neglected tundra to TUNDRA refreshed - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
neglected tundra to TUNDRA refreshed

I've been using my Tundra as a work truck while building our loghome. Too many long trips in the dark and winter have taken a toll, hit 2 deer and beat it up hauling construction materials and tools. Truck has been a good rig, but it became time to upgrade...then I saw what the newer ones were selling for!

So here I am with a 2007 Tundra double cab with 152K on it, looking for advice on getting this thing back in shape to last another 5-8years.

Mechanically.....
The 5.7 still runs like top, but the VSC, ABS, 4Hi 4Lo lights flash. I have trouble shifting into and out of 4x4 too.

Cosmetically.....
Front bumper and grill are toast. Rear lower portion of the bed is flexed in a bit and bumper is bent a bit. Hood has some dings from PVC pipe unloading itself during a emergency stop.

Well that's what I'm up against and Here's my initial plan:

1. The paint is good overall, except hood damage, so I would like to take out the hood dents and then add a vinyl wrap on the upper portion of the truck.
2. I already bought a ICI magnum front bumper with some LED lights and plan on getting a matching rear bumper.
3. Get the relays or solenoid issues fixed.
4. Add a leveling kit or small 2.5 lift. Looking at toytec 3/1 or BOSS Ultimate lift. I have almost new 275/65/18 and don't plan on getting any new tires for a while. But with the new bumper.... I will add either a winch or possibly a lighter duty snowplow. so might have to upgrade the tires to 285/70/18 or something.

I am looking for suggestions/thoughts and encourage any/all input. I'll post some before, during and after posts as I progress.
Brian

It's just one Dam job after another

Last edited by hydroguy; 04-25-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Day 1 was front end demo and recon.

lots of bent or broken metal and plastic removed

Mostly clear, still need to unbolt sheared plastic mounts and saw off a few pieces of twisted metal.

New bumper waiting in the wings.

Also found the pass headlight is damaged, so will get replacement ones for both sides. I think I try to find some aftermarket black housings.

The Following User Says Thank You to hydroguy For This Useful Post:
Lilly (04-17-2017)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:22 PM

Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,316 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
I wonder if a Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) could help you with the hood damage....
You might want to consider a lift likethe OME 614's with shocks with that bumper as it probably weighs a few pounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I'll look at the dent removal, but don't have high hopes. Several of the dents are on factory creases. I'll knock them out as close as I can fill them. Primer sealer, then vinyl over the top.

I'm still struggling with the lift situation. Don't want to get to big or ride sacrificed....but also need to not only look god, but perform well with the heavier bumper.

Thinking about this Toytec Ultimate lift. due to adjustability. The price of the OME lift is tempting, but "how's the ride?".

The struggle is real!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
Bilstein 6112 for the front and just put them on the top setting... half the price of that toytec lift, rides great from all the feedback around here, and gets you 2.5" higher in the front as well.

you might be able to source a clean used hood that'll save you tons of hours on work to get it straight... since color doesn't matter on the vinyl wrap side, that makes it even easier. And if you find it in silver, then maybe no need to spend all that $$ on vinyl wrap.

>--- B I G L O A D ---<

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by theman; 04-17-2017 at 05:55 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Made a little progress tonight. mounted the lights in the bumper and then hung the bumper on the truck. I managed to hang it myself but need a extra hand to line everything up at lock it all down. New headlights, grill parts, rear bumper and taillights ordered. wiring still need figured out too.

still a long way to go, but here's the rough in pictures

It dropped the front end almost an inch from stock, so I'm looking at the Bilstein 5100's or something like that, to bump it up. Want 2.5 increase in the front and maybe 1" in the rear. That should level it out a bit and give me room for some slightly bigger tires.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 AM

Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Garage
A good PDR guy can fix dents where there are factory creases. Read reviews and you will probably find someone that can do it.

Sent from my Atari 2600
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Parts are coming in and I'm finding a few moments to install them. Still waiting on the fender extensions before adjusting the bumper fit.

Magnum rear bumper got here today, so I tossed it on.

looks better than it did 2 weeks ago, but lots to do still.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Yea it's got a way to go, but great start so far man looks good.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What a difference. My 2006 can not get bumpers like that so consider yourself lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. Slow progress during my busy season, but it's coming along.

I installed a Spod switch pak for all the lights and other stuff I want to power up. Made for easy wire runs under the hood. So far I only have the light bar actually wired, should have the fog and driving lights this week.
under the hood pic

switches in the overhead console real clean install

light bar is WOW, that's bright. even at dusk it kept messing up my cell phone camera. The Spec D headlights need different bulbs and I need to figure out how to adjust them down a bit. turning the adjustment didn't seem to do anything.

I bought some Bilstein 5112's and installed them on the top setting. Says the average increase is 2.28" There was a 3" difference front to back before I tore it down.

Took my son and I about 2 hours to install the new shocks. Some of those bolts probably haven't been loose in 10years and 160000 miles. I measured before and after...TaDa, I had a 2.25" increase. It had a far amount of positive camber, rode ok but a little twitchy.

$56 alignment using the factory specs. rides and drives perfect! smoother ride than the old worn struts. and love the way it sits level now. Actually measures 1" low in the front, but looks level

Went camping this weekend. Nice to have the truck back on the road.

I'm looking for a deal on some new wheels and tires to replace the 275/65-18's I'm running now. not sure what I want 275/65-20's on Moto Metal 977 gun metal (I'm a mechanic at a hydropower plant so these might look good)

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:43 AM

Thanked 1,517 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroguy View Post
Thanks. Slow progress during my busy season, but it's coming along.

I installed a Spod switch pak for all the lights and other stuff I want to power up. Made for easy wire runs under the hood. So far I only have the light bar actually wired, should have the fog and driving lights this week.
under the hood pic

switches in the overhead console real clean install

light bar is WOW, that's bright. even at dusk it kept messing up my cell phone camera. The Spec D headlights need different bulbs and I need to figure out how to adjust them down a bit. turning the adjustment didn't seem to do anything.

I bought some Bilstein 5112's and installed them on the top setting. Says the average increase is 2.28" There was a 3" difference front to back before I tore it down.

Took my son and I about 2 hours to install the new shocks. Some of those bolts probably haven't been loose in 10years and 160000 miles. I measured before and after...TaDa, I had a 2.25" increase. It had a far amount of positive camber, rode ok but a little twitchy.

$56 alignment using the factory specs. rides and drives perfect! smoother ride than the old worn struts. and love the way it sits level now. Actually measures 1" low in the front, but looks level

Went camping this weekend. Nice to have the truck back on the road.

I'm looking for a deal on some new wheels and tires to replace the 275/65-18's I'm running now. not sure what I want 275/65-20's on Moto Metal 977 gun metal (I'm a mechanic at a hydropower plant so these might look good)
Looking good man! Those wheels are the most unique design I've seen in a long time. I dig it.

New EnglandTundra Club Member #10

2010 Toyota Tundra DC

5.7l, TRD Off Road, 4WD
Silver Sky Metallic
No Mods....Yet
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccnick View Post
Looking good man! Those wheels are the most unique design I've seen in a long time. I dig it.
I've worked with a lot of big bolts and wrenches for 35years...so thought these would be perfect retirement gift to myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to hydroguy For This Useful Post:
riccnick (06-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Build Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.