Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2015 Tundra 1794 Edition by StevenD

49K views 105 replies 41 participants last post by  StevenD 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple of months ago, I was sitting at the dealer getting my oil changed on my 2011 Tundra Platinum when the "upgrade" girl walked over to me. I told her I wasn't interested, but thank you. She told her boss I dismissed her, so he comes over to try. I was shocked at what they were willing to give me for my trade (these Tundras really do hold their value)!

Later that day, I got a text from my salesman that I have dealt with in the past and we got the ball rolling. He couldn't find what I was interested in anywhere in the Gulf States region, so, he tagged one that was being built for me. About 5 weeks later, it was delivered!

This is the 2011 Platinum that I said, "Goodbye!" to:

Here is my new 2015 Tundra 1794 Edition CrewMax 4x2 straight from the port:

It had only been about 20k miles on my 2011 since I installed my lift, exhaust and wheels and tires. Part of my trade deal was that the dealer would take care of moving all of those over to my new truck.

They transferred these from the 2011:
• MaxTrac 3.5" Lift Spindles
• TRD Dual Exhaust
• Coachbuilder's +3 Shackles and Carrier Bearing Drop
• American Outlaw Armor 20x9 Charcoal Chrome Wheels
• Nitto Terra Grappler LT305/55R20 Tires

It came in from the port with the wrong fender flares, so they swapped them out for the color-matched pocket flares. GST also does a spray-in bedliner for all Platinums and 1794s.

This is what it looked like the day I took delivery:

They also installed the AMP PowerSteps:

While I was waiting for the new truck to be delivered, I went ahead and ordered a few things. First of all, the chrome had to go! I've been saying for two years now that I do not like the enormous chrome grille on the 1794.

BTW... a big "Thanks" to Roman @ToyotaOfCoolSprings ! He has really good prices and he ships almost immediately.

• TRD Pro Grille and Hood Bulge (color matched, of course)
• TRD Rear Sway bar
• Color-Matched Door Handles
• Color-Matched Mirror Caps
• Oh, Sh*t Handle (since for some reason Toyota deleted that)
• 3D MAXPider Classic Floor Mats (these are the new carpeted ones...pic below)
• HyperTech Speedometer Calibrator
• Lock'er Down Console Vault
• Pop & Lock
• LEDs from V-LEDS.com for every socket, inside and out (including V3 Triton tail lights from my 2011)
• TRS Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
• XenonDepot LED H4 Headlights (these are being replaced by a HID retrofit very soon)
• TYC 1794/Platinum Headlights with Morimoto D2S Retrofit

I also ordered a Griots 3" DA Polisher and Opti-Coat Pro. I hope to get that put on in the next couple of weeks.

I was undecided on what I wanted to do with the bumper. I knew that I wanted the ends to be white, but I wasn't sure about the middle section...would it look better black or white. I bought a bunch of Plasti-Dip to find out. White was the clear winner! I attempted to wrap the whole thing with some 3M 1080, and that was an utter and complete failure. I obviously dont know what I'm doing.

This is what it looks like today:

I keep forgetting to change out the mirror caps!

The plastic bumper ends are being delivered from Roman tomorrow. I will take them to my painter right away and will hopefully be installed next week. I'm not going to drive around with Plasti-Dip for very long. And I don't care what folks say, it's quite difficult to clean!

On my 2011, I absolutely loved the LazerLite Tonneau Cover, so I had to have one for my 2015. These things are pricy, but worth every penny!

Here is a shot of the new 3D carpeted mats:

New headlights:

space

See less See more
#2 ·
Love me some white Tundra. Good looking truck, sir.

#4 ·
bookmark

#5 ·
You shoulda had the dealer agree to sand blast the chrome off those wheels and paint them the color of your choice. Just busting balls, it's a great looking truck congrats!! You didn't say what they gave you on trade in, wanna divulge?

Reactions: StevenD
#7 ·
You shoulda had the dealer agree to sand blast the chrome off those wheels and paint them the color of your choice. Just busting balls, it's a great looking truck congrats!!
Funny you are! The outside lighter part is machined aluminum. The inner part is called "liquid chrome." I guess technically it is chrome.

I'm not a fan of black wheels...or all white wheels. So, what choice do I have? Maybe all machined aluminum?

#8 ·
What about gun metal grey? Looks great in white vehicles. Standard in some higher end vehicles. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Performance car

#10 ·
Yeah I can see it better now. You gotta be loving that interior. That is a huge upgrade!

#11 ·
Congrats on the new truck! GOOD Lookin!

#12 ·
Fantastic looking truck. Needs bigger tires>:D

#13 ·
Those wheels look fine on your white truck.

I just ordered a TRD Pro grill, painted hood bulge, and TRD Pro headlights for my truck from Roman.
I, like you, didn't like all that chrome on the front of my SR5.

Your new truck looks very nice.....

#16 ·
I love those new carpeted 3D mats. I wonder how they'll hold up in winter?
They are the same as the old "Kagu" 3D mats, except that they now have a carpeted layer on top. I'm sure they will be just fine.

Unfortunately, they don't know when they will have the matching rear mat.

#17 ·
I got some more work done on my new truck this weekend.

Finally got the color matched mirror caps on:

Sway bar installed:

And most importantly, I got my Pop and Lock installed. It works great! I like it much better that the bracket I had to make for my 2011.

I also ran across a rubber insert for the hitch receiver.

#101 ·
I got some more work done on my new truck this weekend.

Finally got the color matched mirror caps on:

Sway bar installed:

And most importantly, I got my Pop and Lock installed. It works great! I like it much better that the bracket I had to make for my 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si86n88QCvA

I also ran across a rubber insert for the hitch receiver.

Steven...where can I learn more about the Pop and Lock? I don't know how I have missed this. Links to purchase and installation instructions would be awesome.

Also would you happen to have a link to the receiver hitch? cover thing?

#21 ·
I thought I was done for the weekend, but I went ahead and installed the upgraded footwell lighting.

Since I was already placing a VLEDs order, I added on their ALUMINUM BAR LIGHT STRIPLIGHT 3 CHIP 15 LED, one on each side. I'm VERY happy with the results. I have two more for the back. I didn't get around to installing those yet.

#83 ·
Thanks for all of your help with the numbers. Ordered a mess of lights from VLEDS - Cargo, Backup, Interior front and rear dome, vanity mirror and front and back foot well LEDs. The base of the dome LEDs were a little larger than the OEM bulbs, so I had some challenges - ended up shorting the fuse once for the front and really bad in the rear. To make a long story short, I ended up buying a new rear cargo fixture as the socket broke and shorted it out. Found a take off on eBay for $5, so I was able to fix it today. Still need to do the floors. Their floor kit is nice. I can't believe how much brighter and whiter it is.

#22 · (Edited)
I finally finished up all of my lights last night. VLEDs had my cargo lights backordered for almost two months. I finally got those in last night.

Here is a list of everything that was installed.

Interior - Footwell Lighting:
2 x BAR_15_W_5K - WHITE 5K ALUMINUM BAR LIGHT STRIPLIGHT 3 CHIP 15 LED
1 x DIY2_BASE_74 - DIY-2 LED BASE ADAPTER 74
1 x DIY2_Y_ADAPT - DIY-2 LED MULTI BOARD Y-ADAPTER DAISY CHAIN
1 x DIY2_WIRE_6 - DIY-2 WIRE EXTENSION 6 INCH
1 x DIY2_WIRE_48 - DIY-2 WIRE EXTENSION 48 INCH
FOOTWELL STRIP LIGHT KIT 15 LED ALUMINUM BAR - Aluminum Bar Strips - Accent

Interior - Dome Lights:
Enough for two cars, plus some extras
1 x Only® Newest, 20pcs, W5w 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050 White High Power Car Lights Bulb,brighter,green Energy, Lower Heat, Eco-friendly,better Quality,longer Life (20pcs - T10 - 5smd)
Amazon.com: Only® Newest, 20pcs, W5w 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050 White High Power Car Lights Bulb,brighter,green Energy, Lower Heat, Eco-friendly,better Quality,longer Life (20pcs - T10 - 5smd): Automotive

Mirror Puddle Lights:
1 x Cutequeen White 300 Lumens 5730 6-SMD 31mm(1.25") 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs DE3175 DE3021 DE3022 3175 (pack of 4)
Amazon.com: Cutequeen White 300 Lumens 5730 6-SMD 31mm(1.25") 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs DE3175 DE3021 DE3022 3175(pack of 4): Automotive

Front - Headlights:
Replaced by HID retrofit
1 x H4-LED-HL - H4 LED Headlight Kit
H4 LED Headlight Kit | H4 LED Upgrade

Front - Fog Lights:
1 x Type T Morimoto XB LED (Pair)
Morimoto XB LED Fog lights

Front - Turn Signals (I have a 1794, so these are NOT DRL switchbacks):
1 x JDM ASTAR AX-2835 Chipsets 3056 3156 3156 3157 LED Bulbs for Turn Signal,Amber Yellow
Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR AX-2835 Chipsets 3056 3156 3156 3157 LED Bulbs for Turn Signal,Amber Yellow: Automotive

Front - Marker Lights:
1x 194_HV_A - HIGH-VIS AMBER LED SIDEMARKER BULBS 194 168 158 | 1 PAIR
HIGH-VIS AMBER LED SIDEMARKER BULBS 194 168 158 | 1 PAIR

Rear - Tail/Brake Lights:
1 x RED V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 SET
1 x V3_BASE_3157CK - 3157CK | 1 Pair
I already had the V3s from my previous Tundra, but needed to purchase new base adapters.
NEW! RED V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM 2.5 | 1 SET - Red - Bulb System - V3 Triton

Rear - Turn Signals:
1 x 921_15_R - RED 15 LED HIGH POWER BULBS 917 918 920 921 922 923 579 | 1 PAIR
RED 15 LED HIGH POWER BULBS 917 918 920 921 922 923 579 | 1 PAIR (BACKORDERED)

Rear - Reverse Lights:
1 x 7440_21_HO_5K - 5K WHITE HIGH OUTPUT 21 LED BACK-UP LIGHT 7440 1000LM | 1 PAIR
5K WHITE HIGH OUTPUT 21 LED BACK-UP LIGHT 7440 1000LM | 1 PAIR

Rear - 3rd Brake Light:
1 x 921_15_R1 - RED 15 LED HIGH POWER 3RD BRAKE LIGHT BULB 921 | 1 EACH
RED 15 LED HIGH POWER 3RD BRAKE LIGHT BULB 921 | 1 EACH (BACKORDER)

Rear - Cargo Lights:
1 x 921_15_W_5K - 5K WHITE 15 LED HIGH POWER BULBS 917 918 920 921 922 923 579 500LM | 1 PAIR
5K WHITE 15 LED HIGH POWER BULBS 917 918 920 921 922 923 579 500LM | 1 PAIR

Rear - License Plate Lights:
Enough for two cars, plus some extras
1 x Only® Newest, 20pcs, W5w 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050 White High Power Car Lights Bulb,brighter,green Energy, Lower Heat, Eco-friendly,better Quality,longer Life (20pcs - T10 - 5smd)
Amazon.com: Only® Newest, 20pcs, W5w 194 168 2825 T10 Wedge 5-smd 5050 White High Power Car Lights Bulb,brighter,green Energy, Lower Heat, Eco-friendly,better Quality,longer Life (20pcs - T10 - 5smd): Automotive

Rear - Turn Signal Load Resistors:
Instead of installing 6 Ohm resistors on each corner, I just installed 3 Ohm resistors in the rear. No more hyperflash!
1 x Amico 2 x Chassis Mounted 50W 3 Ohm 5% Aluminum Case Wirewound Resistors
Amico 2 x Chassis Mounted 50W 3 Ohm 5% Aluminum Case Wirewound Resistors: Single Resistors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

#23 ·
Not a fan of the newest gen tundra but I like yours. Probably because even though I love chrome, the new gen just doesn't look good with chrome. Plus it's white and even though I am a minority, I submit to the white.

Reactions: StevenD and $h@ki
#28 · (Edited)
Well, put this in the category of "I will NEVER do again!"

I was not at all happy with the light output of the XenonDepot H4 LEDs. So, I knew an HID retrofit was in order.

I initially contacted @pazorell69 about retrofitting my factory lights. I also got a quote from @ToyotaOfCoolSprings for a new set of factory lights. I really didn't want to mess with my factory lights just in case something went wrong, or I had to uninstall the HIDs for whatever reason.

I then discovered that aftermarket 1794/Platinum lights were available for significantly less than replacement Toyota lights. I had a spare weekend, so I decided to order them, and the retrofit kit from TheRetrofitSource.com.

All the instructions on here and youtube were incredibly helpful, but they make it look WAY too easy.

Here are the aftermarket lights I used. They are specifically for the 1794/Platinums, so they have the leveling motors and LED DRLs. Honestly, side by side, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between these and the factory lights. For $470 delivered, you can't go wrong! The other advantage these have over factory lights, they use butyl to seal them, not PermaSeal, so they are much easier to take apart.

Amazon.com: TYC 20-9500-00 Toyota Tundra Left Replacement Head Lamp

Amazon.com: TYC 20-9499-00 Toyota Tundra Right Replacement Head Lamp

Here is what I ordered from TheRetroFitSource:
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S)

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III (D2S) 1 $327.00
Bi-xenon Projectors 2 x D2S 3.0: (O Lens/LHD) $0.00
Compatible Ballasts 2 x Morimoto XB35 (35W) $0.00
Ballast Igniters (Required) 2 x Morimoto XB Igniter (D2S) $0.00
D2S HID Bulbs 2 x D2S: XB 5500K $0.00
Shroud Style (Preference) 2 x Apollo 3.0 $0.00
Harness (Match stock bulb size) 1 x MotoControl Bixenon: H4/9003 $0.00
Headlight Sealant 1 x Black: RetroRubber $12.00

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the results. The output is 1,000,000x better than the LED H4s.

Let me say it again...while I'm fairly happy with the results, and its nice to get a finished product for my efforts, if I had to do it over again, I would send them to Marco in a heartbeat!

I think I need to lower my drivers side headlight a little bit.

dd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.