Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

CDT Super 2.2

936 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  trumpet 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I can't speak from experience on these things, but I'm highly skeptical about how well they actually work. They claim "extended bass below 20Hz (ported)" but then the specs say "Frequency response 42Hz-20,000Hz" I'm not sure how they are getting below 20Hz if their driver only responds down to 42Hz. that's a pretty wide gap. I assume they are relying on porting to artificially lower the frequency, but IMO that's very poor form. they're probably talking about resonance, not response at 20Hz... either way it won't matter unless you're listening to Blu-Ray tracks in your truck - then you need all sort of other things to take advantage of that kind of track. a music system simply doesn't need 20Hz. The human ear can barely hear that low anyway. that range is usually reserved for the "felt and not heard" effects like explosions in movies. I imagine that 42Hz as their minimum response is pretty accurate, particularly in the doors of your truck, and if that's the case then they're not doing a very good job being a subwoofer. That being the minimum, dB will drop off pretty significantly at that level, so really you've got an effective usable minimum at about 50-55Hz. no bueno unless you have an actual subwoofer to compliment it.

all of that said... these probably do a lot better in the woofer range than a typical component set. so if you *do* have a sub, I think these are probably a good mid/woofer. the price, though... I dunno, man. I think you'll spend a /lot/ to get a little in this case.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the info baldguy. Yeah like I said I'm very skeptical. I'm trying to avoid a sub but its looking like that will be my only option to get the sound I'm looking for. I have a DC so its limited on space and I would like to keep my storage under the rear seats. Been tossing around the idea of a 6x9 component to keep the mid bass, but I really only have one option from CDT since its a shallow mount. I had the Polk Momo 6.5 components in my Tacoma and was very happy with them but I also had a sub taking up one of the seats in the access cab. That being said, I already have a set of 6.5 adapters from Tacotunes that should work with the Tundra so I can save some money there. Ugh!! So many decisions! Any suggestions on a good set of 6.5 components baldguy? If I do go with a sub I will stick with the 6.5s. Already have the JBL sail panels on the way so it will be a component set as well. Thanks again for your input. It is greatly appreciated!!

#6 ·
We've been a CDT dealer since before the "Super" systems came out. I personally tried the DVC 6.7" subs in my car's doors and I was never truly happy with the sound. There's no practical way to make them blend well with mid and high frequencies when it's time to play the system loudly. The key is the sensitivity. CDT claims to sell quite a lot of the subwoofers as factory upgrades. My recommendation is to use a subwoofer enclosure for more predictable response from the bass as opposed to installing subwoofers in the doors.

Having one option from CDT for a 6x9 midbass is not a bad thing, although it isn't technically true with the full CDT catalog in consideration. Too many choices is paralyzing, so we use what works and stick with it. Our Tundra Stage 2.5 and Stage 3 systems make fantastic midbass with a good quality amplifier.

If you would prefer to use your existing adapters let me know the cutout diameter and I can recommend a speaker set.

#7 · (Edited)
@trumpet,

I actually emailed you guys today. Barry in particular. Is that you? I was hoping you would chime in. I currently have 6.5 adapters but I do like the 6x9 option you offer. In my email I asked if it would be possible to get the 1" tweeters with the 2.5 kit instead of the 2". Only issue being cutting the factory dash grills. Was hoping for a better fit in the future with no cutting and I know the 2.5 kit allows for a 3 way add on. Thanks for the input!

#12 ·
Trumpet,

I actually emailed you guys today. Barry in particular. Is that you? I was hoping you would chime in. I currently have 6.5 adapters but I do like the 6x9 option you offer. In my email I asked if it would be possible to get the 1" tweeters with the 2.5 kit instead of the 2". Only issue being cutting the factory dash grills. Was hoping for a better fit in the future with no cutting and I know the 2.5 kit allows for a 3 way add on. Thanks for the input!
Yes, I'm Barry. We can substitute 1" tweeters that can be mounted under the dash grilles or behind the OEM Tundra sail panels. There is a possibility that with some heat to soften the air ducts the required dash clearance could be made. The 1/4" thick brackets would need to be replaced with something thinner.

We have the option of substituting a 6.7" midrange woofer, which can still work great in a 3-way. For bass the 6x9 woofers come out on top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.