TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion (http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/)
-   -   Replacing speakers on 2013 Crewmax SR5 (http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/156522-replacing-speakers-2013-crewmax-sr5.html)

TSOL 07-02-2013 09:55 PM

Replacing speakers on 2013 Crewmax SR5

Hi all, I just purchased a 2013 Crewmax SR5 over the weekend and to be honest I really didn't try the radio as I figured the majority or newer cars seem to have a least a decent system. Well I was wrong the factory speakers are worse than expected the factory system in my 2010 Nissan Titan was much better. So my question is can I just swap out the 6 speakers (& perhaps add a center one on the dash) for some higher quality ones or will I need to add an amp.

I'm not looking to blow the windows out or anything but I would like a little better quality sound as I'm in my truck a good bit of the day driving volume wise it seems fine and I'm not looking to really replace the radio part.

Also any ideas on good replacement speakers.

Thanks.

Seabizkit 07-02-2013 10:08 PM

Subscribed. I would love better speakers. I may go to bestbuy this weekend just to research what direct fit speakers would work.

Jason

O7trdbama 07-02-2013 10:11 PM

Lots of good info here. Take an hour or so and read through the threads and you will be much better equipped to ask more specific questions

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

jaxadam 07-02-2013 10:40 PM

I honestly think it's more worth your while monetarily to do a head unit, decent front stage, amp, and sub. You're just going to be wasting your time (and money) with a straight up speaker swap while still using the limited abilities of the stock head unit.

TSOL 07-02-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxadam (Post 1634162)
I honestly think it's more worth your while monetarily to do a head unit, decent front stage, amp, and sub. You're just going to be wasting your time (and money) with a straight up speaker swap while still using the limited abilities of the stock head unit.

Thanks for the reply to be honest I'm pretty new at replacing anything on a new vehicle as I previously had a Titan and was more than happy with the factory system and before that I had a company vehicle. Do you have any idea if the factory controls on the steering wheel will work with an aftermarket head unit?

I'm trying to keep this on the cheaper side as I have just bought a new house along with the truck.

Thanks.

jaxadam 07-02-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSOL (Post 1634378)
Thanks for the reply to be honest I'm pretty new at replacing anything on a new vehicle as I previously had a Titan and was more than happy with the factory system and before that I had a company vehicle. Do you have any idea if the factory controls on the steering wheel will work with an aftermarket head unit?

I'm trying to keep this on the cheaper side as I have just bought a new house along with the truck.

Thanks.

You can definitely get the factory steering controls to work with aftermarket heads.

It's been about 15 years since I messed with any stereo stuff. The last three automobiles I've had came stock with pretty good systems, so there was no reason to upgrade. I knew before day one I'd have to do something with this one.

jimr78 07-03-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O7trdbama (Post 1633994)
Lots of good info here. Take an hour or so and read through the threads and you will be much better equipped to ask more specific questions

This. I've been reading through the content in this section the past couple weeks and I'm learning more and more.

gobtol 07-05-2013 07:50 PM

I'm working on a really similar audio upgrade at the moment. I'm still at the stage of acquiring all the parts before I go to work installing everything. My truck is a 2012 Double Cab, non-JBL, so I believe we have the same audio system.

As jaxadam was saying, the stock head unit is a big limitation, so I've decided to replace it along with the speakers. I want to replace it with another double-din sized head unit, and I'm really not interested in having navigation or DVD playback. From what I've read on this site and others, the JVC KW-R900BT is one of the better sounding head units for the money. It runs about 170 bucks on Amazon.

As for the door speakers, a lot of people seem to really like the Polk Audio DB651s 6.5" coaxials. They run about 60 bucks a pair. Now, some people recommend getting a good set of component speakers for the front stage, but these can get pricey. Also, from what I've read, most people want to add an amplifier to run component speakers, though some people do run them directly off the head unit.

Now as for the dash speakers, I'm still not sure what to do about these. If I get component speakers for the front, then replacing the dash speakers with the tweeters from the component speakers would probably work well. Also, the JL Audio TR350-CXi 3 1/2" coaxials look nice for the dash, but if I don't add an amplifier, then I'm not sure that I would want to run both these and the door speakers off the head unit front channel. The dash speakers and the front door speakers are wired in parallel on our trucks, and if I keep it wired like this, it will drop the impedence down to 2 ohms. I'm not sure if running 2 ohms would hurt the head unit or not.

Anyways, maybe this will give you some ideas. I should probably mention that I'm also adding a small subwoofer to fill in the low range sounds. I decided on a Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" sub. It runs about 125 bucks, but the best part is it comes with a compact enclosure. It should fit right under the rear seat.

TSOL 07-05-2013 08:02 PM

I'm still on the fence about replacing the head unit for several reasons, 1.) I figure if I can get by with the factory head unit it will lessen the chance of theft as who in their right mind would steal the factory unit, 2.) I hate the way some of the aftermarket units look in the dash they really almost look out of place.

I did go onto Cruchfield and one of their advisors recommended the same speakers and they also said if I added a digital sound processor and a sub if I wanted the bass. So I may try to go that route. There's a pretty good aftermarket A/V shop down the road and they do a ton of work for mast of the new car dealerships including Toyota so I go and see what they have to say.

gobtol 07-05-2013 08:13 PM

I imagine you're right about the theft aspect, I hadn't really considered that. Now my truck didn't come from the factory with the USB input, which I really miss not having, so that's part of the reason I want to replace my head unit. I have seen some people on here that have kept the stock head unit and instead added a small amplifier to power new door speakers, and they seemed to be happy with that setup.

O7trdbama 07-05-2013 08:51 PM

I have non jbl. Just upgraded to the kenwood ddx370 double din with DVD no nav. This made a significant improvement to the sound quality, probably much better than just upgrading speakers on the stock unit.

Today I dynamatted the doors. I plan on getting 6.5 comps in the front (hertz, infinity, jl) with tweets in the sails. I wil leave the rears stock running off the head unit. I will amp the fronts off a 4 channel amp and bridge the other two channels into the pioneer 10" flat sub under the seats (or possible the type r alpine 8)

Sounds similar so I will update

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

TSOL 07-05-2013 08:53 PM

Yea many times we trailer our boat and and so it's left in a boat ramp parking lot most or we have also gone on vacation several times on an island that;s reachable only by boat so my truck sits in an unattened lot for a week. So I would really like to make it appear as unappealing as possible to any thiefs.

SkyHOOK 07-05-2013 10:48 PM

There's the Helix Plug & Play amp/Digital processor. Adds like 45 watts to door speakers. No wire cutting. Supposedly it is made for improving factory systems. There's been a couple of them on ebay for 300. Mine want be hooked up for another 2 months (when I get home).

jfrazier30 07-10-2013 12:35 PM

I got my CrewMax brand new a couple months ago. The stock system was Awful! I immediately started to design a new system in my head, and plan my budget.
In the meantime, the stock system "broke in" and started to sound a whole lot better. Yours might do the same.
(I did end up replacing everything in the end :D )

subseagm 08-03-2013 03:50 PM

I think the stock jbl system in my platinum really stinks- i am in the process of upgrading now