2014 Tundra - Easiest sound system upgrade? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2014 Tundra - Easiest sound system upgrade?

Just bought a 2014 Tundra TRD SR5 4x2 with the Entune Premium Audio with Nav and App Suite. I did not spring for the JBL speaker upgrades now i'm regretting it pretty bad. The sound just isn't up to my standards, sounds like a cheapo system to be honest but the system itself (user interface, touchscreen, DVD etc) are all pretty badass looking. Is there a simple fix to this such as changing out the door/dash speakers and adding an amp? I'd prefer not to have subs added as I don't want to lose room in the double cab behind the rear seat. Can anyone recommend door speakers/dash that will provide decent bass and a rich sound? I'd appreciate any info! Looking to get this done at a stereo shop, etc but don't wanna go broke doing it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan1976 View Post
Just bought a 2014 Tundra TRD SR5 4x2 with the Entune Premium Audio with Nav and App Suite. I did not spring for the JBL speaker upgrades now i'm regretting it pretty bad. The sound just isn't up to my standards, sounds like a cheapo system to be honest but the system itself (user interface, touchscreen, DVD etc) are all pretty badass looking. Is there a simple fix to this such as changing out the door/dash speakers and adding an amp? I'd prefer not to have subs added as I don't want to lose room in the double cab behind the rear seat. Can anyone recommend door speakers/dash that will provide decent bass and a rich sound? I'd appreciate any info! Looking to get this done at a stereo shop, etc but don't wanna go broke doing it.

Thanks!
You should be thankful that you didn't pay extra for the JBL speaker system. Those "upgrades" are usually a waste of money. You can get a much better stereo for the same $$. If you don't want to add a sub at all, then I recommend using 6x9" speakers. I much prefer round speakers, but since you need more low-end extension, the added surface area of the 6x9's will help. I can only assume that the 2014 speaker sizes are similar to the 2013. If that's the case, you can put 6x9's in the front, and 6.5" in the rear.

I can't help you with interfacing with entune, as I know nothing about that system. There are normally two ways to add an amp. Either tap off of the speaker signals and run them through a processor, or take a "low-level" signal off of the deck directly into an amp. More often than not, factory systems don't offer a low-level output, so you'll usually have to tap into the speaker signals. If this is what you end up doing, don't let anyone convince you to use a crappy $20 LOC (line out converter). Do yourself a favor and buy a decent line converter or processor. Take a look at the AudioControl LC6i. That, along with a decent 4-channel amp and speakers could sound very nice. Again remember that I'm speaking theoretically and know nothing about the 2014 entune system. Your budget would look something like this:

Front speakers (most likely components): $100-$200
Rear speakers (most likely coaxials): $50-$100
LC6i: $100-$150
4-channel amp: $150-$250
Installation: Tough to say. Maybe $200-$300? I don't know how much installers charge these days because I always install everything myself.

If that's too much $$$, you could just upgrade the speakers, but I think you'd be less than impressed, running them off of the factory system instead of a legitimate amplifier. If you install better speakers, you may be happy, and if you aren't, at least you didn't waste money. You could just add a processor/amp later.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to De1taE1even For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (10-15-2013), rockrat46 (10-27-2013), ukfan1976 (10-07-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well put...
Yes the 2014 is same as previous model. No need for the components make the all coaxials to save a little bit of coin. You will need the line convertor for sure. The speaker connections are the same as most toyota models just need to figure which wire goes to which speaker. A good 4channel amp and your set. Installing is very easy especially since its a simple setup. Not to mention the tundra is simple to take apart since everything just about snaps in.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
You can amp the factory speakers to make the sound louder but you will loose low end frequencies. Depends what you want exactly.

2014 CM 2x4 5.7
AZ Member #60
black on black
tuff skin bed liner
Husky Weatherbeaters
LED headlights
#5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM

I added a Helix PP50 DSP(digital sound processor). Which made a big difference. Mainly what it does is better sound and a little louder.
All you do is buy the unit and wiring harness and plug in to factory connections.
The Following User Says Thank You to SkyHOOK For This Useful Post:
Kainalu (05-13-2014)
#6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi need some help, I not a pro installer just your typical weekend warrior, I have 2014 tundra SR-5 CM TSS, it comes with nav and an amp. So I took it to find out how much would it cost me to upgrade, 2400 DLS. Installed. Any suggestions on how I can save as much money I can... Thanks!!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
So 6x9 front and 6x5 rear. Do you have a plug and play speaker brand/model to recommend for the doors that has decent bass?

What speaker will fit in the dash?

