Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Which shallow mount sub?

15K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  GR8White 
#1 ·
1st post, sorry if this question gets asked a lot, I searched for awhile but did not find anything

Just sold my 4dr JK for a 08 doublecab.

Looking at getting the 12volt box from ebay for a single 12" sub.

The woofer I wanted to use (Sundown SD-2) Calls for 5.25" mounting depth and the box can fit up to 4.5"

What sub are people running with this box?

Amp will be a Kicker 1000.1

Rack is coming off, Leveling kit, tint and wheels this week.

Piecing stereo together now.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Build your own box and run this guy...10" JL Audio 10TW3-D4. There are specs on here to build a similar box to the down firing pioneer enclosure you mentioned.

Reactions: BEER and roboots21
#7 ·
I'm running a JL 13TW5 in my DC. The box is nothing fancy, but I built it to the exact airspace requirements. Sounds great.
Nice set up! Do you use 4GA wire for speaker wire?! That's awesome. Did you dynomat? The doors rattle like crazy with the stock speakers :(

Really no not want to go the JL route. I have had a bad experience with them, and I think they are overpriced. I had a 10w7, with the slash 500.1 amp in a spec ported box. Never really amazed me, JL told me to get the 1000.1 amp to "wake it up" and after the voicecoil melted blamed me for giving it too much power.

Wanted to go with Sundown. Great prices and the throw on the subs is unbelievable. Maybe I'll do a couple of 8's facing forward like I have seen in a thread on here... Decision, decisions..

On another not, ordered Bilstein 5100's yesterday! :beerchug:

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks. Yes, the entire truck is covered in Dynamat and Ensolite. The roof has a layer of Dynamat and Second Skin Heat Wave Pro. My speaker wires are 12 awg. My power wire is 4 awg. I'll post up more pics this evening if you'd like to see my build for ideas.

My current system is:

JL 300/4v2
JL 500/1v2
Rainbow Germaniums
JL 13TW5

I've bought some new amps for the install of my new Tundra, so my new system will be:

Zapco Z-150.4
Zapco Z-150.2
Dynaudio Esotar

I have two extra Zapco Z-150.2's that are a 10/10 condition. Still in the boxes but I bought more than I needed and won't be using the two extra like I had originally thought. I'm bridging mine to give 500w to the sub. PM me if you're interested. Zapco's are amazing sound quality amps.

#10 ·

I just figured out the Folding rear seat mod and will mount my amps back there like you have. Can you post some more pictures of how you mounted the (assuming) wood in place?

Also, torn on that JL sub... Might just take the easy way out and get 2 of the pioneer 10's in prefab boxes :crying: ... Hell, its cheaper than just getting the JL Sub, let alone building the box.

Wish they made a nice prefab PORTED box. I can't seem to find a combo of subs that will work for the 12volt box that I like.

I am also going to order the 09+ Tundra USB/AUX port (86190-0C020) to make the stock aux input work and add a factory looking usb!! Going to pull trigger on ordering all my stereo stuff here soon.

Going with the Kenwood DDX372BT headunit.

Registered and got plates today, wish I could have spent that 1,200 elsewhere on the truck!

Cheers.

#9 ·
I run a Pioneer 10" shallow in a 12v box i bought off ebay.

I am really impressed with the bass note the sub provides and its enough bump for me and my type of music. Glad i didn't go all out.

#13 ·
I have 2 of those Pioneer shallow mount 10s in boxes that are barely used and taking up space in my garage.

Reactions: Powertechn2
#16 ·
Yea, shipping larger items pretty much kills a lot of sales on forums.

Like the amp, sub, etc. Amp isn't too bad to ship, sub, not too bad if in its original box, now in an enclosure, gets more difficult.

I have a ton of stuff to sell too.

#21 ·
I don't know of any personally but I know that there is 7" minimum at the very bottom that can be used. So if you wanted to you can use a sundown 6.5" x series that I'm sure will sound awesome in the right box!!! Maybe even 2 of them with a transmission line port and I couldn't imagine anything wrong with that setup! !! Or you can fit 1 jl audio stealth box under the single seat

#22 ·
I run a Pioneer 10 in a custom box that I got when shallow mounts were first becoming big and I think Pioneer was one of the first to market with them. My impression of it is it does the job but since then a lot of other brands have improved on the concept. Eventually I'd like to get rid of it and slip something else in there.

#24 ·
I second this. Nick Lemons (Stereo Integrity owner) is among the most knowledgable subwoofer experts in the world. He is also good friends with Jacob (Sundown Audio owner). Nick was making subwoofers 10+ years ago and Jacob was using them to compete and WIN. The very slim design along with Nick's strict requirements makes this an easy winner.

Reactions: Powertechn2
#25 ·
I have 2 SIBM MKIV's. They sound great so far. I had a 13tw5 before. These two in a box barely larger than what the 13tw5 needed offer more bass and are a quieter sub. I mean quieter as in less noise from the sub itself.

I have the 13tw5 sitting around for now, waiting to make sure I am happy before I sell it in the box for my CM off.

#26 ·
Power,

I have the same 13tw5 in a custom box beneath 2/3 of my DC backseat right now...reading a couple different threads now on the SIBM's too. First, what sub amp were you using for the JL? I ask b/c I'm not satisfied with mine but figured I'd just gone cheap on the sub amp and my next planned move was ~$600ish on a better monoblock. Do you think the money is better spent ditching the JL, grabbing an SIBM (or 2?), and then buying an amp? What sq ft does the SIBM like exactly?

#29 ·
Ever since I installed the stereo in my truck, I have done a couple other Tundras and I have to say, I wish I spent the extra and went the JL route with mine. I did a Kicker CompRT 10" and overall I'm pretty pleased with it, it hits hard. But after doing other Tundras with the JL 10TW3's, I feel that the JL sound quality and overall tone capabilities surpass the Kicker. The Kicker has a 600w RMS and the JL a 400w but like I said, it's just a different sound. I built very similar boxes for each too. The Kicker even though a bit more powerful actually requires less air space as well and it's half the price of the JL. My boss at the audio shop I work for actually got crazy and did 4-JL 10TW3's under the back seat. Yes, that required cutting seat supports and re-welding new ones on but in the end, holy crap....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.