*Update* 2/12/2015, please see Post #2

+ Icon Stage II coilovers
+ Coachbuilder +2 shackles
+ 1.5" Bora wheel spacers
+ 295/70 R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers

*Update* 2/18/2016, end of Post #2

+ SDHQ Hidden Winch front bumper system
+ Warn Platinum Zeon 10-s
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What's up Tundratalk! I'm happy to be starting my own build thread now. Suppose I could've started one awhile ago, but I wanted to make a decent amount of progress before I started posting up pictures. I have pictures in a couple other places on the forums but figure it's time to consolidate.

So here it is, yet another aspiring Stormtrooper. Bought this beauty back in Oct 2013 after trading in my '13 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road. Glad I did too, because the Tacoma doesn't hold a candle to my Tundra in any way. At first I wasn't thrilled about the olive green interior, but it's definitely grown on me and now I like it a lot. Can't imagine buying any other truck and getting this much comfort/performance/reliability for the money.

Quick spot for the Tacoma

The day I bought it, Oct '13

Threw a Snugtop Rebel shell on the back, loaded the dogs up, and drove from Phoenix to Missouri just a couple short months later. We ALL froze our butts off. It rained like hell the first night we arrived then dropped to freezing temperatures the following morning.

After very careful consideration (and ample searching on the forums), my next mod was to install some steps. Decided on Iron Cross HD's.

They fit great and are sturdy as hell. I occasionally have some hefty passengers but they stand up to the added weight handily. The only thing I didn't like about them was the brushed metal treadplates, so I had them powdercoated flat black.

Couple random pictures of my truck towing my old 1982 Datsun 720 4x4 king cab. Had to tow it from Phoenix up in the Payson mountain country to where I live now. Could barely tell anything was back there;)

Tread plates are missing because they were out for powdercoat

Next on the list: GET RID OF THE CHROME. I love the shape of the '14 redesign, but not the excess chrome plastered all over the front. Way too much bling for my taste.

So I disassembled the front end, and...

Sent the bumper ends off to powdercoat

Picked up an OEM platinum grill from local Toyota dealer, but replaced the platinum insert with my SR5 factory piece. Call me crazy but I like the SR5 grill better. The clips attaching the insert to the surround were so much of a PITA I ended up snapping them all off to separate the two. As it turns out, they didn't make a difference in sturdiness when remounting the setup on the truck, there were plenty of attachment points left to make a sound assembly.

At the same time all this is going on, I sent my headlights out to our very own Marco Pazorell out in Louisiana to get my BHLM/retrofit done. I have nothing but good things to say about his work, communication, and commitment to providing the product that YOU want. After a couple conversations with him and several texts back and forth, I settled on G37 shrouds with amber halos and a 5k HID projector setup.

A photo of my headlights with all the parts ready to go in, courtesy of Marco

A few progress pictures as he worked on them

Here's a shot of the halos next to the factory halogen turns.

But I opted for some LED replacements that would have a more consistent amber color of the adjacent halos

Because my color match pieces were ready faster then the headlights, I couldn't help but mock them up just to see for myself how it was going to look

Looked a little sloppy, but I was pretty excited to finally see it without all the chrome :D

And finally, FINALLY, after a couple tortuous return trips back to Marco due to repairs needed after sustaining shipping damage (f@$king UPS), my headlights are back!

Under panel not clipped in all the way, I know

Night shot

Shop dogs are exhausted

I'm very happy with my setup for now, but am waiting patiently on Bilstein to start shipping out 5100's again so I can mount up my Method Mesh 20x9 +18 offset wheels wrapped with some humble 305/55 Toyo AT II's. I'll post em back up as soon as I get em! It's been two months, but from what I hear it's probably gonna be another 3-4 weeks :banghead:

I started out with some lofty ambitions for the truck but have decided to restrain my spending after the wheels/tires/Bilsteins are installed. But after awhile I'd like to install a remote start, 46 gal Transfer Flow fuel tank, and maybe a train horn>:D

Feedback is welcome! Thanks for looking! Updates to follow.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
*Update 2/12/2015*

+ 295/70 R18 Nitto Trail Graps

BEFORE, sitting outside of Discount Tire with stock tires, Icons, shackles, and wheel spacers.

AFTER, tires installed. I took a buncha pictures from different angles so anyone considering a similar setup can get a feel for what it would look like.

*UPDATE 2/18/2016*

SDHQ Hidden Winch system + Warn Platinum Zeon 10-s!

I feel very privileged that SDHQ took my truck to fab up their hidden winch system with. It's been at their shop for the last couple weeks getting worked on, and I just caught that Jason posted this picture in their sponsor thread. Just have one, but there are surely more to come.

Thanks SDHQ!

#26 ·
*Update 2/12/2015*

+ 295/70 R18 Nitto Trail Graps

BEFORE, sitting outside of Discount Tire with stock tires, Icons, shackles, and wheel spacers.

AFTER, tires installed. I took a buncha pictures from different angles so anyone considering a similar setup can get a feel for what it would look like.

Truck looks excellent dude I love the look!!!! If your up in show low area anytime soon let me know I would love to see that truck in person! What kind of mpg hit did u take with those new tires?

Reactions: benboosted
#3 ·
Really nice looking truck... kinda makes me think I should've went with white. You got a nice mix of where you went with black pieces to contrast the white. I hated the black SR5 grill insert on my truck but looks great on the front of your truck. I need to have Paz whip me up a set of lights.

#4 ·
Thanks bro. I've always been a big fan of the black/white contrast look, but think that a good BHLM setup is always a good idea;) Hit Marco up for sure! He's great to work with.

#5 ·
I just bought a '14 CM SR5 4x4 in white and I have to say I really like the grille combination you put together there. I'm not a big fan of the Platinum grille either but I do want the color match surround so I might go with that route down the road. Nice lookin' truck!

Chad

#10 ·
#11 ·
I actually do have them, just haven't installed em yet. I quite after installing color matched door handles all the way around...gave up on trying to install the color matched mirror caps lol

And I seriously considered waiting for the TRD Pro grill to come out and install that instead, but decided against it. Don't want to rock the grill, fenders, or other Pro specific parts because it's just not a TRD Pro

#12 ·
Helpful hint for when I installed mine.

Angle your power mirror glass all the way down for both mirrors. Then grab a bright flashlight and flathead screwdriver. Shine the light in the gap at the top of the mirror behind the glass and you'll see two tabs at the top. Push in those tabs with the screwdriver and the cap just pops off. REAL easy. Both sides took 10min! :)

#13 ·
Thx Fireman! I'll give it shot today

#14 ·
Nice truck man. I was wondering if you can put the sr5 grill in the platinum surround. I prefer the look of the sr5 grill.

#16 ·
Yep you can. The tabs that keep the two together aren't meant to be separated and reattached for mixing and matching grills with surrounds, but I found that there are plenty of attachment points elsewhere that keep everything solid when remounted to the truck.

Would do again.

#17 ·
Thanks bud!

#19 ·
Not at all.

When you pop out the the platinum grill, the tabs don't really survive the process. When you slide in the SR5 grill in it fits just fine even though there aren't tabs to bite, but the bolts that hold the entire assembly in make for a solid mount to the truck and everything looks/works just fine.

Reactions: Millwright
#21 ·
Thanks Shadow

#24 ·
Truck looks great!!! I'm not to far away I live up in snowflake!
Thanks fellas!

Muley, I actually frequent through Show Low quite a bit! Don't see many Tundras in that area:seeya:

Reactions: Muleycrazy13
#23 ·
Truck looks great!!! I'm not to far away I live up in snowflake!

#25 ·
Bump for added pictures

#27 ·
That's a great looking Tundra!

What did you use to cover the chrome? Paint or plastic stuff?

#28 ·
Looks awesome...but I'm partial to the storm trooper look myself.

#30 ·
Me too!:headbanger:

#32 ·
Your truck makes me wish that i got white. Looks awesome!

Reactions: benboosted
#34 ·
I love me some white! Especially now that the chrome has been wiped from the front fascia.
Those tires require the lift?
yessir, it does. 34.3" of that meat wouldn't fit unless you raise it up some. 2" lift in the front, in my case.

#36 ·
As detailed with pictures on the first page, the grill surround is an OEM platinum grill purchased from Toyota, which comes already painted.

As for the door handles, they were purchased from TRD Sparks. Technically I think they're Seqouia handles and come pre-painted.

#42 ·
Just nuts n bolts, my friend. Nothing too difficult. If you check out a couple threads here on the boards, some people have posted step by step pictures how to get the headlight/grill removed. From there you just move down to the bumper.

I took my front bumper off as one unit then dismantled it further by taking the bumper ends off. What you see pictured in my first post with pictures of the separated bumper ends are all I sent to the powder coater.

Powder coating FTW.

#44 ·
@benboosted where can I find marco lol? an how much roughly was your headlights?
I want to get them retro fitted and oracle halos put in mine

#47 ·
The headlights were roughly $1200, IIRC. Have you tried his cell phone? He does something for work out of country sometimes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.