adding sub and amp to factory jbl stereo - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
adding sub and amp to factory jbl stereo

soo after reading and searching for a good hour ive found nothing .... i seen something about a line converter but what one and how do i go about hooking it up ? ..... o ya heres what i plan to use dont laugh it was in my 4runner which i no longer use .. fi ssd 12 custom box and sun down sae 1200d

07 tundra 5.7L 4x4 limited dc was my moms r.i.p 3/19/11
debadged 3/2 lift with 35" nitto trail grapplers m/t afe stage 2 intake jba shorty headers rear cats deleted y piped single bbk varitune muffler short 3"'out dumped after rear axle with a 5" tip

Last edited by Elton; 09-21-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanked 7,839 Times in 3,823 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
the fi's are no laughing matter... if i had an suv again it would be 2 fi btl's most likely, instead of some flat/slim subs behind the seat lol.

as far as line level convertors, they do all do about the same thing, however some do it better than others.

i have an offer that i can't really refuse right now for a free alpine sub/box and amp combo...

i want to do 2 ib flat 10's, and a jl hd900/5, but the free stuff will be likely going in for now...

im planning on using an req or an req-5 ( the 5 channel version) it basically helps fix the funky bass issues most loc's have, where the bass response is louder down low, but then tapers off towards the top from the stock system pulling bass...

that said, i did run a stinger slocII in my fj when i had an rf power t10001bd and 2 jl w6v2's... it worked fine. i pulled the high level input signal from the factory sub in that.

it did fine. this link is the newer version i guess...

Stinger Electronics | Product Details

this is the re-q page... re-Q - Take control of your factory stereo!

there are other options, but the price goes up from what i have posted, you look like your only going for more bass for now, either will do what ya wanna do imo and be cost efficient.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 18,364 Times in 7,188 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
"Amp Up" Your Factory System

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (09-21-2011)
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 PM

yes, that is prolly a better explanation with more options than i would ever think of listing lol

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
good stuff i was gonna keep it simple but i mean the darn sub and amp are just sitting in my closet doing nothing

debadged 3/2 lift with 35" nitto trail grapplers m/t afe stage 2 intake jba shorty headers rear cats deleted y piped single bbk varitune muffler short 3"'out dumped after rear axle with a 5" tip
#6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
ok box fits good across the seat and just enough room left over for one seat !

#7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton View Post
good stuff i was gonna keep it simple but i mean the darn sub and amp are just sitting in my closet doing nothing
This is probably the easiest way. I have done it several times to factory systems.

You just got a neat gift from a relative — an amplifier for your factory stereo. Trouble is, it doesn't have speaker-level inputs.

There's no reason to be a "re-gifter." Simply pick up an inexpensive line output converter. This is a small device that converts the high-voltage, speaker-level signal to a preamp-level signal that's acceptable to your amp. An "LOC" consists of a transformer and a high-voltage resistor. The converter connects to your amp using a standard RCA patch cable. The transformer should be grounded; most line output converters have a wire for that purpose. They also usually have an adjustable gain feature for you to tweak the output.

Installing an amp can involve a bit of elbow grease. But a successful installation might well leave you grinning ear-to-ear the next time someone challenges you to "Name That Lyric."

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

#8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
ok soo can i just use the 2 wires going to the factory sub for the converter and where do i get a wire for the remote turn on ??? .... also im gonna have to back off the settings on the amp i had the big 3 with 2ga wire and 140amp alternator and it still dimmed my lights lol

#9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

I don't know what the factory jbl system has but if it has a powered sub, maybe probe those wires to see what turns the factory amp on and wire it to that. It is just a trigger that turns the amp on so it isn't on all the time.

H. L. Mencken

#10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 PM

somewhere there is a diagram of where to pick up signal, im pretty sure i saw it here, maybe look thru the audio section.

it was for a jbl too, in the fj the sub had its own amp and i picked up the input side to the amp, it was still high level side, but not the amp'd side. i was also able to find the 12v turn on lead ...

i think the jbl is different, figure out where the amp is for the sub first and go from there.

i was kinda planning the opposite, i was going to do a full 5 channel amp and repl all door speakers, components in the front, coaxials rear, and the subs, but for free to me sub and amp i can't bitch. if nothing else it will get me in the audio mood again and ill be motivated enough to do what i wanna do.

I like weapons.
#11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
ya im not fond of the factory nav unit it sucks but i rather not dump a good 1500 dollars into the stereo it sounds good to me just needs more bass lol

#12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 PM

see, im fine with the factory h-u (non jbl, no nav) just i need more bass, and more total volume, but like teh bluetooth and steer wheel controls, i could make them function with a diff h-u, but the clarion one i like is nla, and i would need a swi-jack to make the steering wheel buttons work, and may still lose some functions, and then have to wire a mic into the h-u when i already have one built in...

plus my budget for audio is about 1500-1700, not starting @ `1500-1700 and going up lol.

I like weapons.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
subscribed I will be doing this shortly, search the forum for budget build. you should see something. I will keep you posted on the route I go.

Johnny R

'08 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC

Pro Comp Stage 1, 20" Chrome MotoMetal 956's, 35/12.5/20 Toyo M/T's, K&N Intake, N-Fab SS Steps, RBP RX2 Grille
#14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
o ya prob wont happen anytime soon gotta get a clutch put in my car... and i still need to get some 1/0 ga from KnuKonceptz

#15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
screw it ordered everything i needed lol cant wait

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion