Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just Replaced OEM '10 Radio with '12 Navigation Unit

128K views 283 replies 67 participants last post by  Brettski15 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Tundra DoubleCab that my father gave me when he passed. So, I definitely am keeping this truck and I don't really want to do too many mods to it. It has the 5.7L V8 and he already had a Magnaflow catback installed. So that is definitely a plus IMO.

Anyway, the OEM unit that was in this was low level to say the least. I have aftermarket equipment in all of my vehicles but I want to try a factory look this time.

So, I bought a 2012 Toyota OEM Navigation system and it is simply plug and play. Steering wheel controls, Aux input, Navigation... everything works.

BTW, I am thinking of getting 2 Sundown Audio SD210's in a ported box for under the seat and a Sundown amp as well.

In the meantime here are a few pics of the installation. I may add a video in the future. I have to get use to the controls but all in all I really like it.

See less See more
#6 ·
I bought the same unit and am in the process of getting it to work in my 2007... trying to find a microphone and the usb plug that goes into the back of the nav.. i have the USB/AUX port, but have to figure out how to get it connected to the deck.

BTW, ive researched the Entune.. i dont think we can get it to work. You need a vin from a 2012 with entune in order to register on the website..

#20 ·
Interested in a 2012 unit like this also and interested if u can use your back up camera also for this and about the antenna for gps. If a Bayonne else has on e for sale please on asap

#21 ·
I posted this in another forum for the same HU. Thought i would share here as well.

Re: Non JBL navi
Purchased from KenC210. Paid via PP and shipped as described packed well and in good shape. Installed the unit with the products supplied.

I got mine installed and have a few observations to help some others possibly. First of all, the truck I put this unit in is a 2011 Tundra SR5, Non-JBL, Non-Nav, with BT(phone and audio), XM radio, USB Ipod, Aux input, single CD.

BT phone and audio was plug and play--Works fine.

CD internal--Works Fine

USB iPod--used supplied cable--works fine.

Aux input--connector is different so this does not work, although if you spent the time to remove the Aux input connection from the cable supplied with the Navigation unit and replaced it with the original connector that is wired into the OEM harness, it will work. I tested it and it works just didn't have the time to work on the connector to make my testing permanent I don't use it anyway, but will probably readdress it when I have to break open the dash again. Aux input is a---can work with some modification.

XM Radio--This is a fail. I thought it would be since from previous times in the dash I noticed that the XM radio in my OEM unit was internal to the Toyota radio and the Nav unit from KenC210 was clearly had an "audio" only type connection and no Satellite connection other than the one for the Nav GPS. (the XM connector is the gray plug in the bottom row of plugs, I believe. The small square gray plug above the Speaker connections is the new USB iPod connection point.) I will try to source an OEM 2012 XM module for the traffic connection, but I do not use XM radio at this time anyway. So XM radio is a---don't work as far as the product supplied.

Navigation--The supplied GPS antenna was mounted with some modification in the center speaker whole that is empty. This was before I researched and found info that theOEM mounting point for this item is behind the Speedo in the dash. This is unconfirmed though and I plane to check it out and move mine if I find the OEM mounting point. The GPS functions and tracks my trucks movement on the map. But it does seem to have an issue with Route guidance. When I input a destination the route guidance acts like it is doing its job, calculating the route and display the info and track. The problem is with the turn by turn information. It will not voice prompt for turns and the turn by turn screen, and lane assistance screens are grayed out and you cannot pull them up. In the overview of the turn by turn screen you can view the starting point and destination points on a "link" to the map, but none of the turn points will show on the map. This also causes the time and distance calculation to not be calculated and displayed on the route guidance screen. This was tested in a major metro area Which should have had detailed map info available (Go to and leaving a Rangers game in Arlington TX , west for 70 miles or so. I am not sure if this due to the absence of the Entune data, a base map (on the SD card) corruption, or some other issue that I have not thought of. ANY Suggestions would be gladly accepted and investigated. I know KenC210 said he had one in his 2012 Corolla, wondering if this works in his or others that have installed these in non 2012 vehicles? So the Nav will be--a mixed works/needs additional modification or equipment. Will update this post If I figure this one out.

Overall, the budget shopper in me is satisfied, but the perfectionist wants everything to work. Yes, it is difficult being both. My plan is to shop the scrapyard for a 2012 Tundra VIN to use to get Entune account or see if I can get a dealership manager to give me a workaround. Hopefully, I can fnd a 2012 XM module in the scrapyard search also.

Hope this info helps someone else and if any of it is incorrect per your situation, I will just say that this is my observation from my install. Take care.

#23 ·
This thread got me doing some research. The 2012 limited does not come with the Entune option. It only has the JBL 7" navi pictured on page 1. Entune is an optional item for the non limited only. There are also several different radio options for Entune but most of the options are in the cars.

