User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Amp install with OEM Stereo PICS! PICS!

I want to install an aftermarket amp to give the OEM system some juice. I already upgraded all of the speakers, but there isn't enough power pushing them. I want to keep from cutting into the existing wires and wanted to get 2 harnesses, one that will plug into the OEM stereo and one that will receive the existing harness, so theoretically, I can make all my connections in between the two harnesses without cutting any factory wires. I don't know if that made any sense, but what my question is, do these harnesses exist and where can I get them? I've seen a few harnesses for installing aftermarket stereos, so that should work for one, I just need the one that plugs into the stereo. Anyone have any model numbers that I should look at?

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------
THE AFTERMATH!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------

Here is the installed amp, it looks and sounds great:

Under the rear seat, I mounted the amp to a 12"x12"x3/4" piece of wood, and slipped it in there. It's nice and tight in there, looks really clean, and I didn't have to remove the seats at all. I'm using the seat belt bolt in front of the amp for a ground. I also used a D-Block in case I decide to add another amp for a sub later, but it sounds great just powering the new speakers in the doors and dash.

Power connection to the battery with a 50amp fuse

Power going into the cab through the firewall grommet. I used a razor blade to put a whole in this one and the grommet on the inside just above the brake, then used a wire hanger to feed it through.

Last edited by thisguyinoc; 08-20-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Installed!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thisguyinoc For This Useful Post:
blainepoe (08-24-2009), EmmEff (12-13-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM
"Señor Member"

wow. dunno if anything like that exists. I'm almost positive a lot of cutting/splicing will be involved with what you wanna do.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I do not believe such a thing exists. If you run an amplifier that only has pre-outs, then you'll need a line output convertor which converts speaker level imputs to RCA. Tap into the rear channels on your deck, and you'll be fine.

"Obsession is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

2010 Yamaha Nytro XTX Supercharged
2000 YZF-R1 Drag Bike

2009 CanAm Renegade 800X

2008 Toyota Tundra DC Limited 4x4

The King of the North
#4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM

A JL Cleansweep does exactly what you're looking for. And, it gives you a better, cleaner, and stronger signal to your amplifiers. I did this to my wifes van because she wanted to keep the factory deck, and it sounds like a true aftermarket system.

The cheaper route would be to get a line level converter though, like Valin said, and that will convert your line outputs into RCA connections so you can run RCA's to your amps. Rear channel wires is where you'll find the lower bass signals....like Valin said.

2005 Limited, 4.7L 4x4, Double Cab.

My latest Hwy mileage is 20.72........as of 11/11/09 Custom Fiberglass Enclosure, by me.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyinoc View Post
I want to install an aftermarket amp to give the OEM system some juice. I already upgraded all of the speakers, but there isn't enough power pushing them. I want to keep from cutting into the existing wires and wanted to get 2 harnesses, one that will plug into the OEM stereo and one that will receive the existing harness, so theoretically, I can make all my connections in between the two harnesses without cutting any factory wires. I don't know if that made any sense, but what my question is, do these harnesses exist and where can I get them? I've seen a few harnesses for installing aftermarket stereos, so that should work for one, I just need the one that plugs into the stereo. Anyone have any model numbers that I should look at?

Thanks!
Yes there is . Is this Non jbl assume?
If so from best kits you need a BHA1761 and a BHO1761 .
The A stand for aftermarket the O stands for OEM
#6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrpm View Post
A JL Cleansweep does exactly what you're looking for. And, it gives you a better, cleaner, and stronger signal to your amplifiers. I did this to my wifes van because she wanted to keep the factory deck, and it sounds like a true aftermarket system.

The cheaper route would be to get a line level converter though, like Valin said, and that will convert your line outputs into RCA connections so you can run RCA's to your amps. Rear channel wires is where you'll find the lower bass signals....like Valin said.
Clean sweep is good but overpriced and the volume thing would bug me.
The Peripheral PCH8 is a better piece and it works so well you would never know the radio is factory . Trust me its the bomb!!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 PM

You are right about the extra volume knob.....and that is why I don't use it. It's not necessary to mount and use. I set it where it needs to be, hide it, and then use the regular volume knob.

Overpriced? That's very subjective.....but for me it was worth it for the signal it gives me.

I don't know anything about the Peripheral PCH8. I take it that your experience with it has been really good eh?

2005 Limited, 4.7L 4x4, Double Cab.

My latest Hwy mileage is 20.72........as of 11/11/09 Custom Fiberglass Enclosure, by me.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrpm View Post
You are right about the extra volume knob.....and that is why I don't use it. It's not necessary to mount and use. I set it where it needs to be, hide it, and then use the regular volume knob.

Overpriced? That's very subjective.....but for me it was worth it for the signal it gives me.

I don't know anything about the Peripheral PCH8. I take it that your experience with it has been really good eh?
Honestly The cleansweep is a good piece.The problem with setting the volume controll and using the factory control is floor noise. Most would never hear it because you pretty much only hear it between tracks or with a zero bit track but I have sensitive hearing and it would drive me crazy to not use the cleansweep knob because I would be listening for the floor noise.
Now the Pch8 will also have this floor noise if its not gained correctly. LOL its just part of all the Iasca Judges training seminars I taught in the 90s.

The PCH8 is the cleanest piece I have used . I have used the JL cleansweep , the Rf 360 , The MTX req , The audiocontroll piece and few others. We scoped and Rta,d the output and metered them and the peripheral could be adjusted from 2 volts to 11 volts and it really smoothed the freq response on vehicles like the Nissan RF system or Infinity Bose that limits bass output. It has a summing feature thats a must on the Nissan Rf, Mercedes E and Sclass , Bmw and others .
#9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,646 Times in 861 Posts
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Both valin and tech are correct. What I would do is run the wires from the factory radio, that would be the BHO harness, to the amp location. If the amp has high level inputs you can just plug right in. If not then you would use the line level converter. Then run another set of wires back up to the dash and into the factory speaker wires, the BHA harness. The power leads on the harnesses would just be connected together. If you can find a product called speedwire it will help a lot.

2008 CrewMax Limited 5.7 / Slate Metallic
#10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 PM

So how do the best kit harnesses work?? Does one plug into the factory radio and the other plug into the factory harness?? Therefore there would be no cutting/splicing of the factory wires?
#11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,646 Times in 861 Posts
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadesy View Post
So how do the best kit harnesses work?? Does one plug into the factory radio and the other plug into the factory harness?? Therefore there would be no cutting/splicing of the factory wires?
That is correct.

2008 CrewMax Limited 5.7 / Slate Metallic
#12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 PM

I like the idea of this over an aftermarket stereo because I like the look of the factory radio. Couple of questions. Obviously the biggest downfall of this over an aftermarket is the lack of equalizer right? Not having the ability to control the sub sperately? How is the sound quality? Obviously while using a sub amp, you wouldn't need to run any other wires, but if you hooked up a 4 channel amp, would you need to rerun wires to the speakers or would the harness take care of sending the sound back to the factory wires??
#13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:21 PM

With an amp and new speakers sound quality is a big improvement over OEM but not as good as it would be by replacing the HU too. How much time do you spend in the truck? For most people adding an amp and speakers is all you would want. For some the added expense is worth it because they spend a lot of time in the vehicle. For most car audio is a hobby that they don't mind spending the money on but they really don't use it much. Nothing wrong with any of these. There are worse things to spend money on.
Using the harness described in this thread you would not have to run additional speaker wires.
There are a couple of options. A 2 channel amp and new front speakers only. A 4 channel amp with all 4 channels running full frequencies and new speakers front and rear speakers. A 4 channel amp with low pass filters on the rear channels and small subs in the rear doors.

'08 Tundra DC - TRD Offroad 4x4
Slate Metallic
Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover
Dee Zee 5" Oval Tube Steps (Black)
Peripheral iSimple iPOD Adaptor
--------------------------------------------
'09 KZ - Spree 261RKS (RV)
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
#14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all of the responses. Here's what I found:

TA02B Harness - This accepts the factory harness that is connected to everything already wired, giving me complete control of all of the wiring.
Scosche TA02B / TA02 Toyota Wiring Harnesses Car Stereo (Head Unit) Installation Car Accessories and Installation Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

TA02R Harness - This plugs into the factory OEM radio. I can intercept the speaker wires here and run them to the amp.
Scosche TA02RB / TA02R Toyota Wiring Harnesses Car Stereo (Head Unit) Installation Car Accessories and Installation Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

I already got the amp kit, and I just ordered the amp today. I ordered the Alpine MRP-F300, got it on ebay for $144. It has speaker level inputs, which should make the install easier.
Alpine MRP-F300 (mrpf300) Multi-channel Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

I already have the Polk Audio db651s installed in the rear doors, Infinity Reference 5022i's in the front doors, and some Boss SE322 in the dash.

I should be getting the amp by the weekend, and the amp goes in on Sunday! Wish me luck!

Last edited by thisguyinoc; 08-04-2009 at 12:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thisguyinoc For This Useful Post:
ehooper (03-22-2012), nealjamb (06-11-2012)
#15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Here is what I was thinking. Since I have a regular cab and only have front channel speakers, I was going to get the two new harnesses, run the rears straight to a 4 channel amp, send 2 channels to the front speakers and bridge the other 2 to my sub. Does this sound logical or am I just dreaming?

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion