Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

White_Sherpa II- Build Thread

83K views 163 replies 46 participants last post by  xtyfighterx 
#1 · (Edited)
White_Sherpa II- Build

New to the forum, but long time Toyota owner. Had an FJ, did the whole build thread over on the forum, thought I would start one here, as I'll probably be getting to the mod's shortly :D

Here's my previous build, I did over at the FJ forum:

White_Sherpa- Build Thread - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Got a few things in mind for the Tundra (White_Sherpa II), suspension going on very soon, I'll post more shortly.

Dealer

2014 CrewMax 4X4 Non-FFV
SR5 Package (Entune)
Factory Bed-Rails
Tint (Dealer added no charge)
3M Stone Guard (Dealer added no charge)

Suspension

Front: Icon Remote Res 2.5 Coilovers
Rear: Icon Piggy Back 2.5
UCA: Camburg
CB +1 Shackles
Firestone 2445 Rear Airbag kit with Daystar Airbag Cradle
BMC
Spindle Gussets: TC
Alcan Progressive Rate Leaf Springs

Engine

aFe Pro5 Filter
aFe oem intake tube replacment
BAMuffler 8" Standard

Wheels/Tires

Method Standards +18 Offset
Toyo Open Country ATII 295/70/18
Spidertrax 1.25" Front Spacer only

Other Mods:

Viair-400c with 2 Gallon Tank
Rigid Dullay Fog Light Conversion Mounts
RetroFit- HID 5000K Projector Lights
Grille Trim Plasti Dip White with Glossifier
Bumper Caps Front/Rear Powder Coated
Rigid D2 Fog light mount conversion
Rigid Grill/D2 Spots and 20" Combo Light Bar

See less See more
#2 ·
I looked through your whole fj build, very nice work. I love the looks of the fj but couldn't talk the wife into one, she thinks they are ugly for some reason. If your last build is any indication your tundra is going to be killer.

#4 · (Edited)
www.theretrofitsource.com (Retro Fit Install & Parts)

Parts are starting to come in, first up is the HID Retro Fit Conversion from #theretrofitsource .com

-MoriMoto DS2 Stage III 3.0" Lens. (These things are massive)
-5K Kelvin
-Apollo 3 Shroud
-Amber Halo's

I'll be doing the retro myself as I've done a few in the past. More pictures to follow of the conversion.

Edit: Reading through some of the BHLM, the sealant seems like a PITA to take apart. I'll do a bit more reading, before I tackle this.

Should be getting the Icon Piggy Back 2.5 and Coilovers in the next week :D I've been waiting 4 weeks for them to build, but all worth the wait.

More to come....

#6 ·
Nice Fj! My son has one and may pick your brain about it. Enjoy your Tundra and looking forward to your build.

Reactions: AZTUNDRA25
#7 · (Edited)
So I finished the Retro on the headlights, people weren't lying when they said this is a Bitch. Wow, probably the hardest thing I've done. Getting the headlights apart were the most difficult part of it all with the Perma-seal, This stuff is like concrete and not easy to work with, like the other Toyo's I've done.

I spent a total of 2 days with 4-5 hours per head light, getting them apart, cleaning and painting them. Here are a few pictures of the finished product, still need to wire up the LED's just need to find a power source when the truck is on (Fuse Panel/Add-Fuse)? BTW, I disabled the DRL, cut the Purple wire, so now I will only have the Halo's on (Amber as DRL) and still have blinker function.

[URL=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/ckasprowicz25/media/40FF0BBF-8C48-495F-AF68-D9AA6A6194BD.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Happy with the outcome and first mod on the White_Sherpa II.

#12 ·
Headlights came out awesome man! Glad I could be of some help. I like what you did with the retro and may have to ping on your for more information there, since my headlights will come back apart very easily if I want to do the retro. Looks great!

#14 · (Edited)
Finally. My Icon's arrive today :D

Looking to start the install sometime next week or the following. Still need to purchase wheels/tires as well, but hope to have it lifted by the first week of August.

Here's my layout of the suspension/components

Front: Icon Remote Res 2.5
+1 Coachbuilt Shackle
Firestone Air Suspension
Alcan Progressive Spring Pack

#16 · (Edited)
TC Gussets Install

Got the suspension completed yesterday, haven't been able to post any pictures though, but everything turned out great. Ran in to a bit of a problem with the Icon Coilovers. Running the +2 CB Shackles and having the overload spring in the rear, still made the rear taller than I wanted, which also put me at max height on the coilovers along with stressing the rebound.

Even though I could run them at a 3-3.5" setting, I didn't feel comfortable with the coilover being so compressed. I reached out to Dave (nothing but positive praise about this guy, he know's his stuff) from CB and spoke with him regarding the rear and what I could do in the interim, since I'll be ordering Alcan in a few months. I/we decided to pull the helper/overload spring from the back and that dropped the rear 3/4", which in turn, I was able to lower the front to a more reasonable level, without putting stress on the components. This worked out well, as I'm running rear air bags to help with towing and the ride didn't change at all. I was at 42-1/2" all the way around, now I'm at 41-3/4"

Anyways, I'll snap a few photo's of the setup and post them shortly:

Here's is one I was able to take after the TC Gussets got welded on. The spindles seem rock solid now:D

#20 · (Edited)
Icon Coilovers and Rear 2.5 Piggy's Installed- Camburg UCA

As promised, here are some pictures of the lift and wheels.

Suspension

Front: Icon Remote Res 2.5 Coilovers
Firestone 2445 Rear Airbag kit with Daystar Airbag cradle
Spindle Gussets: TC
Rear Overload/Helper Spring Removed

Wheels/Tires

Method Standards +18 Offset
Toyo Open Country ATII 295/70/18 (No BMC/No Need) A bit of rubbing up front on fender

#23 · (Edited)
Couple more pictures of the rear setup:

Wheelers Offroad makes a really nice front bump stop. I've used them before on the FJ and was the same fit for the Tundra. This will defiantly soften the rebound up front and make is smoother, a defiant recommendation!!

Front Suspension:

#97 ·
Couple more pictures of the rear setup:

Wheelers Offroad makes a really nice front bump stop. I've used them before on the FJ and was the same fit for the Tundra. I just needed to order another pair as the Tundra takes 2 per side. This will defiantly soften the rebound up front and make is smoother, a defiant recommendation!!

Front Suspension:

love the truck!!!
question on the wheelers bumps, how do you like them? do you think they soften up the bottoming out hit compared to the OEM bumps?

#25 · (Edited)
SPod on a Budget-Viair Compressor Install

Finally got around to installing the on-board air and my rendition of the SPOD :D

The biggest challenge I had with mounting the on-board air was routing the wires. There are only a few places you can get away with, running the wires in-front of the bed. I was able to patch through the rear lower left inside panel and make it a clean install. All wires are hidden.

The tank was mounted to the right of the gas tank towards the front of the bed. While it did take me a bit to figure out the best location for the 400C (#Viair) compressor, I ended up mounting it to the inside of the chassis/parallel to the rear tire. Compressor fit well and ran the air outlet hose to the right of the bed.

The Blue-Sea Fuse/Relay panel breaker (150 Amp) I made, I ran on my FJ and worked well. Even though the SPOD is sleek with a plug-in-play feature, couldn't come to paying the $450 for the unit even though it comes with the switch eye-glass/location panel.

#26 · (Edited)
Duplicolor OEM SuperWhite #040 . There is a slight offset from the original, but I'm happy with it. Still need to polish it, so I think it may pop a bit since there is also a slight dullness to it.

Rattle can Paint/Clear $50, Autobody $350, Hmmmm ;) I guess I can always paint it Black if I don't like it down the road :D

Next are the front/rear chrome bumpers

#28 ·
Sub'd, lookin' real good so far! Just picked up a white '14 CM so looking for mod inspiration ;)

Chad

#29 ·
Subbed

#30 ·
Finally got the compressor switch from the link which was provided in one of the threads.

items in on board air usa store on eBay!

Fits like a glove in the factory slot, and matches perfectly with the Blue lighting. I'll defiantly be adding these switches, once I add on my lighting up front.

#34 ·
^^ I've only ran Icon's in my vehicles and they handle good for what I use them for. The Icon's tend to be a bit stiff up front, so added weight (bumper) will help to soften them up a bit.

I have noticed with the Tundra, that the coilovers seem to be more tuned with less stiffness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.