Before you run out and buy this for a mod, the OP is a special case of wanting to stay stock. The JBL system is by far the worst system I have ever used.. Any aftermarket stereo made in the last 5 years will be much better. Even the other manufacturer stereos arn't this bad. I find it funny I cannot enter an address while driving but making me browse 5 songs at a time on the ipod control is acceptable. Before doing this I really encourage you to go try out this system on a dealer lot. There are only two things about my Tundra I cannot stand; 300 miles to a tank of gas and the radio/navi controls.

#24 ·
We have Entune and my wife's Camry and I personally do not consider it to be that big of a deal. Neither of us have any interest in just about anything in there except for Pandora, which they don't charge for even after the rest of the free trial expires.

#27 ·
I don't know 100% yet about navigation with entune but when we bought our 12 Camry with entune the mavigation did not work until after we set up the entune account. I would think that once that's been done once though it might work just fine. I don't needy phone in the camry for navi to work, I just can't use the Internet services without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#29 ·
The turn by turn navigation issue can be fixed by getting the k6 plug and splicing a speed sensor wire from the k3 plug pin 3 to the center pin on the k6 plug. I did find a source for this plug. You can email this guy and he can get you a k6 plug with the speed sensor wire and reverse wire. Tahirmallick@hotmail.com.

You can check out this thread for some more info also..Just Replaced OEM '10 Radio with '12 Navigation Unit - Page 3

Good luck.

#30 ·
Thanks Stock, I ordered the k6 connector from your source. What do I plug that K6 connector into and what does the k3 connector look like?

Also, will this allow the navi unit to provide turn by turn directions which it does not do now. I only get voice "route guidance will know begin" and then "you have arrived at your destination." Nothing is said by the navi between the beginning point and the destination although I can follow my vehicle on the screen.

Brad

#35 · (Edited)
K-3 plug red is Video signal+ grey is Video signal- black is for the factory camera which is reading 6.8V for me. I am using a aftermarket camera and will not be using this. Green is reverse signal which I tapped in the passenger kick panel.

K-3 plug on my truck does nothing for this radio since it is not prewired for backup camera here. It is prewired in the headliner and I just decided it was easier to bypass it and just run some coaxial cable straight from camera to back of headunit.

Attachments

#36 · (Edited)
Here is another picture of this headunit with OEM wiring. This is not mine but how this radio would come wired from Toyota.
K6 plug circled in yellow which my truck does not have
Green-Reverse
White-Speed signal
Red-Parking brake

K3 plug circled in green which my truck has but does not have the camera prewired here.
red is video signal+
grey is video signal-
black 6.8V for factor camera power.

I am not using the K3 plug at all and have some ******* wiring to the pins on back of HU where the K3 and K6 would go use the backup camera. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Attachments

#37 ·
Alright all.......i have finally found the time to address some of the issues I reported and have an update for you. Sorry for the delay, between peewee, JV, and JH football games and practice, starting back to college work after a 14 year "break", and major projects coming due at work, i haven't had time to even think about my truck.

You can scroll up in the thread to review the issues and history. My truck was a 2011 CM nonJBL non nav. I found a source for the J6 connector. You can email him at this address tahirmallick@hotmail.com. He told me I could share this and he would be glad to have any business we send his way. He provided the connector with the pins and wire for the speed sensor and reverse sensor installed, took Paypal, rec'd it in about 4 days. $15 cost.*

If you review this thread or you will find all the reference material to find all the plug info. I tapped the speed sensor wire from the K3 plug pin 3, white wire. This is the 20 pin plug behind the radio. The reverse signal can be tapped from the AJ2 plug pin 3, blue wire. THis connector is located behind the passenger side kick panel. You can google "toyota car navigation installation manual" and you will find links to a toyota install manual that details the connectors. I will try to add this document link on Monday as it is on a different PC.

After this install I have a fully functioning nav unit. Turn by Turn now works.
The XM does not work as this unit does not have a internal tuner.*
THe aux plug seemed to have a differnt plug behind the dash, so it would not work with the new dash plug provided with the unit. So, I left the original dash plug in place and routed the new plug under the center console with my Ipod charger attached. ran the charger cord out the small opening between the cup holder piece of the center console and the 12 volt/cig lighter cubby, attached my ipod and tucked it away in the center console with no wire hanging from the dash plug. So now my ipod and charger are hidden, the aux plug in the dash works, and the USB port in the dash will charge an iphone or ipod, but does not connect to the radio.

All told I am a happy camper now. $315 Nav unit, just cost me some research and sweat.
take care.

#39 ·
That is really good news StockR, Would you be kind enough to provide pictures and steps to accomplish this, a write up? Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.