2014 Tundra TRD DC 5.7L (White)
Factory Navigation
Alea Leather (blk w/red stitching)
TRD shift knob
Lockerdown Console Safe
DuHa under seat gun rack
LED's Dome and Footwell
BLK diamond plate sill protectors
3M 5% Tint
Linex Premium bedliner
NFab side steps
Red PC tow hooks
Color keyed
TRD filter
BAMuffler budget dump
#8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHOOK View Post
I added a Helix PP50 DSP(digital sound processor). Which made a big difference. Mainly what it does is better sound and a little louder.
All you do is buy the unit and wiring harness and plug in to factory connections.
Do you happen to have the part number to the wiring harness? I looked into this unit and it looks like that it is a DSP and Amplifier-in-one. Is that true and did it make the install that much easier? No extra power wiring, etc. Any help is appreciated.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1291 View Post
So 6x9 front and 6x5 rear. Do you have a plug and play speaker brand/model to recommend for the doors that has decent bass?

What speaker will fit in the dash?
We have a speaker kit with brackets to perfectly fit the Tundra. It requires an aftermarket amplifier at minimum as the factory dash speakers are wiring in a way that will not work with our speakers.

Sales, Customer Service, and Technician
Easy Way Electronics of Langdon, ND

Toyota Tundra Car Audio and Safety
Bear with us as we work on our web site and expand our product selection for the Tundra community. We offer car audio, video and safety solutions.

Family Owned and Operated.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by De1taE1even View Post
You should be thankful that you didn't pay extra for the JBL speaker system. Those "upgrades" are usually a waste of money. You can get a much better stereo for the same $$. If you don't want to add a sub at all, then I recommend using 6x9" speakers. I much prefer round speakers, but since you need more low-end extension, the added surface area of the 6x9's will help. I can only assume that the 2014 speaker sizes are similar to the 2013. If that's the case, you can put 6x9's in the front, and 6.5" in the rear.

I can't help you with interfacing with entune, as I know nothing about that system. There are normally two ways to add an amp. Either tap off of the speaker signals and run them through a processor, or take a "low-level" signal off of the deck directly into an amp. More often than not, factory systems don't offer a low-level output, so you'll usually have to tap into the speaker signals. If this is what you end up doing, don't let anyone convince you to use a crappy $20 LOC (line out converter). Do yourself a favor and buy a decent line converter or processor. Take a look at the AudioControl LC6i. That, along with a decent 4-channel amp and speakers could sound very nice. Again remember that I'm speaking theoretically and know nothing about the 2014 entune system. Your budget would look something like this:

Front speakers (most likely components): $100-$200
Rear speakers (most likely coaxials): $50-$100
LC6i: $100-$150
4-channel amp: $150-$250
Installation: Tough to say. Maybe $200-$300? I don't know how much installers charge these days because I always install everything myself.

If that's too much $$$, you could just upgrade the speakers, but I think you'd be less than impressed, running them off of the factory system instead of a legitimate amplifier. If you install better speakers, you may be happy, and if you aren't, at least you didn't waste money. You could just add a processor/amp later.
what about adding an amp to the factory speakers? i know im adding a sub for low end, but havent decided on if i will upgrade the rest, i wanna keep the factory HU for sure....
#11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 AM

I'm pretty sure just amping speakers won't do justice. Speakers are the main component in producing efficient sound and is rated in db for efficiency/ loudness. Speakers have ratings for power/ watts in which a given speaker will preform. Not making much sense it's late but in a nutshell I would recommend better speakers and a processor/ head unit with a decent amp.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra on Fire View Post
I'm pretty sure just amping speakers won't do justice. Speakers are the main component in producing efficient sound and is rated in db for efficiency/ loudness. Speakers have ratings for power/ watts in which a given speaker will preform. Not making much sense it's late but in a nutshell I would recommend better speakers and a processor/ head unit with a decent amp.
The dB rating you see on aftermarket speakers is sensitivity, not efficiency. Efficiency is usually in low single digit percentages. It's shockingly low on speakers.

Speaker power ratings are not hard and fast rules where going over on amplifier power will be guaranteed to cause problems. Power delivery is constantly changing with music, and with some critical listening and common sense to regulate the volume knob you can definitely run more power to factory speakers. However, more power on its own only gets you so far. Retuning the system with a DSP(ie JBL MS-8) gives more bang for your buck.

Sales, Customer Service, and Technician
Easy Way Electronics of Langdon, ND

Toyota Tundra Car Audio and Safety
Bear with us as we work on our web site and expand our product selection for the Tundra community. We offer car audio, video and safety solutions.

Family Owned and Operated.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion