Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

JBL MS-8, everything else stock

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SP 
#1 ·
All of the threads with MS-8 problems got me nervous and I almost didn't install mine and was going to send it back. Glad I didn't.

I put one in my 14 non-jbl with all factory speakers and am powering front and rear off the Internal MS-8 amp. I powered it using the factory wiring since the factory amp is fused at 30amps and ms-8 calls for 25a I called that good enough. I also am using the factory ground and so far it is clean with no pops or other noise.

Thanks to all who posted diagrams and connector info I didn't have to cut or modify a single factory wire. I used
metra p.n.'s 70-1761 + 70-7992 to wire it up to the MS-8 harness. Hardest part of the install was soldering the harness and that isn't hard just takes time. I made a mount out of a piece of MDF bolted to the two front spots of the factory amp but it's unfinished right now. Either need to wrap it in carpet or paint it. Needs something. Was strapped for time.

It sounds great and gets plenty loud. I still have a couple things I need to do like disable the dash speakers because the delay is slightly noticeable. Will also try different crossover levels and see what I think. Overall though I think it was a good first step and glad I did it first instead of waiting until I felt like spending the money to do it all. Down the road I might add an amp, sub and components but for now it was a good way to make the factory stuff have some low end and volume that it never had before. Figured I'd post as I looked everywhere for someone that all they did was an MS-8 on a Tundra and couldn't find anything.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glads yours worked out, I'm still trying to get mine tuned up.
I have to turn the radio up halfway to get decent volume, and the alignments really dont sound that good, but I'm going to tinker with it today..

Are you using the stock factory amp wires to POWER your MS-8?
The MS-8 requires a MINIMUM 12 ga power and ground wire with a 25 amp inline fuse directly from the battery.
See pages 5 and 6 of this MS-8 manual.
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aau...an/default/v1429346104209/pdfs/MS_8_OM_EN.pdf

I'd HIGHLY recommend running a line to do that.

#16 ·
Not sure if anyone has suggested this already but have you tried bypassing the head unit and plugging your phone or ipod directly to the ms8 and changing the input to see how it sounds ? Just to rule out any issues coming from the hi level inputs. Also you could try plugging in a source directly to your amps to see if they sound right without the ms8 connected.

#3 ·
I read that and at first I was gonna run an 8-10ga wire but decided against it. The factory amp is fused at 30amps and if Toyota says the wiring is good enough for 30a then I believe them. If I have any issues I'll change it but I'm not worried about it.

#5 · (Edited)
You have no idea of my experience level and what I have done before yet you throw outlandish statements like that. Wow right back at you. I guess that's the Internet for you. I guarantee I have ran more wiring and done more electrical repairs on cars than you ever will. Do you know how electricity works? If the wiring is rated to accept up to 30 amps then surely 25 will suffice. Unless of course they are a magical JBL 25 amps.

I have no issues with my MS-8 or install, you?

#8 ·
Ok Ryan, my apologies..
I've only installed stuff in the 12 or so vehicles I've owned my lifetime.
I'm surely and obviously no expert..
I guess I'm just big on following manufacturer's instructions.

Pretty sure my MS-8 problems are from trying to run a 900w amp in conjunction with the 20w per channel output of the MS-8.
No wiring problems at all.

But it is good to know that the MS-8 will run off the stock wiring..
If I buy another amp for my rears and center, maybe I can use the line I ran for the MS-8 for that amp and run the MS-8 like you did.
Being I won't be using the MS-8 for any speaker amplification, it would/should draw less power..

I learnt sumthin today..:nerd:

Reactions: gzaonas
#6 ·
Easy fellas were all here to help each other out.

#9 ·
No big deal. All I was saying is the factory AMP 12v constant should handle it no problem up to 30amps as that's what it's there for originally. Obviously when I decide to go all out and throw in a real amp I'll have to run a bigger 4ga with a 75-100amp fuse but the MS-8 will stay powered as it is now as it isn't gonna over power the factory wiring. It is after all straight from fuse block to the AMP with nothing else running on it and wouldn't be surprised if it's 12ga from the factory, I didn't check because Toyota deems it good enough for 30a of current.

Sorry for the attitude it just came off like you were calling me a hack after I tried explaining how it wouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to let people know it is an option to piece together a setup without going all in at once. After all I am probably going mid-travel shortly and I'd rather get that done then spend a ton on the stereo right now but I needed more from the lame factory setup on this thing.

#13 ·
@trumpet have you been monitoring some of the other MS-8 threads? @1lowlife and I are both having some volume issues. I believe when you were assisting @roboots21 you suggested turning the amp gains all the way down for calibration. Would this impact the ending volume (seems like it would)? Any other ideas/suggestions?

Reactions: 1lowlife
#15 · (Edited)
I had mine setup this way for a few weeks before I upgraded my speakers, I was running the doors and disconnected the dash because there was a serious delay between the doors and dash. One thing that helps minimize the delay is turning off logic 7 but your best best is running the dash speakers off the ms8 like trumpet suggested. If you just unplug them there are no highs ,no crispiness just pure mids and lows. Not horrible, was able to get really loud without distortion but it definitely wasnt a FULL sound without the dash speakers running. Another thing I had done during my temporary setup was turning the MS8 Volume higher so that it completely overpowered the dash speakers and the delay was less noticeable.

#18 ·
I hate to revive this thread from the dead but it seemed the most relevant to my screwed up situation. I purchased a JBL MS8 & a JL Audio XD500/3v2 and then had a shop here in Texas install it who swore minus an upgrade in a sub would sound better than anything I could retrofit it with. When I got it back it sounded very harsh and one dimensional. Way worse than the stock JBL setup. I listened and noticed there was no high end coming from the rear speakers at all. The guy tells me that "because it is a 3 way setup that the processor did not have enough channels to cover everything" and that I would have to sacrifice somewhere. What????? also.... the center channel in the front was left on the factory amp so as not to mess up my phones BT audio. This is after he had me purchase a separate bass amp with sufficient power for a sub that I have not bought yet. So I have 4 amps and not enough processing to get highs on my back speakers?

Something is not right here obviously. Can anyone help enlighten me as to what I should do? The guy is now trying to sell me an Audio Control DXDQ processor to run everything through instead of the MS-8 .

:( HELP! PLEASE!! I have spent almost $2200 and the thing still sounds like crap!

#19 ·
Ouch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.