Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

New system on the way!

4K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  toyot@tundr@ 
#1 ·
Got a Kenwood DDX-371 from my wife and son for my birthday last week. Today I ordered a backup camera, jl jx1000/1 and two sundown sd-2 10d4's. Can't wait till i get time to get it all installed. Hope it sounds killer!

#3 ·
Congrats! I have two SA-8s off a JL 1000.1 and I love it. Packs a nice clean punch. Very accurate subs. Post pics of your install. Are these going in a DC?

Reactions: toyot@tundr@
#16 ·
Very cool. With two Sundown 10s, the bass is definitely covered.

How do you plan to install the subs?
I would love to see if you can do that to the seat because there are bolts that hold it to the back wall also. Keep us updated! !
I will modify the back bolt bracket too. But I was talking about that bracket length to allow the seat to fold forward.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. They are going in my double cab. First one, then the other. :) I want a tech12volt box or something similar. I'll mount the amp where the factory jack is now. I've been without a system for 2 years and I'm jonesing for some bass again!

I had a 500w Kenwood amp and 2 Kenwood 10's in my ford, but it never hit me in the chest hard enough. I wanted to make sure this time around that it was obnoxious enough. I got my fingers crossed.

>:D

#8 ·
I'll get another pic after work. It sticks out a little past the seat, but it's very much worth it. These two little guys are so clean and musical it's unreal. I had two SA-12s in my last Tundra. Those were unbelievable. They never fatigued and played really nice and loud.

Attachments

#9 ·
Looks awesome hidtundra. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I could. Unfortunately I have a toddler that would probably kick them. Does sundown make grilles for the sa8?

#11 ·
Here's another shot of my box. Love this thing. Box pounds.

Attachments

#12 ·
I love to pound box...

#14 ·
Update: shit goes in Sunday! After getting all my stuff delivered, It's very apparent that my seat needs to move up. I was going to cut the brackets before I got the subs, but now I'm thinking just 3/4" spacers under the seat and the seat should fold down too correct? I'm also removing the rubber seat bumpers and rigging up some 1" spacers there too. For a total of a 1 3/4" increase between my sub and bottom of the seat.

#17 ·
Please provide a million pictures. If you can swing this, I think I will go back to my buddy who built the first box, and sell my 8's and pick up some 10's. Going from 2 12s to 2 8s has been an adjustment for sure. It sounds phenomenal but at ear bleed volume, the bass could be a little more prevalent. The best part of my system has to be my fronts. Picked up a used set of Image Dynamics components for $70. I had my competition speakers in my last Tundra and my girl was blown away by the IDs and the price just shocked me. Even new they are well under $200. Couldn't be happier with them. I am feeding them about 150W each which helps...Alpine MRP F300 Great little amp.

#19 ·
Yeah mine is ported. Sorry to hear about your door speakers. Let me know what you think about the Sundown components. I am curious what they are capable of. If they are 1/10th as good as their subs, they will be hard to beat.

#20 ·
Good luck with the seat modifications. I thought about doing something similar, but decided it would be too much effort.

Spacer blocks and longer bolts for the floor connection should be relatively easy. You should be able to drill and tap new holes for the rear bulkhead attachment.

It's likely that the increase in height will not allow the seatback's upper brackets to line up with the bulkhead loops with which they interface. New brackets will probably need to be fabricated.

The folding seatback mod only requires the removal of about a half inch of material.

#22 ·
Sorry for the delay guys. Its been a very busy couple weeks for me. I havent taken the pics yet, but i used a combination of washers and spacers to raise my seat off the floor 1 inch. the back of the seat brackets/hoops still work fine, and the bottom rear bolts were removed and new bolts/nuts put into the holes that were directly above the old ones.

Then I removed the thin rubber bumpers that the seat rested on and went down to grainger and got some nice 1" threaded bumpers. The seat latch wont lock anymore, but i dont care. I gained 2" total clearance, and my fox ported box and 2 sundown sd10d4's have plenty of room to move, even at full blast.

the absolute hardest part was fishing the bolts through the holes in the back. everything else was cake. it took 10 minutes to move the seat after i had all the parts. make sure you use lock washers to keep everything tight.

ill get some pics up eventually! :)

.....impressions of the system..... wow!! sundown makes some killer subs! they hit so hard, tight, and loud that they drown out the rest of my speakers. im going to have to upgrade my other stuff now. not sure if i want to get some decent speakers and run them off of my head, or if im going to go all out and get new speakers and a 4 channel amp to run them.

been listening to lots of dubstep, it just sounds phenomenal!!!

#24 ·
Yeah please provide additional detail and pictures. This is very exciting. I may have to upgrade to 10s now. Damn you! I love my subs but I think 2 8s can't compete with 2 10s. PICS!!!

#26 ·
Here are a few pics. All the hardware was bought at Ace, except for the rubber bump stops, which I got at Grainger. The bottom bolts are the same as stock, except 1 inch longer. The rear bolts are grade 8, 1 inch long,20x1/4", with washers and lock washers to resist coming apart with the vibrations. The bumpers were threaded 5/16" and I used nylon lock nuts and washers on them.

There was no cutting or drilling involved at all. It literally took me 10-15 min to get the seat moved up. The 3 back bolts where I used the 1/4" took me about 30 minutes each, because I had to get creative in order to get them through the holes. So about 1 1/2 hours total time invested.

Parts used: 3- 1" longer bolts (10mm?)
6- washers
3- 3/4" spacers

3- 1" 20x1/4" grade 8 bolts
6- washers
3- 1/4" lock washers
3- 1/4" grade 8 nuts

2- 1" rubber bumpers with integrated 5/16" threaded studs
2- washers
2- 5/16" nylon lock nuts

the bumpers were about 7 bucks each, and about 15 bucks for the rest of the hardware. good luck guys, it was pretty easy. and now my truck pounds pretty hard.

Attachments

#27 ·
Just wanted to follow up and see if any of you guys that posted changed your setup based on my results?

Im still loving my system. It sounds great and I get lots of compliments on the sound quality, even with the factory doors still in place. Im glad I went the route that I did. It did take a lot of trial and error with the EQ and built-in crossovers to achieve a nice sound with my factory doors, but now it sounds balanced and acceptable to me until they blow out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.