick engagement from 2wd to 4wd on a slippery hilly road where one could be crowed into a ditch on a very narrow road or such example—one would be well advised to put the vehicle in 4wd before an incident might occur…

The 4wd system on the ’14 Tundra is absolutely the WORST that I have ever driven. My ’11 did not have such problems—it was put together the way a 4wd should be…

I will discuss my concerns with the dealer my next visit, but I am sure I will hear, “We have never heard of this issue before”. Of course that will be a lie and he will say they will look at it and the final invoice will say “no problems found—functioned as designed”…

I will say it again, “I am extremely disappointed with this ’14 Tundra in more ways than just the 4wd system”…

Live and learn I guess—but, spread the news to save others headaches…

And so it goes…

BCB

#73 ·
yep what can you do. I really should call toyota directly and ask for some sort of compensation for work and time lost. I have a STACK of receipts from my visits. Its crazy.

Reactions: theoat
#74 ·
Being as they said they had to adjust something(S) and it took longer than they expected, likely they swapped the T-case and it was still acting up. It doesn't take normally even close to 3.5 hrs to swap a T-case with the right tools.

I really wonder if all along it was just an adjustment that was off and they were just being too pigheaded to figure it out.

#76 ·
yeah makes me wonder to man.

yeah I read that already. Good choice toyota :clap:

I did receive a 8 year toyota platinum warranty for free after a phone call to customer service. It puts me as ease. I wanted a new truck at first when I called, they were quick to offer the warranty. The rep said he would have to run it by his supervisor and get back to me. 24 hours later he said no problem with the free TSA 7 year 125k or the 8 year 100k platinum. I took the 8 due to the fact I have short commutes. So Im a happy camper now.

thanks to everyone here to voted and contributed to get this fixed.

#77 ·
Having an 8 year warranty makes me feel better as I am sure you do too.

If I hadn't already bought mine I am sure I would have gotten it thrown in when my truck was mia for an entire month 2 years ago at a dealershit.

Reactions: Dixon Cider and SP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.