Camera wiring if already have non-video Homelink mirror?? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Camera wiring if already have non-video Homelink mirror??

I've searched but haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I have a 2012 Crewmax SR5 w/ the autodimming (non-video) Homelink mirror that is confirmed to be pre-wired for the backup camera. I want to add a Rostra (or similar) 3.5" screen in the overhead console AND keep my existing Homelink mirror.

My question: Is the wiring harness that I would need for the Rostra screen already being used by my Homelink mirror?

I've read on one of the OEM parts sites that they use the same harness... but I have also seen references to a WHITE harness (video functions) and a BLACK harness (mirror power) up in the overhead console.

Before I get flamed, yes, I know there is no better way to know than to remove the console and look ... but I gotta think someone would know this already and I am trying to establish whether I should even be thinking about adding a camera. (That new Homelink mirror WITH video is more $$$ than I care to spend right now.)

Anyone know?

2012 Barcelona Red Crewmax SR5 4.6, 4x4

Platinum Grille, TonnoPro Tri-Fold, Bedrug, Westin Platinum 4" Oval Step Bars, 30% Tint, Polk 6.5" DB6501's, Kicker VT8, Info Button Mod

Last edited by mmitchum; 10-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmitchum For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM

(Thread Starter)
Found my answer... The Homelink mirror has a 14-pin harness (W1) that has a bundle of 4 wires that run directly to the camera harness in the back. The mirror wires are color matched to the rear harness. (I used the factory specified color choices of: black=video+, white=video-, red=power+, gray=gnd)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

Platinum Grille, TonnoPro Tri-Fold, Bedrug, Westin Platinum 4" Oval Step Bars, 30% Tint, Polk 6.5" DB6501's, Kicker VT8, Info Button Mod
Ogtoyfan (11-05-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchum View Post
Found my answer... The Homelink mirror has a 14-pin harness (W1) that has a bundle of 4 wires that run directly to the camera harness in the back. The mirror wires are color matched to the rear harness. (I used the factory specified color choices of: black=video+, white=video-, red=power+, gray=gnd)

So what will you do now? Or what have you done? I'm in the same situation, I wouldn't mind putting up an overhead monitor but wondered where the wires would come from?

2012 Tundra CrewMax 4.6 V8 w/tow-package. A.R.E. Z Series

TWAC # 74
WTC # 74

The Following User Says Thank You to Pas Bon For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-05-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 AM

(Thread Starter)
All done

I bought the overhead monitor kit from Sparks and used the 4 wires running from spare tire to Homelink mirror. I spliced in the camera at the rear - not using the existing harness. Up front, I spliced into 6 wires of the 14 pin W1 harness... 4 that feed camera I just wired, and the blue (acc 12v+) and the white w/black (ground). I skipped the reverse wiring and mounted a small rocker switch on accessory power to turn it on and off.

All in all, not too difficult, but splicing that mirror harness gets a little dicey as the wires are so short.

Hope this makes sense!

Wander (11-07-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 PM

Thanks for write-up I will have to look into getting this setup. Out of curiosity, what gauge wire did you use to slice because after looking at the rearview mirror wiring harness, trying to conceal the wires would be...well...a little trying?

Last edited by Mutha Tundra; 11-12-2012 at 12:12 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM

(Thread Starter)
I ended up using 14gauge and crimp-type connectors... And you are right about the space being a factor. My 6 wires and connectors fill that small area hidden by the sliding cover. I wanted to solder, but it was just too potentially messy. (Melted headliner, solder drip, etc). I'm pretty clumsy! I'll post a pic soon if I can figure out how.

The kit I used is the non-prewired from Sparks... P/n 250-8074. The only drawback being that the camera is not the tailgate mount type -- I think that's the reason for the drastic price differences. I ended up mounting mine flush, next too the rear license plate. I think a more top-down view would be better for hitching the trailer... But it works pretty well.

Last edited by mmitchum; 11-12-2012 at 06:40 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Please post pics, looking to do the same.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM

You got that right about the soldering. It is such an awkward spot to try to attempt to do that. I will probably go with the prewired set because of the camera mounted to the tailgate handle and the angled view.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion