Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

dash speakers

18K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  gregh 
#1 ·
The factory dash speakers sounds ok but the component I installed is overcoming it so I want to change it out. I think it sounds better with the fill from the dash.

I need help figuring out what size are the dash speakers. The side and center. Thanks.

#4 ·
What year? The center on the 14s is some odd dual voice coil wired off the sides, don't think u can even find a drop in replacement for that one. I'd research other posts on here, make sure u get the right impedance for the sides and go like for like on the replacement so as not to over power the source with or under power the speaker with the wrong ohm.

#5 ·
You installed components in the doors I assume, and amped them?

Components will typically overcome any factory powered dash speaker.

#7 ·
Yes. I have a 6 channel amp @ 250 RMS each. 4 channel for the doors and 2 channel for the two PIONEER TSSWX2502. I will most likely run new speaker wire and most likely a low wattage amp that will run the dash speaker using the HU front channel. This way I can adjust the dash volume to compliment the rest of the system.

Reactions: Powertechn2
#6 · (Edited)
Subbed..

I have my 2 side dash speakers out right now in my 2014 DC.
I just installed my door components last weekend.
Once I get my levels set I'm going to see how it sounds with those stocks back in the dash.
I'm considering replacing them with a quality speaker, but I would really like to be able to fade them independently from the amp powered front and rear doors.

They seem and measure on the meter to be 6 ohm which may be hard to find.
Not much room to mount anything much deeper.
There is an tube that runs air flow to the side defrost/defog directly underneath the speaker.
Too cold outside to take a pic of that..

Reactions: gzaonas
#8 · (Edited)
Subbed..

I have my 2 side dash speakers out right now in my 2014 DC.
I just installed my door components last weekend.
Once I get my levels set I'm going to see how it sounds with those stocks back in the dash.
I'm considering replacing them with a quality speaker, but I would really like to be able to fade them independently from the amp powered front and rear doors.

They seem and measure on the meter to be 6 ohm which may be hard to find.
Not much room to mount anything much deeper.
There is an tube that runs air flow to the side defrost/defog directly underneath the speaker.
Too cold outside to take a pic of that..
Thanks for the pics. I thought about the ohm factor that is why I will be running a separate amp for the dash. This way I will be able to adjust it separately from the rest of the system as it's use to fill the front. I am thinking of a three channel amp for the dash. I think this is the best way to set up the dash.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Thanks. I'll open it up tomorrow and see what I need to do.

Good to know those JL sounds good. Might look into those.

#24 ·
Thanks. It looks like there are three prongs the grill snaps on? Wanna make sure not to break anything when removing it. Do I just pry it off with a prying tool?

#26 ·
#32 ·
have any of you noticed that cable that plugs to the center dash speaker grill in the 2014-2015's ? Any idea what it is ?

Attachments

#35 ·
Since we're on the topic of dash speakers...

I wonder if anyone has replaced the side dash 6 ohm speakers with dual 3 ohm tweeters (2 per side) wired in series? That would make each side a 6 ohm load like the oem full range speaker, and you'd keep your center full range channel. May be a good solution for those who added amped coaxial front speakers and didn't go with component sail tweeters and are running the dash ones off the HU.

Not sure about my math on ohm load or how it would sound but it seems like it would work in theory.

#36 ·
The impedance of a tweeter is usually not critical. Replacing a 6 ohm speaker with a single 4 ohm tweeter would work just fine.

That's because there is usually a capacitor in line with a tweeter that prevents the amp from seeing the tweeter. It doesn't affect the impedance much at all.

#39 · (Edited)
Side dash speakers read 6 ohm 13W, so I'm guessing I wouldn't put too much more than 13 watts RMS.
There isn't a whole lot to them as far as handling wattage..
All three dash speakers have bass blocking capacitors on them..

I pulled my side dash speakers and I'm leaving them out, I put my tweeters in the door sails.

I pulled my center speaker out Sunday when I ran a new center channel speaker wire for it for my upcoming MS-8.
I didn't take any pics of it, but it reads 10 w + 10W / 8 ohms + 8 ohms.
Remember it is a dual voice coil with left and right inputs..

Edit:

WTF, even though it is 1 AM, and I just got home from work, I took a few pics in the garage.
The center channel is a little bigger than the side dash speakers.
Here are the pics....

Reactions: gregh
#40 ·
thx 1lowlife, excellent pics, i am getting an amp put in today and i was gonna feed 50RMS per channel and just run the front channels to the doors and dash speakers. i seen a few guys on here adding a micro amp to their systems and running their factory speakers anywhere from 45-75 watts, and they havent destroyed them yet. ill likely change out the dash speakers ( already changed the doors). you think i should leave the power form the factory deck to the dash and just power the door speakers off the amp? or power them all with the amp? i dont want it to be too bright..

#41 ·
hey guys, just an update on my install. i bought a 5 channel fosgate prime amp (50RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms and 300 x 1 @ 2 ohms) . i swapped out the 4 door speakers with some fosgate prime 2/3 way's ( 45 RMS per) and i added a fosgate Prime 12 inch shallow mount sealed ( 250 RMS @ 2ohm). i left the tweeters in the dash and amplified them with the front doors. i have to say they sound great, the whole system does. i am not experiencing any "bass roll-off" so far. i used a test tone cd and cranked it up on the lower frequencies, and the only ones i cant really hear well are below 40Hz, but this shallow mount is rated down to only 35-40 Hz. on my dial on the non-JBL HU i never really go pass 30, so that may be why i am not getting any bass issues, but the system sounds great. i used speaker level connections to get the signals to the amp. thanks to all the advice i got on here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.