Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Hookedontronics 2016 MGM CM Build Thread

20K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  Hookedontronics 
#1 · (Edited)
Been about a month since I picked up my truck and started modifying it so it’s become time to create a build thread. I ordered this truck back in August and after a 2 month wait it came in exactly what I wanted. I’ve had the Toyota truck bug for quite a while. Like many others I came over here from Tacomaworld. I had a 2010 Mid travel Tacoma I absolutely adored but when the Mrs went back to school I sold the truck so I could cash in. Here is the build thread on the Tacoma, if you came over here from that site you will probably recognize my truck (JSEnclosures Build Thread). Well now that the Mrs is done with school it was time to get back into a new truck and since I am a bit of a gearhead and sportsman I knew I needed a full size truck that could tow. I’ve always like the Tundras and so it was an obvious choice for me.

2016 MGM Crewmax SR5 TRD Offroad
So far the mods include:

Electronics:
-Valentine 1 with rear view mirror mount bracket

Audio/Video:
-OEM wireless phone charger in console lid
-Runnin4Tacos Anytime Camera Kit

Exterior:
-Color matched TRD Pro grille
-Color matched hood bulge
-Wade in-channel vent visors
-Access literider tonneau cover
-Line-x spray in bedliner
-Toyota deck rail system
-LEDs for Raptor mod (waiting install)
-AMP electric steps
-stubby antenna
-OEM bed lights
-Rigid 50132 D2 Amber driving lights with rigid fog light mounting brackets.
-HID d2s Retrofit with BHLM
-Go Rhino RB20 rear bumper, light plates, nilight 18w flush mount flood lights
-Front bumper caps sprayed with line-x

Interior:
-Husky x-act contour front floor mats
-Weathertech rear floor mats
-Headlight Revolution LED interior kit with vanity mirror lights
-Lock’er Down console vault
-Console divider from Amazon
-ESP Truck rear under seat storage unit
-Mud River rear seat cover for the pup

Suspension / Tires:
-TRD Pro suspension front and rear
-Firestone ride rite air bags with Airlift wireless air system
-Hankook MT2 275/70-18 Tires

Pic of when i first got it:

TRD Pro Grille & vent visors:

Console Vault:

LED lights:
New vs old (iphone doesnt really do it justice):

New:

See less See more
#7 ·
Welcome! I too came from Tacomaworld. I recognize your username. My username over there is MacGyver. I still post on TW from time to time. Nice choice on the MGM crewmax, that's what I have too.

I'm on my 2nd Tundra now after my Taco. I had a '13 double cab SR5 but traded it for the crewmax for family space needs.

Here's my old taco:

#12 ·
Is there an existing harness back there for the oem bed light kit?

#21 ·
Finally got this in on Sunday. The template didn't match up the the seat bolts so that was a little frustrating and led to to take some measurements. If i had one suggestion i'd make sure you cut out the holes smaller than the template. I cut mine out a tad smaller than the template (about 1/8" smaller) so i'd get a tight fit and it was too much. It's not a sloppy fit my any means but it's not as tight on the drivers side as i would have liked.

#23 ·
Installed the auto headlight stalk and sensor, very easy mod that i am enjoying right now, wish i did it day 1.

Next up, fog light anytime mod and rigid fog light install. I decided to go with the Rigid 50132 Amber driving lights out of pure oversight. I wanted the driving pattern and thought i was ordering a pair of white lights on ebay after going to the rigid site and searching the model number i thought i wanted. Come to find out i bought a single amber led light and since the seller wanted a 20% restocking fee i decided to just purchase another, i'm sure i'll be very pleased with them, but i would have preferred to spend half of what it ended up costing me. I also bought a fog light 6" extension plug from amazon for $8 and i'll cut those and wire in the rigids to make them plug and play to the truck without having to cut off any of the truck side wiring.

#24 ·
#26 ·
Nice build!

#27 · (Edited)
Rigid fog lights installed. (Model 50312)

I'll be honest, these are not worth $200 a piece imho, I had ebay knock offs on my last Chevy truck and they were brighter and about 40 bucks a piece. I wish I saved the $320 and went ebay again, but they do look nice mounted up.

This was the fog light harness I made to go from the oem plug to rigid. I bought these on Amazon and spliced them into the rigid connectors for a quick plug and play option without cutting my factory harness.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZEC32A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tTlKxb9VTEMW2

#36 · (Edited)
Got the rear bumper on today. I'm happy with it. For the lights I just used a set of $20 knock offs I got on Amazon, I just sealed the backside with some silicone to help prevent moisture getting into them. They're very bright and well worth the savings over the rigids I used on the front end.

The truck just needs some lift and bigger tires to finish the look.

My car doesn't spend much time outside the garage so I snapped a pic of the pair while they were sitting side by side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.