1st time Tundra owner, upgrading factory non jbl sound - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1st time Tundra owner, upgrading factory non jbl sound

I've read posts for hours, I want parts of everyone's system! Here is what I have ordered, it's a bit intimidating as I am facing a bit of a learning curve here. I have a 2012 Tundra DC SR5 non JBL and unhappy with the sound. I want clear crisp sound, I'm pretty much past the age of window shaking bass, but would entertain doing so on occasion. I plan to own this truck for the next decade or longer so every mod I make, I want to be a smart one.

*2 sets of alpine SPR-60c components for front/back doors
* alpine MRX-F65 amp to power ^^
* alpine SWR T-12 sub shallow (single for now, perhaps add another? Not sure)
* alpine pdx-m6 amp for the sub
* tech 12 sub box ordered, my question do I get a double 12 sealed or a ported single? If a single is "good enough" would a ported box be better? Or do I get the double for a second in the future? He has been amazing with my questions, I appreciate that a lot. Looking forward to the custom box, I prefer precision, everything I've read tells me he does as well!

Question: am I on the right track? I've been researching HU's with Nav and not sure what to buy, I like the steering wheel controls for phone, did not have that before and want to keep them. My reading shows me the kenwoods will make that inoperable I liked what I saw with the 6990HD. Do I look toward pioneer? This is fun but nerve wracking. I look forward to putting it all together, but desire to do it right the first time. Any suggestions? Nothing has been assembled yet, collecting/planning stage right now. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Audio Upgrades

Following this thread closely.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM

I am currently replacing my HU as well. I am using a professional installer for this job. We discussed the steering wheel controls and he said a company "Idatalink" makes a steering wheel controller that will restore your buttons and can add custom features to those buttons. Its called the Maestro (iDatalink - Maestro - Home). Cost about the same as a regular steering wheel controller and promises much more. Ill let you know if it works, as I should be up and running in the next few weeks. Looking forward to your install, looks impressive.
The Following User Says Thank You to 11TundraSR5 For This Useful Post:
Batt66 (10-28-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM
^Rb

Equipment list looks OK.
Only thing I would change is investing more money into your front component speakers and go for a more budget-friendly set of coaxials for rear-fill (if you even want rear speakers).

You will love that Alpine SWR-T12.

-Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to ^Rb For This Useful Post:
Batt66 (10-28-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM

(Thread Starter)
Question Speaker question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Rb View Post
Equipment list looks OK.
Only thing I would change is investing more money into your front component speakers and go for a more budget-friendly set of coaxials for rear-fill (if you even want rear speakers).

You will love that Alpine SWR-T12.
Ok, I have read reviews that my SPR-60c lack mids, it's getting confusing trying to decipher which speakers would be best? What do you have? Or suggest? Is the idea of components front and rear overkill? I have 2 sets of components in my boat and it sounds nice, I guess that is why I went in that direction. I have 30 days to return the speakers if I should.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TundraSR5 View Post
I am currently replacing my HU as well. I am using a professional installer for this job. We discussed the steering wheel controls and he said a company "Idatalink" makes a steering wheel controller that will restore your buttons and can add custom features to those buttons. Its called the Maestro (iDatalink - Maestro - Home). Cost about the same as a regular steering wheel controller and promises much more. Ill let you know if it works, as I should be up and running in the next few weeks. Looking forward to your install, looks impressive.
Looking forward to hearing how you like it! It will be a while until I get my system installed, collecting all needed components, finding a HU, and waiting on my tech12volt box to be built & shipped.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 PM
^Rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt66 View Post
Ok, I have read reviews that my SPR-60c lack mids, it's getting confusing trying to decipher which speakers would be best? What do you have? Or suggest? Is the idea of components front and rear overkill? I have 2 sets of components in my boat and it sounds nice, I guess that is why I went in that direction. I have 30 days to return the speakers if I should.
What is your budget for speakers?? (or rather, how much were the two sets of Alpine components?)

I have a custom 3-way active setup for my front speakers... And a set of Zapco-ESB 6.5" coaxials in my rear doors.

-Ray
#8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 AM

(Thread Starter)
I picked up the 2 sets on eBay for $360. What do you think of keeping one set for the front and adding Rockford fosgate pps4-6 mid range drivers in the rear? The alpine components capture the highs, lows from the sub and from what I've read these mids fill in the rest? Sounds good in theory. I will lose 15% in restocking fees when I return anything, I may have jumped the gun ordering all of the above, live n learn, I guess. I listened to a 3 way setup someone posted on YouTube, sounds great!
#9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 AM

Thanked 1,137 Times in 637 Posts
Welcome from okl.

White 2007 toyota tundra 2WD crew max 5.7L

mods

too many to list lol!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tundras_rock For This Useful Post:
Batt66 (10-29-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
tech12volt says the box has been built!

came back to see if there were any more posts, emailed James and he informed me the ported sub enclosure has been built and curing. I have all these components sitting in boxes and I am excited/nervous for their install. I hope it isn't a huge headache for a 1st time DIY install. any tips from you on what not to do would be appreciated . I still have not decided on a head unit, are there holiday promotions for those?
#11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
99.9% of the interior is held together with tension clips. Be patient when pulling it apart. There are several threads on here addressing how to remove the dash pieces, door panels, etc, and where to run wiring. Take the time to read these and you won't have any problems. If you do, post your issue and someone will help you.

Good luck and post pics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beerguy For This Useful Post:
Batt66 (11-05-2012)
#12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks BeerGuy! I will search the threads for any tips I can get! I'd like it to look seamless...The help on where to run wires will be a big help. I was wondering if I go to a stereo shop and get custom lengths cut of use the pre packaged ones, decisions, decisions. will get my search on.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
An amp kit will have everything you need (and then some). If you do need extra wire, just get a roll of it. AutoZone/Advanced/etc... usually have them for cheap.

Last edited by Beerguy; 11-06-2012 at 04:56 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
Almost been a month curing and shipping? Still no box from James at tech12volt. I am condfident it will be worth the wait. I purchased the end of October, it's December 2. I know he was involved in a bad accident which set him behind, were lucky he's ok; I am patiently waiting. All my purchased components lie in wait...I look forward to improved sound!
#15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM

i would have spent more money on front stage. you dont sit in the back of your own truck so coax's for rear fill will do just fine. you never gave a budget, but you can get a pretty damn good entry level front stage for around 3hundo. focal, hertz, phoenix golds new stuff is pretty nice as well.

good luck.

2004 AC TRD 4X4
SQ MONSTER
The Following User Says Thank You to ZapcoTundra For This Useful Post:
spar429 (12-16-2012)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion