Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just Replaced OEM '10 Radio with '12 Navigation Unit

128K views 283 replies 67 participants last post by  Brettski15 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Tundra DoubleCab that my father gave me when he passed. So, I definitely am keeping this truck and I don't really want to do too many mods to it. It has the 5.7L V8 and he already had a Magnaflow catback installed. So that is definitely a plus IMO.

Anyway, the OEM unit that was in this was low level to say the least. I have aftermarket equipment in all of my vehicles but I want to try a factory look this time.

So, I bought a 2012 Toyota OEM Navigation system and it is simply plug and play. Steering wheel controls, Aux input, Navigation... everything works.

BTW, I am thinking of getting 2 Sundown Audio SD210's in a ported box for under the seat and a Sundown amp as well.

In the meantime here are a few pics of the installation. I may add a video in the future. I have to get use to the controls but all in all I really like it.

See less See more
#187 ·
Dragos....I'm having a hard time finding the camera wire diagram. I will keep looking. I have already sorted through old emails without any luck. I will go through the forums again to see if I can locate it again for you. I think it really sucks that so many of us have installed this radio and everyone is having the exact same problems but no one has done a good thorough write up on it. And then they only answer questions with vague responses. I will quit my complaint and try to put it together myself. Might take a little while but I won't let this one slip through the cracks.

#189 ·
Out of desperation, I went to the Toyota dealer today... but they seemed like they didnt even want to help... they recommended me to a stereo shop... reluctantly i went there... they got me scheduled for thursday to have a look over my set up......
FRUSTRATING...

anyhow... there are a couple other things that i am having difficulty finding.
Anyone know where I can find brackets for the 2013 jbl nav? i used my stock brackets & the whole nav unit sticks out about 1/2"
Also, my truck never had the bluetooth microphone, any idea where i can find the mic & amplifier?
the guys in the part dept. were unable to help with either one of these...

Thanks...

#190 ·
on a 2013 which cable behind the radio is the k6 cable? I found the kick panel one but I need the other cable.

#191 ·
Those that have swapped in OEM NAV, where do you get map updates from? I noticed going to the shore this past weekend, a road that has been there for 2 years is not on the map and showed me driving through a bunch of fields. Although driving through fields may have been more fun, I was just curious where I can obtain updates for the map on the SD card.

#194 · (Edited)
Hey guys, maybe someone can answer this for me. I just changed my stock radio out with a Nav system from a 2013, non-jbl. I have read all through this thread but still have this question about the USB. I noticed that when I plug my phone into the USB connection, it will charge but I cannot use the USB function on the stereo. I have read that the USB plug will not work but should it still have power to it?

Jason

#197 ·
Update on my non-jbl replacement nav system...

I have read that the USB function will no longer work once I switch to a nav system. When I plug my Iphone 4s into the USB I can charge my phone but cannot access the USB function. So tonight I tried to use Entunes, and it worked. This part is a little weird though. I have my Iphone 4s plugged into the USB plug and all my apps worked. When I unplugged my phone a message came across the screen saying my connection was unplugged. My question is, if the USB doesn't work, how I was able to use Entunes, and why did the message come across the screen? In my wifes '13 Four Runner, she needed to have her Iphone plugged in, in order for Entunes to work. In my Tundra, it still worked with the phone unplugged.

Jason

#199 ·
So you were able to get everything working properly by only connecting 1 of 3 wires on the K6 plug? Hmm, I wonder what the other wires do exactly. I have the K6 plug and NAV unit, but just have not gotten around to installing.

I am currently in the process of working out a SAT Radio option on the Entune Nav.

#206 ·
For the usb get the new harness then splice the white red black cables and tie them in to the original cable. The new plug looks like the xm plug.

#208 ·
Yes it will power up but wont show on the radio. You need a new usb harness which has a plug that looks like xm radio plug. Cost $50 some guy on this forum or the tundra geek site sells them. Once you have the plug usb will fully work. Then do the cable swap to get aux working on the new plug. Got mine working just fine both usb and aux work.

#209 ·
Only prom I have I cant get backup camera nor bluetooth to work. Diagram pdf I have is not accurate.

#211 ·
Same here. Really want my bluetooth to work I tried everything. Ill prob take some time off work soon and spend a day to figure it out.

#215 ·
Need to rewire some cables to get it going. Ill figure it out just need time. If someone successfully got a 12 jbl nav bluetooth to work on a 08 tundra limited jbl please let me know.

#217 ·
Ok so I have an update in my endeavor to have a working Entune unit in my 2011 DC. I have the K6 connector and what I believed would be an answer to the SAT radio dilemma.

The install of the unit was a breeze and I tapped the K6 connector to the speed sensor wire only, leaving the reverse signal wire untapped. The UNIT shows the map and my vehicle fine. Turn-by-turn is a bit finicky and I am not sure if it is due to the reverse wire being left untapped. I can enter a destination and the route highlights blue, but it doesn't actually prompt me to turn; however, it knows when I arrive and lets me know by telling me. Hopefully this is a quick fix, but I am not sure why the reverse signal would cause this issue.

On to the SAT radio...so I got SAT radio to function properly, but in the process I lost my steering wheel controls and USB power. The unit is a factory Toyota tuner made by pioneer and I got the fit kit that I believed would work. The antenna and 20 pin connector plugs into the tuner and then a single harness connects the tuner to the radio via a 12 pin connection. The 12 pin plug on the truck harness is essentially left without a home and within this plug is the steering wheel controls and USB power.

I need to figure out which fit kit works with this year Tundra. If I had a 12 pin to 20 pin cable I believe it would work properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.