Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Upgraded 2011 with Pioneer NEX: Pros & Cons

7K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Tricon 
#1 ·
I've just finished installing a new Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with the Maestro interface and Metro dash kit into a 2011 Tundra DC with base audio system. The speakers are still all stock.

Since I'm a recording engineer, my main purpose for the install was to improve the fidelity of the system. I had read from several on this forum than just a HU upgrade would substantially improve the sound quality. I also feel that I'm a fairly good judge of audio fidelity from a stereo system, so take that into consideration with my opinions and results. Complete cost of the upgrade was about $700.

PROS:

-- Apple CarPlay is pretty awesome, so far.
-- 13-band EQ gives a little more flexibility than stock HU.
-- Volume output is better than stock HU.
-- Steering wheel controls were retained with the Maestro.
-- The aux input and USB also work, thanks to the Maestro.
-- OBD-II port is now integrated to the radio for gauges and alarms.

CONS:

-- Audio fidelity at normal listening volumes is not much greater, if any, than the stock HU.
-- Depending on the station, HD Radio was/is generally a disappointment.
-- Fingerprints on the screen are annoying.
-- The stock microphone wouldn't interface to this setup.
-- Satellite radio functionality was lost unless you get the optional tuner...but I don't use satellite radio, anyway (horrible fidelity).
-- Other than CarPlay and a few other neat features, it was a large expense for not much gain, if any, in audio fidelity.

I shouldn't be surprised in my results. Several years ago, I did a complete upgrade in a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder with all Alpine components, including HU and speakers, and I thought the stock, base Nissan system sounded better. ;) Oh, well.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I just put the 7200Nex in my 12 last week. Picked it up from BB for $825.

Did you put a small amp in?
Alpine Power Pack 180W Class D Bridgeable Multichannel Amplifier with High-Pass Filter Black KTP-445U - Best Buy

I added this, and wow what a difference over the stock system.

I did change the speakers over to JBL, but I think the amp and had head unit made the most difference.

Did you install the RR unit? That is one big pro. I get real trans temps on the radio. That's something torq never could do right out of the box. Ads in real time tire temps and pressures.

Congrats on a nice radio install.

#4 ·
how were you able to keep the usb and aux inputs. how did you connect that up to the maestro.

#6 ·
Interesting. I just had this same unit installed a few days ago, with the amp though, and stock base speakers. So far, I can tell a pretty big difference in the audio quality using Car Play and Bluetooh, but not much of a difference when using Aux. I was also a bit disappointed that the stock microphone didn't interface with the setup.

I also share your annoyance at the fingerprints. I wipe them down every now and then. I didn't think the cost was all that bad, but so far, I'm fairly satisfied. I think the system would benefit from better speakers, but that's an expense for another time.

#9 ·
I ran into an issue with the idDatalink RR and the Compustar remote start pulling data at the same time not letting the remote star work correctly. It looks like this has been fixed by making a change in the green and white wire. Maestro is working on a a fix to the harness, but its not out right now. My installer had to manually rewire.

#18 ·
What did you lose? Only thing that I lost when I replaced mine with the 7000 was the factory usb port.

#27 ·
Was the front camera easy to install? I'm running a Pioneer 7000 with a backup already in place.

#30 ·
If you want good sound fidelity you really need an amp and speakers. I put 8" mid bass in the door, 4" mids in the dash and 1" tweets in the a pillar. Amped em up with a sweet class D amp and wow...it blows my hair back now :lol

Matches perfectly with the 2 JL 10's behind the rear seat. I told myself I was going to keep the stereo stock this time around...that lasted about 1 month, when Deadmau5 came on and then some Metallica...I just couldn't rock out. So I went full bore and have never regretted it in the last 5 year :)

Reactions: clayton.morris.9
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.