Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just Replaced OEM '10 Radio with '12 Navigation Unit

128K views 283 replies 67 participants last post by  Brettski15 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Tundra DoubleCab that my father gave me when he passed. So, I definitely am keeping this truck and I don't really want to do too many mods to it. It has the 5.7L V8 and he already had a Magnaflow catback installed. So that is definitely a plus IMO.

Anyway, the OEM unit that was in this was low level to say the least. I have aftermarket equipment in all of my vehicles but I want to try a factory look this time.

So, I bought a 2012 Toyota OEM Navigation system and it is simply plug and play. Steering wheel controls, Aux input, Navigation... everything works.

BTW, I am thinking of getting 2 Sundown Audio SD210's in a ported box for under the seat and a Sundown amp as well.

In the meantime here are a few pics of the installation. I may add a video in the future. I have to get use to the controls but all in all I really like it.

See less See more
#153 ·
I will post it this weekend. The XM piece is a Pioneer box that T. Muhammad the K6 source was able to sell me. Like I say I will get the write up and pics hopefully with P/N posted this weekend.
Thanks for all the help guys, couldn't have done it without you all.

#155 ·
I haven't dug too much into the camera, mainly because I'm wanting to do a forward facing as well. I can't decide which monitor I want to you use for the front camera and rear camera, since I know have the mirror as well as the radio. Hoping to address this by the end of the month and will have a camera update posting ho to.

#159 ·
Not trying to revive but rather inform all that have subscribed to this thread....back up cam definitely works on this head unit! Just had it completed yesterday. Problem is that I believe that you have to have the mirror also. I do but the point is that maybe someone can figure out how to do it with out the mirror? Also, when splitting the signal between the mirror and HU, there will be these very faint but visible lines that continually run down the monitor like interference or something. Not bad at all....in fact most probably wouldn't even notice it!

#163 ·
I don't think they are satellite ready which is a fail for me as I really enjoy my XM radio stations....more important to me to have that than navigation.

#168 ·
Just to update anyone looking, I ordered the K6 connector yesterday from the address previously listed. I o not think an hour passed between the time I first emailed him and I got a tracking number.

At this point, I am just left figuring out how to add the satellite radio.

#170 ·
Any new solution to getting the USB/aux dash plug in my2012 non jbl to work with the soon to be installed 2012 non jbl nav? I am told the factory harness will not plug in to my new nav head unit and the head unit did not come with a new cable. I can't go without the iPod AND without xm (going to work on that next...think I have a solution)

#174 · (Edited)
Ok, after a lot of trial and error, I got the Mic to work last night.
I used a factory Mic that has 4 pins and they plug into the radio via connector K32 (Part number will be posted at the end of this post).
So the way that I did it since I did not have the wiring for it in the roof liner is that I took a bunch of shielded wire that was at one point in time used for data transfer between computers. I stripped the wires out and found that individual wire were rather thin in my eyes so I doubled them up. Soldered everything and heat shrank it all too.

The factory mic had 4 color wires coming from it. Red Black Yellow and White. Those went into some shielded thing that changes over to smaller wires before it clips into the Mic itself. The Mic amplifier is built into the whole unit and not into the overhead console.

So, like I stated, I tried every possible combination of wires and finally found the correct one last night while working on getting this wired up.

Here is the factory wiring for the Mic:

However we are missing the wiring that goes from the Mic amplifier to the W7 connector which is the same connector that powers the overhead consol lighting and so on.
With that missing, I just ran the wires from the overhead console to behind the radio.

Now, when you look at the Mic connector, you will see 4 pins. This time I'm referring to the connector and pins not the side where the wires go into (though I will reference it a too). Looking into it, with the release lever at the top, Pin 1 (in my diagram) will be top right. Pin 2 is top left. Pin 3 is bottom right. and Pin 4 is bottom left.

The correct and final working configuration that I found is the following:

Red color from Mic to pin1 goes to connector K32 Pin 2
White wire from Mic to pin 2 goes to connector K32 Pin 5
Yellow wire from Mic to pin 3 goes to connector K32 Pin 1
Black wire from Mic to pin 4 goes to connector K32 Pin 3
Pin 6 on the K32 connector is the shield wire for the cable. Connect this also

I will make a good diagram with colors here shortly.

Part number from toyota for the K32 connector is 90980-12551 and is White in color.

Mic wire colors:

From the wiring side, the proper pin and color combinations (as per toyota wiring diagrams) are as follows:

Pin 1 - White goes to K32 pin 5
Pin 2 - Red goes to K32 pin 2
Pin 3 - Black goes to K32 pin 3
Pin 4 - Yellow goes to K32 pin 1

#177 ·
You are missing a wire. Must be connected to parking brake or it won't work. And the answer to the previous USB problem....you need to either purchase the new USB port with harness which is NOT available at all from the dealership or find someone very skilled at wire schematics and try to modify what you have.

#181 ·
So it is my port in the dash that I need to change or the cable from the new nav unit TO my existing dash port? The harnass from the "old" one plugs right into my nav unit and gets power...just no signal on the USB. The AUX does work and that is my temporary work around.

#178 ·
BTW, the install states that you need to hook up the reverse signal to the navi unit also. I just connected the speed sensor from the gauge cluster to the middle pin of the K6 connector. This activated the turn by turn direction and it works perfectly.

The only thing that happens which I think would be prevented by the reverse signal is that when I move in reverse, the map or car symbol flips 180 degrees just like the stick to windshield GPS units. However, everything else works perfectly.

I also might add that I did not hook up the parking brake wire either...

#179 ·
I just purchased the K6 plug for this HU, and trying to get info on the XM as well. Toyota told me that the Receiver 86180-0W032 and Fit kit PT546-34090 would work with this HU, but going to see what T. Mallick has to say. My HU arrives tomorrow, so excited to get this thing set up.

#180 ·
Alright, posting up in case anyone else runs across this. I was determining if my connections to the K6 were working based on the inability to select the turn by turn option in map settings. Well, that was my mistake. Once I got on the road and moving with a destination in, it worked and I got turn by turn. It is actually quite slick. I did not have to make any connections for the parking break.

Now I am left, like others, trying to figure out how to get an ipod connection and get my XM working. My truck had XM so I already have the antenna lead (square) behind the head unit. I am wondering if I bought the OEM XM tuner (or the one linked elsewhere...maybe from SCC) if it would plug in. I am willing to try just about anything to get that and my iPod working.

#183 ·
Bump!
Anyone?

I went ahead and connected the parking brake wire. Still no reverse camera.

Wire Cable Electrical wiring Electrical connector Technology

Confirmation of reverse signal and parking brake signal

Electronics Technology Electronic device Vehicle Car

Mic connector

Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Cable Electrical connector

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Wire Cable Technology Finger Electronics

Pin 18 & 5 are crossed so that the Bluetooth may work

Video signal goes to the SPDT switch, power for the camera is left unused as camera already is receiving current from overhead monitor, and microphone wires are left disconnected.

Anyone know what's wrong with my setup? I'm giving the hu reverse signal but am not getting the reverse camera to come on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#184 ·
Sorry for the late response. Just got home from a trip. The reverse camera did not display for me until the P brake connection was made. I have a complete list of wires that I put together for my installer so I will just copy and paste it here and hopefully it helps everyone. Not much but it was enough for him to figure it out perfectly.

Gps instructions
post # 62 has instructions for gps wiring
[Want To Sell] F/S- 07-12 Tundra navigation radio!!! - Page 6

Green-Reverse
White-Speed signal
Red-Parking brake

#186 ·
Brylonator, maybe you can post those wires that you speak of.
I went ahead and disconnected the P-Brake wire from the cigarette lighter ground and actually tapped into the parking brake wire..
STILL NO DICE

i'll admit, i'm getting frustrated because this is a straightforward install, wiring setup.. and it's not working... yet all the wires are as they should be....

Hopefully your wiring schematic/instructions will reveal something... or i'll just have to strip everything down to its basics and run the camera straight to the HU and the reverse wire straight to the HU to confirm that it really works...
i'm just trying to avoid having to do ALL that re-wiring if its not necessary...
in theory it should be working...
there's V+, V-, there's a reverse signal, a speed signal, and a p-brake signal.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.