Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2008 Double Cab Custom Install

50K views 107 replies 44 participants last post by  Rmplstlskn 
#1 · (Edited)
2008 Double Cab Custom Install (w/pics)

3/27/10: I wanted to write a short update at the top. I have ended up switching all of the equipment below in the opening post, excpet two pieces. Read the whole thread to see how it has gone down.

Latest equipment list:

Orion 2150SX
2- 12" SI BM mkIII's
Sundown SAX 100.4
Hertz HSK 163
Pioneer DEH-P6100BT
Extensive sound deadening from SOUNDDEADENINGSHOWDOWN.COM
Homeade RCA's
Lots of techflex and soldering

--------

12/28/2009

Hello,

I just got a 2008 Tundra Double Cab non JBL.

I am going to install an aftermarket stereo. The subs will be the only new component not used in a previous vehicle.

My wish list includes a Double DIN Blu Ray headunit and red leather fabric for sub enclosure.

Here is the line up:

Polk Mobile Monitor Series 1040D, mount depth is 4 1/2" so they are pretty shallow.

Pioneer DEH-P6100BT, Bluetooth and I-Pod interface.

Infinity Reference 6.5

Infinty Kappa 6x9

Orion 2150 SX for subs

Eclipse 3640 for 6x9's and 6 1/2's

Power Cap by Pyramid

Somewhere in my dad's garage I might find two Eclipse 3 1/4s for the dash still attached to some old kick panels from my Cuda in high school.

See less See more
#6 ·
Cool. My truck is a 2010 in the same color. I started on my sub enclosure this week and I will be painting it the same color as the truck. I will be running 2 Stereo Integrity BM 12sealed or 2 Re Audio sl 10s ported . not sure yet. I am going to try them both and will probably end up with Bl 12s.Keep us posted with pics.

#7 · (Edited)
BTW I have some subs for sale: 2x JL AUDIO 12w0 8ohm in sealed box. $175

Did some more wire clean ups. I got the Orion amp from a police auction in 1997. The main power, remote power, ground, and speaker outs all were cut very short (<2") by the person who last "had" the amp before the police got it. I am waiting for some 8ga wire to arrive to finish the Orion, but I cut out the 90's era crimp connections on the leads and replaced them with solid solder butt connectors and heat shrink tubing and added female connectors tothe ends to ease any future movement. The Orion has a pin style connector and whos knows if I could ever find another if the wires were to keep getting shorter on every install. I think this amp was new in 1992.

I also put some male connectors on the back of the Pioneer:

Subs came in the mail, they are really beefy.

Started some dissasembly:

Here are the factory 6.5's, they weigh about 10 oz's:

I have started some mounting brackets and will show them in the next update. The dash kit came today too.

#9 ·
A few days ago I decided to try and make my own rear door brackets. They turned out fine, except they are to thick and the flanges hit the door panel. I could cut down the flanges on the particle board to about 1/4", but that would make them pretty weak. I could make them out of a hard wood, or hard ply, but I already spent an hour or two cutting these out and got sawdust on everything in the gargae. I am over it, so I decided to just order some plastic ones. I read a few bad reviews about the ones Crutchfield sells, so I got some off eBay. They look right to me:

Other goodies in the mail:

Wire Harness Kit:

Wires; including 20' of 4ga. 4ga was $3.85 a foot in town, but I found some combo deals on eaby for about $25.

I have broke three so far,so I ordered some more clips:

Found the 3 1/4's out in my Dad's garage:

And lastly I made the template for the amp rack on some blue insulation board. I transfered the measurements over to particle board but will cut it out tomorrow.

I made it 52" x 24".

