Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Factory Headunit upgrade with Aftermarket amp and Speakers

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  debremus 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share a success story on my recent install. I leased my '14 Tundra SR5 so I didn't want to make any permanent modifications.

I ran new woofer and tweeter wires through the front door grommets (not that bad, really, just pull the rubber boot out of the door and you have plenty of room to work with). I put the crossovers under the kick panel on both sides and ran signal wire and speaker wire on the right side of the truck and the amp wire on the left. The Amp Wire easily (with a little lube) slid through a factory grommet, I just had to cut the tip off one of the boots. It is completely water tight.

I added Infinity Kappa 60.9CS components in the front door with the tweeter in a factory sail panel I ordered. The 6.5" woofers were mounted with cheap Scosche plastic mounts. I a 12"x 12" section of sound deadening material around the speaker hole and remaining material from the speaker hole to patch on the back side of the speak mounts (it wasn't completely flush), and then seal up when it was all mounted.

I added a Kicker ZX700.5 Amp to power all 4 door speakers (factory speakers in back) and an Alpine Type-R DVC 12" Sub in a 1 cu ft. sealed box, which sits on the rear passenger side floor.

I still need to bite the bullet and pull out the rear seat so I can mount the amp properly, which is the only thing left to do.

I added an AudioControl LC6I at the factory amp location and tapped off the signal wires there. I modified some wire harnesses (ala this thread: Replace Factory amp powering door speakers (uh.. just a few pics)) so no factory wires were harmed in the making.

Besides the current sub location, overall my cleanest install thus far in probably 5ish sound systems I've install in my various vehicles throughout the years, although I've seen much cleaner installs from some of the other people on this forum. This is by far my best sound system yet. I was never really happy with the Infinity speakers in my fusion... perhaps they weren't mounted correctly.

I am most happy with the end result. Music sounds incredible with amazing bass response, even without the subwoofer. In fact, I will be downgrading to a 10" subwoofer so I can easily fit it under my rear seat... I just need to find a good shallow mount 10" subwoofer with 2ohms that I can afford. I am getting old (30) and I have two kids so I don't need to be rattling windows 3 blocks away, I just want amazing sound quality.

All in all, it took me probably 10 hours, getting yelled at by the wife and threatened to be moved downstairs so I could closer to my new love (the truck), and maybe $100. I already owned the Infinity Speakers, Amp, and Subs. There's probably $750 worth of amps and speakers I had before.

Pardon the crappy cell phone pics. More detail to follow.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good deal man! Similar to what I am looking to do .. do you happen to have the part numbers handy for those sail panels? I want some when I am ready to bite the bullet on my audio install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.