Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tinted Tails and CHMSL...with a twist

62K views 168 replies 49 participants last post by  Matthew Harris 
#1 ·
I wet sanded it with 2000 grit wet/dry and applied 3 coats of VHT nightshades, then 3 coats of clearcoat. After that, I polished it to a nice shine.

[/QUOTE]

Started working on my tail lights this morning. I haven't polished them yet. Waiting for them to dry.

I wet sanded them and taped off the center sections.

Then I sprayed a single coat of VHT Nightshades.

Peeling off the tape reveals the lighter center section.

I then applied a 2nd coat of VHT to the entire lens. I darkened the sides of the lens a little more by spraying a heavier coat as I went around the side of the lens.

I then applied 5 coats of VHT Clear Enamel so I could sand it to a smooth finish without fear of getting into the smoke color.

Sanded. Polished. Installed.

This is with the lights off.

See less See more
#5 ·
I wet sanded the clearcoat thoroughly, but very lightly with 2000 grit wet/dry to get rid of specs and slight fogging from overspray.

I used a clay rubbing compound first, then polished further with Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl remover. Always use a microfiber cloth for polishing and not just a soft rag. Learned that by having to redo stuff in the past.

I did this a while back and they have lightened up a bit over time. I'm considering pulling them back off and applying another coat of tint. I live in socal and I get a LOT of sunshine.

#6 ·
Good work.

I would have replaced the scratch and swirl remover with an actual polish but that's just the insecure,anal person that I am.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Tinted tail tickets are not uncommon around here. I was really nervous about doing it. I have been pulled over twice and not a word was said about the tinted lenses. Yay!

#10 · (Edited)
...and I need to get around to doing my BHLM. My gas oven scares me to death. I don't even cook in it. There's no way I'm putting my headlights in there. Maybe I can use my mom's oven when we go back to Mo for Christmas. I can already see the look on her face. :eek:

#13 ·
Thanks. The clear coat and polishing made a huge difference. All the unclearcoated ones I saw had a matte finish from the VHT...even the ones that had been rubbed/polished. They just never really seemed to shine like they should. I watched lots of youtube videos before tackling mine.

#17 ·
Haha no worries! You're just leaving in suspense for the next appearance!

I really have no idea about these tires wearing funky. Even straight on you can tell they sit a bit heavy on the outside. I don't know if 112 lb brush guard would do that or not? There was probably less than 2/32nd disparity between the inside of hte tire and the outside. Now there's probably a little bit more, as well as a 2/32nd disparity from the front of the outside lug tot eh back of the outside lug.

-rockstate

#22 ·
He took 3 other peeps with him to help drive and keep each other awake. My issue is that when the 3 of them start snoring, I might get tired, too. LOL

#30 ·
Great job.. i need to dive into this DIY

#31 ·
Thanks. Reminds me I needed to post some night pics. These were taken right at sunset in the SeaWorld parking lot. ISO and shutter speed make it look brighter out than it really was. Parking lot lights are on in the background.

Attachments

#32 ·
Hey Phil I started mine..!! :D

Thanks Phil..!!

I'm just posting mine here as it's the same mod as Phil posted.

The only thing I did different from yours is I sanded the parts between the 5th and 6th clear coat. ;)

3'rd brake light.

Ready for the VHT.

1st coat.

2nd and 3rd coat.

Then after it was done.

Here's how it looks. :drool:

#35 ·
Yeah now I just got to finish the taillights buddy!!

I had a stupid
driving me crazy today but I got him. :lol5:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.