#11 ·
The only thing I have done for this project in the last ten days is spend more money. I have decided to take this install to a higher standard. I am changing some components and doing some other things. I have a new 4-way amp coming, new subs, more fuses, sturdier enclosure, and better wiring.
The truck was at my dealership for the last 2 ½ days of my 3 days off I had this week. As part of the deal when I bought the truck the Toyota body shop was going to repair a dent in the rear quarter behind the wheel that had a some rust forming in the crease of the dent. Also, the day I test drove the truck the battery was dead. We jump boxed it and all was fine. Then about a week later in 15 degree weather and six inches of snow the battery was dead again. I told them to get me a new battery, but when I picked the truck up they said it started for them with no problems all day long; it has been warmer the last few days. I say something like “Well, I will just wait for it to be dead again and jump it while standing in the freeze and snow then call back then.” So they decided to hook it up to a battery analyzer to prove me wrong. Cold cranking amps were in the 400’s should have been in the 700’s. I drove out with a new battery installed for $0.

I took this Saturday off to watch Colts, but that is at night so I will try to do some work in the day. I will post progress when it comes.

Teaser:

#18 ·
Thanks for all the compliments to date.

Yes, Sundown SAX 100.4

Looks good man, I never heard of a blu ray head unit before!
They are just coming out at shows. I think Panasonic is supposed to have one later this year.

If you don't mind telling us, how much did you pay for the clips?
$8.99 + shipping for 15 off eBay

#16 ·
Looks good man, I never heard of a blu ray head unit before!

#20 ·
Got most of the box done, just waiting for the subs to cut out the holes. The subs will be flush mount or lower if possible.

First time ever using the router to cut a groove. The box will be seperated there:

Tight but SI 12's will fit:

Test fit, nothing secured yet:

Bottom and sides are screwed and glued. Top laid on for test fit in truck. Accidently grooved the wrong side of the top at first:banghead:

#22 · (Edited)
Started the teardown for sound deadening. My funds are limited so I split up my order at SOUNDDEADENERSHOWDOWN. I decided to get everything for the floor first. Don @ sounddeadnershowdown is really helpful. I just gave him some measurements and he put together an order for the whole truck along with step-by-step installation recommendations and tips.

I got out to the truck at 8 am and stopped work at 1 am. I stopped for meals and rum and coke refills.

It was raining much of the day. The truck wouldn't start after the teardown. So, I put a heavy tarp over the two open driver's side doors in an attempt to stay dry. About an hour later I realized I had tried to start the truck with the key to the wife's Rav 4:blush:...hey the keys look a like. I was finally able to squeeze half the truck into the garage to get out of the rain.

I decided to put CLD tiles over the stock Toyota "deadener" material. I figured it would have taken 2-3 hours to scrape and vacuum the whole mess out.

First panel of CCF with the tools I used.

I couldn't resist trying out a piece of MLV before the CCF was done.

CCF done. To keep things in place and seems lined up I used some duct tape. It didn't stick much at first but I used the roller on the tape and it worked well.

MLV basically done. After rolling around in the cab of my truck with all this stuff and Captain Morgan for around 15 hours I feel like I wrestled a elephant.

I got the front carpet back in and have had to trim some edges here and there on the MLV. My current seat is still my rolling shop stool, but I'm going out soon to put the front seat back in and start the main power wire.

#25 ·
Dammmmmiiiit!!!looking good!!! but jeez you gonna blow all your windows off!!:D

#28 ·
Looks really good! I bet it'll sound even better! Does anyone know if a JBL equipped Tundra could handle the speaker upgrades without additional amp upgrades? Would it be advisible?

#29 ·
I would think that you could always upgrade the JBL factory with some real aftermarket speakers and it will sound better no matter what. But for about 200-300 hundred more you could get a small amp and headunit and do much better.

#30 ·
Next change to the Tundra equipment line up. Infinity Kappa 6x9 and Infinity Reference 6.5 out and new 3 ways in:

HSK 163's. Since the front doors from the factory were 6x9's, I am considering mounting the 6.5's and 3's in the space of the 6x9's with some custom baffles and the tweets at the top of the door panel. The dash has speaker mounts on the top corners. The 3's or tweets would fit there but they are aimed right at the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.