2014 Tundra - Easiest sound system upgrade? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

2014 Tundra - Easiest sound system upgrade?

Just bought a 2014 Tundra TRD SR5 4x2 with the Entune Premium Audio with Nav and App Suite. I did not spring for the JBL speaker upgrades now i'm regretting it pretty bad. The sound just isn't up to my standards, sounds like a cheapo system to be honest but the system itself (user interface, touchscreen, DVD etc) are all pretty badass looking. Is there a simple fix to this such as changing out the door/dash speakers and adding an amp? I'd prefer not to have subs added as I don't want to lose room in the double cab behind the rear seat. Can anyone recommend door speakers/dash that will provide decent bass and a rich sound? I'd appreciate any info! Looking to get this done at a stereo shop, etc but don't wanna go broke doing it.

Thanks!
ukfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan1976 View Post
Just bought a 2014 Tundra TRD SR5 4x2 with the Entune Premium Audio with Nav and App Suite. I did not spring for the JBL speaker upgrades now i'm regretting it pretty bad. The sound just isn't up to my standards, sounds like a cheapo system to be honest but the system itself (user interface, touchscreen, DVD etc) are all pretty badass looking. Is there a simple fix to this such as changing out the door/dash speakers and adding an amp? I'd prefer not to have subs added as I don't want to lose room in the double cab behind the rear seat. Can anyone recommend door speakers/dash that will provide decent bass and a rich sound? I'd appreciate any info! Looking to get this done at a stereo shop, etc but don't wanna go broke doing it.

Thanks!
You should be thankful that you didn't pay extra for the JBL speaker system. Those "upgrades" are usually a waste of money. You can get a much better stereo for the same $$. If you don't want to add a sub at all, then I recommend using 6x9" speakers. I much prefer round speakers, but since you need more low-end extension, the added surface area of the 6x9's will help. I can only assume that the 2014 speaker sizes are similar to the 2013. If that's the case, you can put 6x9's in the front, and 6.5" in the rear.

I can't help you with interfacing with entune, as I know nothing about that system. There are normally two ways to add an amp. Either tap off of the speaker signals and run them through a processor, or take a "low-level" signal off of the deck directly into an amp. More often than not, factory systems don't offer a low-level output, so you'll usually have to tap into the speaker signals. If this is what you end up doing, don't let anyone convince you to use a crappy $20 LOC (line out converter). Do yourself a favor and buy a decent line converter or processor. Take a look at the AudioControl LC6i. That, along with a decent 4-channel amp and speakers could sound very nice. Again remember that I'm speaking theoretically and know nothing about the 2014 entune system. Your budget would look something like this:

Front speakers (most likely components): $100-$200
Rear speakers (most likely coaxials): $50-$100
LC6i: $100-$150
4-channel amp: $150-$250
Installation: Tough to say. Maybe $200-$300? I don't know how much installers charge these days because I always install everything myself.

If that's too much $$$, you could just upgrade the speakers, but I think you'd be less than impressed, running them off of the factory system instead of a legitimate amplifier. If you install better speakers, you may be happy, and if you aren't, at least you didn't waste money. You could just add a processor/amp later.
De1taE1even is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to De1taE1even For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (10-15-2013), rockrat46 (10-27-2013), ukfan1976 (10-07-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well put...
Yes the 2014 is same as previous model. No need for the components make the all coaxials to save a little bit of coin. You will need the line convertor for sure. The speaker connections are the same as most toyota models just need to figure which wire goes to which speaker. A good 4channel amp and your set. Installing is very easy especially since its a simple setup. Not to mention the tundra is simple to take apart since everything just about snaps in.
Hilux4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can amp the factory speakers to make the sound louder but you will loose low end frequencies. Depends what you want exactly.
AZ Member #60
black on black
tuff skin bed liner
bbsr5cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I added a Helix PP50 DSP(digital sound processor). Which made a big difference. Mainly what it does is better sound and a little louder.
All you do is buy the unit and wiring harness and plug in to factory connections.
SkyHOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Hi need some help, I not a pro installer just your typical weekend warrior, I have 2014 tundra SR-5 CM TSS, it comes with nav and an amp. So I took it to find out how much would it cost me to upgrade, 2400 DLS. Installed. Any suggestions on how I can save as much money I can... Thanks!!!!
alex4367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion