Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2011 w/ JBL Audio Upgrade Help

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Rdubincident 
#1 · (Edited)
Purchased a 2011 Crewmax Limited w/ JBL audio system two weeks ago. I am in the process of upgrading all audio except the JBL nav headunit. I have a few questions though.

Here is what I have purchased:
-(2) 12W3V3-4 Ohms (wired in parallel)
-Custom box for crewmax
-MTX 400x4 amp for door speakers

Will be purchasing in the next few weeks:
-FatMat Sound Deadner 50 sqft x 80 mils (not sure if this will be enough)
-2 pairs of Alpine SPR-60c components (for front and back doors)
-Amp for the 2 subs (2 ohms
-Wiring kit

1. I also need a converter to allow my factory JBL w/ nav head unit to work with this, correct? If so what do you suggest?

2. I want my navigation, bluetooth, and steering wheel controls to still function correctly, is there anything else I need in order for this to happen?

3. Should I replace the 3-3 ½ speakers in the dash? If so, would I need anything besides the speakers?

4. I am trying to decide between 3 amps for the subs. Recommended total RMS 300-1000W on JL's site. My buddy had these subs in his tundra with a 500/1 and insists it was plenty of power; while I'm leaning more towards 1000/1:
A. JL XD600/1 (@ 2 ohms 600W) $380
B. JL JX 1000/1D (@ 2 ohms 1000W) $267
C. Kicker ZXS1000.1 (@ 2 ohms 1000W) $250

Which would you go with or would you consider something else. I'd like to keep it under $400

5. Any other general advice/suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
There are so many options for a converter, it depends if you want to go active or just get a good control on your audio. Sound stream has a unit comparable to the jbl ms8 for half the price! I would recommend going active because once you go act you never go back, lol! But seriously the best way to listen to music in your vehicle.

For amps if your running parallel the the 1000.1jl should work best. I have a Memphis audio 2ch 500w that will push your subs with nooooooooo issues! ! It's in great shape and a quality product! But either way hope it sounds awesome for you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.